Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 14 2009, 01:42 AM   #511
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: The unofficial Rock Band thread.

^Ugh, you guys don't even have RB2 yet? Sorry, I guess Harmonix hates you guys
Old August 14 2009, 06:22 AM   #512
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Harmonix isn't helping matters with Beatles and Lego.

Yeah, there are some new features and the Beatles wank aesthetic for Beatles fans... but there's no reason why the songs can't just be available for RB2 for people who don't really care about any of the trappings.
No it's not just the "dreamscapes" or whatever they call them. It's also the up-to-three singers harmonizing that's unique to the game.

Really is it that big of a deal? Guitar Hero is much worse with it and if that's what it takes to actually get The Beatles to be playable in a rhythm game, so be it. Christ, you still can't download their songs on any digital platform like Amazon or iTunes. I'm still surprised this is happening at all.

And why knock a Lego Rock Band? It's meant for a younger audience and you're obviously not the target demographic; it's not meant to impress you. At least The Beatles: Rock Band actually does have added game mechanics unlike the Guitar Hero Aerosmith/Metallica/Van Halen games.
Old August 14 2009, 09:09 AM   #513
Hermiod
Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
^Ugh, you guys don't even have RB2 yet? Sorry, I guess Harmonix hates you guys
We do, just not on the Wii. It's out on Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2009, 04:07 PM   #514
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Messianni wrote: View Post

Yeah, there are some new features and the Beatles wank aesthetic for Beatles fans... but there's no reason why the songs can't just be available for RB2 for people who don't really care about any of the trappings.
No it's not just the "dreamscapes" or whatever they call them. It's also the up-to-three singers harmonizing that's unique to the game.

Really is it that big of a deal? Guitar Hero is much worse with it and if that's what it takes to actually get The Beatles to be playable in a rhythm game, so be it. Christ, you still can't download their songs on any digital platform like Amazon or iTunes. I'm still surprised this is happening at all.

And why knock a Lego Rock Band? It's meant for a younger audience and you're obviously not the target demographic; it's not meant to impress you. At least The Beatles: Rock Band actually does have added game mechanics unlike the Guitar Hero Aerosmith/Metallica/Van Halen games.
The Beatles game apparently also features an actual story mode, with rendered cut scenes, and progressing through it apparently unlocks tons of archival photos, interviews and video footage. In other words, it sounds like Harmonix is going for a different experience to the game's presentation, one which is geared to be really rewarding for Beatles fans.

And the Guitar Hero: Metallica game did add a few things, most notably the Expert+ drumming mode that adds a second pedal for the .001% of players who can actually handle it...
Old August 14 2009, 06:47 PM   #515
Yoda
Rear Admiral

DLC for next week:
HMXHenry - RockBand.com wrote:
Tracks available on Xbox 360 (Aug. 18) and PLAYSTATION 3 system (Aug. 20):

Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - There’s No Other Way
Dropkick Murphys - I’m Shipping Up to Boston
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
Foo Fighters - All My Life
Foo Fighters - I’ll Stick Around
Foo Fighters - Lonely as You

(All tracks are original master recordings)
Blind Melon was fun enough in WT. Not very hard though, probably not worth the double dip. Definitely going to pick up Foo Fighters. The free Dropkick Murphys tracks were pretty good in GH3 so I might pick that up if it sounds interesting. The rest I'll probably skip. Maybe Eve 6 for when people come over to play full band, that kind of popular song always goes over well.
Old August 14 2009, 06:51 PM   #516
Hermiod
Admiral

I too will be picking up the Foo's tracks.
Old August 14 2009, 06:57 PM   #517
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Grabbin the Foo Fighters, and definately Dropkick Murphys, what a great song!
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2009, 11:00 PM   #518
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Grabbin the Foo Fighters, and definately Dropkick Murphys, what a great song!
If they released the "Blackout" album, I would snap that up.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 01:37 PM   #519
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

For GH:WT

Guitar Hero: World Tour gets a fresh injection of DLC with the Activision Track Pack today, which features music from actual Activision employees' bands. Perhaps the most noteworthy quality of this newest track pack, however, is its low, low price of free. Here's what you'll get:

Awaken's "The Silence is Deafening"
H is Orange's "Nothing All the Time"
Hundred Reasons' "I'll Never Know"
Oh, and Activision's press release also mentions Steve Ouimette's "Dueling Banjos" will release next week. It will be the last DLC release before the release of Guitar Hero 5 on September 1.
Old August 17 2009, 03:31 PM   #520
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Messianni wrote: View Post

The Beatles game apparently also features an actual story mode, with rendered cut scenes, and progressing through it apparently unlocks tons of archival photos, interviews and video footage. In other words, it sounds like Harmonix is going for a different experience to the game's presentation, one which is geared to be really rewarding for Beatles fans.

And the Guitar Hero: Metallica game did add a few things, most notably the Expert+ drumming mode that adds a second pedal for the .001% of players who can actually handle it...
I hate Actiblizzion, but I think Harmonix is getting a free pass for doing the exact same thing.
It's exactly like the AC/DC thing, except that at least they let you put the songs into Rock Band proper.

Maybe there's junk for people who like the Beatles. Ultimately, I only care about the songs. If I wanted an "experience", I'd watch Across the Universe or whatever that movie was called.

And don't get me started on day 1 DLC. Not enough that they make a game where you're locked into the platform... you buy the game for 60 bucks and then find out you have to buy another album online if you want more of their songs. Thanks, but no thanks. No band is worth that trouble, however prolific and important they may be.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 04:37 PM   #521
Hermiod
Admiral

^In fairness, the AC/DC "game" was just a massively cut down version of Rock Band with nothing but AC/DC tracks but nothing distinctively "AC/DC" about it - you couldn't actually play "as" AC/DC.

Aerosmith, Metallica and Van Halen (and Beatles) are a lot better in that regard.
Old August 17 2009, 05:52 PM   #522
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Just an idea how they could expand on a band-branded version:

Main band would be Genesis leading to songs by Peter Gabriel solo and Phil Collins solo as well as Mike + The Mechanics through Mike Rutherford leading to Paul Carrack solo...
So basically all artists/bands are connected to eachother...
Old August 17 2009, 08:04 PM   #523
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^In fairness, the AC/DC "game" was just a massively cut down version of Rock Band with nothing but AC/DC tracks but nothing distinctively "AC/DC" about it - you couldn't actually play "as" AC/DC.

Aerosmith, Metallica and Van Halen (and Beatles) are a lot better in that regard.
Yeah, but I mean... the way these games are now, it's like we're stuck in the 90s with 5 CD changers and crap like that. There's a reason why people have thousands of songs on a hard drive - so they don't have to go through the mess of changing discs after every other song.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old August 18 2009, 04:15 AM   #524
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Maybe there's junk for people who like the Beatles. Ultimately, I only care about the songs. If I wanted an "experience", I'd watch Across the Universe or whatever that movie was called.

And don't get me started on day 1 DLC. Not enough that they make a game where you're locked into the platform... you buy the game for 60 bucks and then find out you have to buy another album online if you want more of their songs. Thanks, but no thanks. No band is worth that trouble, however prolific and important they may be.
Well if you're determined to be a whiny jerk about it, there's nothing we can say to convince you otherwise. Go ahead, play your songs that you only care about, pissing and moaning about having to pay to get more of them, boo hoo, while the rest of us have a good time having fun and maybe expanding our horizons a bit.
Old August 18 2009, 09:50 AM   #525
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Hey, I've spent hundreds of dollars on Rock Band. I own all the track packs even, so I can rock out to Kenny Rogers alongside Journey.

I just think it's shitty that now there are three different Rock Band games that are essentially incompatible with each other. I'm perfectly happy with having 300 songs in one game. If they expect me to buy two other games and swap discs AFTER setting the import song precedent of Rock Band 2, I think I have the right to be annoyed.

I'm still excited for the future of Rock Band, especially because anyone can sell their songs on the marketplace. While I think the deal for the artists on that front is a little raw (30% of each sale seems stingy, but oh well), now there's no reason to complain about which songs are in the game. We might even enter a phase where people prefer the charting of some indie programmer over the charting of Harmonix employees. It'd be awesome if charting becomes as important to the identity of the song as much as the actual instruments.

Still... they didn't have join the Activision bandwagon and milk the genre to death. Maybe they could have stood their ground with Apple/The Beatles and asked that their game be compatible with the main game. Maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal if they had gave up on the Beatles and let Activision do a cheap throwaway game (they're giving Van Halen for free now) while maintaining some of the promise of the single platform game.

And hell, I don't even know how the Lego spinoff came out. Just release a "kids songs track pack" if that was the intent of this branding. Even the DLC will be a mess now - you'll have songs that only work with Beatles, songs that only work with Lego and songs that only work with the "main" game. How absurd is that? Especially when the basics - the song and the charting - are exactly the same across the three games?

I just hope they announce a Rock Band 3 next year so that they can unify the three games back into a single platform again.