Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 2 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Servo
Rear Admiral

Uncharted: The Movie - WTF is happening?

Ok, I'm not one to pre-judge films and TV. I've always adopted a "wait and see" attitude towards stuff like that, rather than take the easy road of slating something before it's even been made, but what I'm hearing about David O. Russell's movie adaptation of the Uncharted games is really testing my resolve in this matter (as anyone who reads my Twitter feed can attest to).

As if it wasn't bad enough that they've cast a man with zero charisma (Mark Wahlberg) as the lead character, it also seems that the premise will now have absolutely nothing to do with the games themselves either...

"This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities ... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice ... We'll have the family dynamic, which we've done in a couple of movies now. And then you take that and put it on the bigger, more muscular stage of an international action picture, but also put all the character stuff in it. That's a really cool idea to me."
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/01/da...charted-movie/

Seriously? WTF?

I mean, I get that they want to make money off the Uncharted name, but I don't get the point of generating a shitload of interest in an Uncharted film, but then seemingly making every effort to piss off 99% of the people who were guaranteed to be in line and coughing up for a ticket on release day.
Old December 2 2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: Uncharted: The Movie - WTF is happening?

"This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities ... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice
That sounds like a piece of shit. Looks like it is heading towards another rubbish game to movie adaption.

Hopefully the next Uncharted game will continue on to be a high quality affair and ignores the movie if it does end up as terrible as it sounds.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
PKerr
Rear Admiral

I don't have a problem with Wahlberg in most of the movies I've seen him in but he is TOTALLY wrong as Nathan Drake
Nathan Fillon on the other hand would have been the perfect choice.
I can safely say that I wont be lending my dollars to the box office total.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

David O. Russell. Nuff said. I wouldn't even waste a bullet on putting that c*nt down.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Servo
Rear Admiral

The only film I've seen of his was Three Kings, which I like. However, it seems like he's channeling fucking Uwe Boll on this one.

There can't be any way that he's experienced the source material and come to the conclusion that Mark Wahlberg can pull off the lead role. I have no problem with Wahlberg in general - he was decent enough in the aforementioned Three Kings - but there is no way he can pull off the cheeky charisma of Nathan Drake. Someone like Nathan Fillion, or Bradley Cooper would be an infinitely better choice.

Then, Russell compounds the issue of bad casting, by pulling a completely unrelated premise out of his arse. One that bears no resemblance to the Uncharted universe. It sounds like something more akin to The Mummy sequel.

Without going on too much of a fanboy rant, it just seems like he either couldn't give a shit, or he really has no knowledge of the source material. Either way, I'm willing to bet he's going to lose a decent chunk of his intended audience.
Old December 2 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Mark Wahlberg doing another Max Payne.......that's it basically done, i mean how can a computer character with a voice over portray more character in the game than a actor on film playing the role. LOL

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Each time a piece of news comes out regarding this movie, I get a little less excited. Part of me just wants to pay Naughty Dog $20 for a DVD animated with the game engine and voice cast.
Old December 7 2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Jono
Rear Admiral

Only just saw Bradley Cooper in A-Team and thought that with a bit of tweaking his "Face" would make a pretty decent "Nathan Drake".
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Seventh White Boomer wrote: View Post
Only just saw Bradley Cooper in A-Team and thought that with a bit of tweaking his "Face" would make a pretty decent "Nathan Drake".
He's got the right kind of attitude for it, I think. I'd take him over Mark Wahlberg.
Old December 7 2010, 05:25 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Haha, that's fucked up.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 01:51 AM   #11
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Russell supposedly wanted to turn the devil-may-care adventurer's saga in to a family drama--with Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci as fellow Drakes?--about a secret cadre of enforcers amongst the antiquities and elite classes.
Variety reports that Russell's leaving the yet-to-lens project over "creative differences" with Sony Pictures. The write-up speculates that "Uncharted" may go all the way back to the drawing board, jettisoning the previous script and the likelihood that Wahlberg, DeNiro or Pesci will be sticking around for another director's vision.
David O. Russell Leaves "Uncharted" Movie Project
http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/05/davi...es-unchart.php

David O. Russell ankles 'Uncharted'
Split was amicable, due to creative differences
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118037657

so back to development...hell.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 01:59 AM   #12
Skywalker
Admiral

Fine by me. I'd rather have no Uncharted movie than what Russell was planning.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 02:03 AM   #13
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Hah, due to creative differences with Sony. Considering it's one of their biggest exclusive franchises, I'm sure they wanted to protect it from having a terrible movie based on it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 02:43 AM   #14
Servo
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Fine by me. I'd rather have no Uncharted movie than what Russell was planning.
This.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Hah, due to creative differences with Sony. Considering it's one of their biggest exclusive franchises, I'm sure they wanted to protect it from having a terrible movie based on it.
And this.

Good fucking riddance.
Old May 28 2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Jax
Admiral

Good we can have a Nathan Fillion Uncharted movie now . Part of me would like to see an Uncharted movie set before the games so we can see the early days of Sully/Drake and possibly even the first meeting with Chloe and Flynn. Elena could always appear in a sequel
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote