New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 19 2010, 08:48 PM   #511
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
There's also an early reference or two to Kirk's cabin being on Deck 12.

To paraphrase James Woods in "Shark", tech references are relative. Pick the ones that work.
Yep, that obviously conflicts w/the more logical deck 5 referances.

The weapons locker on deck eight/H might be workable though, since it makes sense that such a thing would be near the aux. control room? Maybe we can pretend the referance was really to "eighth" deck rather than "H" deck.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 07:16 AM   #512
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I think I had the brig on Deck 9, but then, with Shaw's deck breakdowns, it looks like there's only room for nine decks, so I'm gonna have to rework a bunch of stuff.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 07:35 PM   #513
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

I think I had the brig on Deck 9, but then, with Shaw's deck breakdowns, it looks like there's only room for nine decks, so I'm gonna have to rework a bunch of stuff.
Did you mean eight decks in Shaw's scheme, for the primary hull? Anywho, Yeah, also according to his research MJ only had 20 decks total, so it seems the deck 21/22 referances from DS9:T&T's and ENT:IAMD,PII is out, but then again, there's nothing important or deck specific there, so I guess you could relocate these things, or else just ignore them altogether?

P.S. By the way, I do applaud Memory Alpha for attempting to provide the "raw data" as it were, without interpreting it, however contradictory it may be.

Last edited by TIN_MAN; February 20 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old February 20 2010, 11:03 PM   #514
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Like I've always said, I want as much authoritative data I can get ahold of, so I'll know when I have to start fudging things.
Old February 21 2010, 01:00 AM   #515
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Just out of curiosity then, what level of "canonicity" do you put on the DS9 and IAMD homage episodes? Do you consider them just as valid as TOS for referances, or do you just "cherry pick" what you like from them?

Last edited by TIN_MAN; February 21 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old February 21 2010, 01:01 AM   #516
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Oops, sorry double posty.
Old February 21 2010, 06:30 AM   #517
doctorwho 03
Captain

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity then, what level of "canonicity" do you put on the DS9 and IAMD homage episodes? Do you consider them just as valid as TOS for referances, or do you just "cherry pick" what you like from them?
Just to put in my 2 cents worth, I think the DS9 and ENT homage episodes are both perfectly valid sources for references. Of course it's all depends on a person's point of view.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
doctorwho 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 07:45 AM   #518
Albertese
Commodore

For my money, I would think of Trials and Tribbleations as authoritative, but feel free to cherry pick the In a Mirror Darkly stuff to some extant, seeing as how it was the Defiant and not the Enterprise.

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 05:29 PM   #519
Birdog
Commander

The DS9 reference could be a simple numbering scheme foul up on the character's parts. Most cut-aways I've seen have a space above the bridge that appears habitable for maintenance and what not. Perhaps the TOS crew consider that as deck 0 with deck 1-20 below. That would give you 21 decks without having a deck 21.
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 08:29 PM   #520
BK613
Captain

birdog wrote: View Post
The DS9 reference could be a simple numbering scheme foul up on the character's parts. Most cut-aways I've seen have a space above the bridge that appears habitable for maintenance and what not. Perhaps the TOS crew consider that as deck 0 with deck 1-20 below. That would give you 21 decks without having a deck 21.
Also possible that those two-decks-high spaces we see along the centerline of the engineering hull aren't two decks high outboard of those centralized spaces.
Old February 21 2010, 09:44 PM   #521
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

In other words, they're about as authoritative as TOS itself.

A lot of this boils down to bouncing back and forth between putting together what's depicted on screen and putting together what works and looking up on screen references to justify it.

Fortunately, so many of the tech references are so all over the map that it's not hard to do, just as it's possible to justify Cary's version, or Aridas', of FJ's, for that matter. It's all a question of which parts to embrace and which to ignore.
Old February 22 2010, 10:23 AM   #522
Mytran
Fleet Captain

There's also an early reference or two to Kirk's cabin being on Deck 12.

To paraphrase James Woods in "Shark", tech references are relative. Pick the ones that work.
Who's to say the captain didn't just move cabins at some point? That works perfectly well!

The tricky bit is fitting his cabin, Rand's cabin and a stretch of corridor into Deck 12 (usually a small amount of space in the dorsal!)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 10:08 PM   #523
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
The tricky bit is fitting his cabin, Rand's cabin and a stretch of corridor into Deck 12 (usually a small amount of space in the dorsal!)
Yeah, that's the main reason (for me) that this location doesn't make sense, if it was just the referance to the deck level alone, we could fudge it as you suggest, but being it's compounded by the visual cues, it's probably best just to chalk it up to a mistake and ignore it altogether? Anyway, what are we to make of deck 3? It seems that we might as well give it over entirely to recreational facilities, perhaps with the fancy round rec room from season three in the middle w/other briefing room style rec/lounges surrounding it?
Old February 23 2010, 07:55 AM   #524
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Not to mention enough corridor for Bele and Lokai to chase each other around for 5 minutes!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 07:42 PM   #525
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
Not to mention enough corridor for Bele and Lokai to chase each other around for 5 minutes!
Guess we can assume they circled a few rounds before entering the turbo lift again?