Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 21 2009, 11:03 PM   #481
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

The name Gary Kerr crops up every now and then, but where is his work published? Or was it just done for a studio or something?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 11:32 PM   #482
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Here we go, at least until Shaw comes up with something a bit more final...

Not sure what it's supposed to prove, but doesn't it look kinda freaky?

I wish I had this larger size and clearer.
If it was leading somewhere, I would've kept it larger, but since it doesn't appear to really lead anywhere, I just did this for everyone's amusement.

As soon as Shaw cooks up the final configuration, I'll put together something a bit more monstrous.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 11:36 PM   #483
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Mytran wrote: View Post
The name Gary Kerr crops up every now and then, but where is his work published? Or was it just done for a studio or something?
I don't know if his stuff has been published anywhere, but he is the one guy who's had hands-on access to both the TOS and TMP ship models, and therefore, has the most accurate blueprints, commissioned by Paramount, and are only available to licensees who are doing something related to either of those two ships.

He's also been known to post in these parts, so don't be surprised if he shows up and corrects something I just said.
Old December 22 2009, 02:31 AM   #484
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

i dont know if he ever took a whack at the E-D but i've also seen some great drawings of his, of the E-C before it was converted to the yamato.

i also believe there are still jpegs of his refit drawings over on the culttvman site.
Old December 22 2009, 05:56 AM   #485
Shaw
Commodore

Well, first and foremost, I want everyone to remember that I'm only promising to do my best. I hope to side step issues I've seen in the works of Sinclair and Casimiro, but that doesn't rule out all new errors on my part.

The story that I read of Kerr's access to the original Enterprise was that he wasn't originally able to take all the measurements that he wanted when he was with the model in person and had to rely on Miarecki for additional measurements. His work was linked to a project that has been put on indefinite hold and is therefore unavailable for public viewing (though he has made his work available for private projects).

By contrast, I'm trying to make my work as open to the public as possible for projects just like this one.

I hope to have something a little more useful (at a much higher resolution) as soon as I've gotten the bills out of the way.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 07:47 AM   #486
Ziz
Commodore

Well, Gary's work is being used as reference on the upcoming 1/350 TOS E model kit, so I'm guessing that the project you're referring to was something else.
Old December 22 2009, 08:26 AM   #487
Shaw
Commodore

His plans have been used for a ton of models (like Unobtainium, Master Replicas and Custom Replicas), but his plans themselves are tied up and are not open to the public. Getting a model based on his plans isn't the same as getting his plans any more than getting the PL TOS 1/1000 Enterprise is like getting Sasser's plans (which are also quite nice from what I've seen).

As for his work on the R2 1/350 Enterprise, I'm sure it is quite high quality, but that isn't the real question. The real question is if R2 can make a model. His involvement is nice, but if the model never actually happens it won't have made any difference. At this point, a 1/350 kit is a nice idea people keep dangling in front of us and little more.

His plans have been tied up for years... and while it seems like the 1/350 kit has been talked about for nearly as long, that obviously isn't the project.

But if you want the details, you can always ask him.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 09:38 AM   #488
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Thanks guys - not the best news about Kerr's plans, but at least I'm a little more enlightened now!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 11:49 PM   #489
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Ziz wrote: View Post
Well, Gary's work is being used as reference on the upcoming 1/350 TOS E model kit, so I'm guessing that the project you're referring to was something else.
My understanding is that Gary himself is doing the drawings for the model (so far, twenty-six drawings of just the nacelles!)
Old December 23 2009, 01:47 AM   #490
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
If it was leading somewhere, I would've kept it larger, but since it doesn't appear to really lead anywhere, I just did this for everyone's amusement.

As soon as Shaw cooks up the final configuration, I'll put together something a bit more monstrous.
Yay.

I like monstrous.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 06:53 AM   #491
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I wanna do these nice and ginormous.
Old December 26 2009, 02:50 AM   #492
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Just to let y'all know that I'm not completely idle on this matter, here's a little something I doodled on the back of an Einstein Brothers Bagels receipt...

Old December 27 2009, 08:32 AM   #493
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Where's the Funland Water Turbine ride?
Old December 27 2009, 05:34 PM   #494
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

In the holodeck, where it belongs.
Old January 2 2010, 11:21 PM   #495
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

First swipe....