Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 12 2009, 06:43 PM   #376
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

I'm starting to rethink the nacelle design, to better match up with the Cochrane's Phoenix and the Galileo, which we are reasonably sure did not have Bussard collectors, yet had those domes on the front of their nacelles (to be fair, the ones on the shuttlecraft didn't light up, although I'll have to take another look at the remastered version of "The Galileo Seven" to be sure on that).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:38 PM   #377
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I'm starting to rethink the nacelle design, to better match up with the Cochrane's Phoenix and the Galileo, which we are reasonably sure did not have Bussard collectors, yet had those domes on the front of their nacelles (to be fair, the ones on the shuttlecraft didn't light up, although I'll have to take another look at the remastered version of "The Galileo Seven" to be sure on that).
Interestingly, I've been rethinking these as well.

I still really like the idea that the domes are central to the collection of matter, but I'm less convinced that they're actually the "scoops" themselves.

If you take a look in my thread, you'll notice where and how I've placed my hydrogen tanks. What I've started to believe is that the "black ring" around the outside is, in fact, the "hydrogen scoop."

So, then, what's the dome? Well... it's the "space/time sink." (Yes, borrowing a bit from FJ there.)

But it has the interesting property of "sucking" space gas towards it... looking like a gravity source, but projecting that in a conical region ahead of the nacelle.

When the gas streams into the dome, most of it "sloughs off" but the hydrogen is permitted to filter in immediately adjacent to (but not INSIDE) the dome... it then continues to "slough over" the front of the nacelle, where it is captured by the "black ring" and directed into the storage tanks.

This works on a lot of levels. It makes the TMP nacelle fronts "make sense" (even without the "space/time sink," per-se, the nacelle still looks like a gravity well and the captured matter is collected by the black grill, just like in TOS). It fits with the idea that the TOS domes don't really look like "swirling superheated gas" but still have an "aspect of superheated gas."

I'm still playing with my idea... not sure what the details of the mechanism will be... but I think I've become convinced that the domes aren't actually primarily a matter-collection device. They just serve double-duty, as the "attractor" for the matter collected by another device, as well as being central to the TOS-era warp drive design.

Thoughts?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:21 AM   #378
Albertese
Commodore

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Interestingly, I've been rethinking these as well.

I still really like the idea that the domes are central to the collection of matter, but I'm less convinced that they're actually the "scoops" themselves.

If you take a look in my thread, you'll notice where and how I've placed my hydrogen tanks. What I've started to believe is that the "black ring" around the outside is, in fact, the "hydrogen scoop."

So, then, what's the dome? Well... it's the "space/time sink." (Yes, borrowing a bit from FJ there.)

But it has the interesting property of "sucking" space gas towards it... looking like a gravity source, but projecting that in a conical region ahead of the nacelle.

When the gas streams into the dome, most of it "sloughs off" but the hydrogen is permitted to filter in immediately adjacent to (but not INSIDE) the dome... it then continues to "slough over" the front of the nacelle, where it is captured by the "black ring" and directed into the storage tanks.

This works on a lot of levels. It makes the TMP nacelle fronts "make sense" (even without the "space/time sink," per-se, the nacelle still looks like a gravity well and the captured matter is collected by the black grill, just like in TOS). It fits with the idea that the TOS domes don't really look like "swirling superheated gas" but still have an "aspect of superheated gas."

I'm still playing with my idea... not sure what the details of the mechanism will be... but I think I've become convinced that the domes aren't actually primarily a matter-collection device. They just serve double-duty, as the "attractor" for the matter collected by another device, as well as being central to the TOS-era warp drive design.

Thoughts?
Actually, this has more or less been my interpretation of things since I was little boy plying with my very first AMT 18" Enterprise. The ribbed black ring seems to be a natural intake. As does the TMP grills, just like you say. As indeed do the yellow/orange grills on the E-D. I forget what the tech manual says about how that all ties together on the Galaxy-class, but it works for me.

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:39 AM   #379
Ziz
Commodore

How about this one - gasses bounce across the surface of the dome into a conical pattern (think wind tunnel smoke here) which then get sucked in at the black ring. The swirling effect and fanblades in the dome are some kind of reaction processing that filters hydrogen from the gasses into the tanks and somehow dissipates or disposes of the rest.
Old October 13 2009, 05:57 AM   #380
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

This could be tricky...
Old October 17 2009, 08:06 PM   #381
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Lessee....just a little thinking out loud for a bit...

One possibility is that the glowy bits and fanblades under the translucent dome are part of the plasma injector mechanism, or some sort of impellor setup to get the warp drive working. Maybe some new tech development, or at least improvement, over what they had back in Archer's day.
Old October 18 2009, 07:13 PM   #382
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Lessee....just a little thinking out loud for a bit...

One possibility is that the glowy bits and fanblades under the translucent dome are part of the plasma injector mechanism, or some sort of impellor setup to get the warp drive working. Maybe some new tech development, or at least improvement, over what they had back in Archer's day.
Well, in my view, the idea of physical "moving parts" there is something I really want to avoid. The "fan blades" aren't really moving parts, but rather "interference patterns" in some sort of energy field. and the "glowy bits" are something similar.

Regardless of whether the thing is a "gas intake" or part of the warp drive itself, it is going to be a field generator of SOME sort, isn't it? No matter how you look at it, it's generating a high-power energy field.

I envision it as almost like a tesla coil in there... "lighting" and so forth... but in a controlled, directed (and semi-uniform) arrangement.

I've always noted that the colors we see are really the primary colors of the hydrogen spectrum, which has always been central to my belief that, yes, this was the "hydrogen collector." But the fact that the thing is filled with hydrogen doesn't mean that it has to be the "collector" for that hydrogen, does it? It's clear that there is hydrogen in there... that's all we know for certain.

(Apparently, JJ Abrams' version of the ship has some other gas in there... I keep thinking that it's argon which fluoresces in "pale blue" but I might be mistaken. Apparently his Enterprise uses those things to collect argon, rather than hydrogen???)
Old October 19 2009, 03:03 AM   #383
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

I'm not so sure JJ's team can even spell "Bussard", let alone be familiar with the concept, so any technical information from that POS design would be only slightly less useful than what could be gleaned from a typical episode of "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger".
Old October 19 2009, 03:06 AM   #384
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure JJ's team can even spell "Bussard", let alone be familiar with the concept, so any technical information from that POS design would be only slightly less useful than what could be gleaned from a typical episode of "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger".
Hey, now... that's not fair... "Rocky Jones" had plenty of things going for it!
Old October 19 2009, 07:32 PM   #385
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

"Jason of Star Command" then?
Old October 19 2009, 08:19 PM   #386
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

"Jason of Star Command" then?
Ummmm... I think you'll have to reach lower, still...

What was that cheesy movie that reused TOS BSG FX shots?

That's more like it, isn't it?
Old October 20 2009, 02:24 AM   #387
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

I don't know about that one, but I do recall some cheesy flick, the title of which escapes me, that reused, start to finish, the effects shots from "Battle Beyond the Stars".
Old October 26 2009, 06:35 AM   #388
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Did anybody ever do a schematic of the NX class nacelles? It might be useful in figuring out the midpoint between Archer's time and TMP, i.e., TOS.
Old October 26 2009, 10:24 AM   #389
Mytran
Fleet Captain

There's a couple on the STAR TREK LCARS BLUEPRINT site, but they look kinda TNG to me:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...-deckplans.php
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 01:34 AM   #390
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

I guess I could bug either Drexler or Eaves...