Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 31 2008, 02:26 AM   #31
Shaw
Commodore

Re: "Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
It would be a lot of work, but perhaps less than building from scratch!
And it might retain a little historical value having that link to the original (though unfinished) model from Phase II.

What I did get from that auction is that this was one of five such ships. And as Starship Polaris noted, esthetically these models in their current form have little value. So maybe someone will attempt a restore of one someday.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 02:24 AM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What did I say, two weeks? I was only off by fifty times that.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 02:59 AM   #33
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Old July 5 2010, 03:03 AM   #34
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Fantastic work, Dennis. Your rendering is so accurate and finely detailed. Are you planning on doing some orthos?
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 03:07 AM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Right now I have no plans at all, actually. I put these shots together pretty quickly because I got wrapped up in finally finishing the lighting and texturing on this thing and then wanted to see what it looked like in "space".

I think it would be nice to work up a credit sequence for the second Star Trek series, though.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; July 5 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old July 5 2010, 04:07 AM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Old July 5 2010, 05:29 AM   #37
Saul
Rear Admiral

Pretty cool.
Old July 5 2010, 05:34 AM   #38
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

It looks surprisingly plain.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 05:39 AM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

One would have to invent a great deal of detail which isn't in the drawings or the model (to the extent completed by Loos) in order to give the ship a level of detail even equivalent to the TOS Enterprise. That was done, for example, in the famous ST:TMP teaser poster incorporating the Phase II ship (a lot of windows were added to that image, among other things).

I've been loathe to do that, at this stage - I added a couple of running lights that aren't documented in either Jefferies plans or the Minor paintings, and that 's about it.

One imagines that if the model had been finished at Brick Price miniatures as designed, the producers might have reevaluated it and had detail added - as in fact happened with the TOS ship after the pilot.
Old July 5 2010, 05:46 AM   #40
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'd start by adding back the surface details from the TOS saucer (since that's what it was supposed to be anyway), then play it be ear from there.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 06:10 AM   #41
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Here's a quick-and-dirty comparison with the Mike Minor painting. The painting itself was never wholly accurate to either Jefferies' drawings or the model under construction (for example, Minor included the three hollows on the underside of the saucer which were a feature of the earliest AMT model kit):

None of the contours of the ship are any more congruent with the TOS ship than were those of the TMP refit - in fact, in most respects the lines of the Phase II ship are very close to the TMP version that was based on it. That means, among other things, that the saucer is not shaped like the TOS saucer and is not the same size - in actuality it could no more be a "refit" of the TOS vessel than the TMP ship could have been.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; July 6 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Replaced original image with more detailed and recent one.
Old July 5 2010, 04:37 PM   #42
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Such a work of Buety you've made here
Old July 5 2010, 04:43 PM   #43
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Very nice work, I really like what you did with the bussard collectors/nacelle front cap.
Old July 5 2010, 04:56 PM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
Very nice work, I really like what you did with the bussard collectors/nacelle front cap.
Thanks. I was never satisfied that I understood from the various color renderings done by Mike Minor exactly what was intended for those nacelle caps.

Some versions of his painting suggest that they might be hull-colored. Others render them as black with blue highlights, in a fashion similar to the main deflector dish (another problematic feature).

The model as constructed showed them as opaque.

And the infamous "23rd Century Odyssey Today" movie poster (which I barely used as reference, at all) shows them as black with blue highlights.

Problem there was that the hull-colored version was boring and the blue-black versions fade into the surrounding dark space leaving visual "holes" in the model.

So...I cheated.

Probably the biggest intentional cheat on my version. I just installed the blinky lights from the TOS ship in the nacelle caps, using the dark blue color scheme on the caps to filter the light.

And, through the miracle of CG, there's a rotating "fan blade" effect installed - even though on a physical model built in 1978 the shape of the nacelle caps would have prevented that apparatus from working.

Changed the conditions of the test, so to speak.
Old July 5 2010, 05:38 PM   #45
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

OMG totally amazing, Dennis. Is there sopposed to be docking ports on the lower part of the bubble of saucer like in the painting? BTW great work and totally amazing.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote