Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 9 2011, 06:27 AM   #256
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: "Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

Psion wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
You can finally watch the Trek to the Future episode here on Syfy. The Brick Price segment with the Phase II ship starts about 9 minutes in.

I don't know what the thing is actually worth, but Brick's thought of $100,000 is totally off-base, as screen-used models didn't go for that.
Thanks for the heads-up and screenshots!

I'm not sure about the price, though. The Enterprise-D went for $576,000 and the Lakota went for $110,000, so maybe Jon's estimate of $10-15,000 was a bit low. On the other hand, the other models were finished, high-profile ships and the Brick Price miniature is unfinished and in pieces without the nacelle pylons, but I'm sure the legendary status of the missing Enterprise compensates ... somewhat.

If I were into collecting, I think I'd be willing to go as high as $35K for that ship and then see if there were a way to mount the nacelles with clear acrylic for display.
Price may be counting on folks wanting their own Phase II Enterprise and, if he can secure the licensing, start cranking out copies for customers with too much money. Why sell the molds for $15,000 when he can maybe get that much per copy?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 12:15 PM   #257
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
However, simply because something is missing from the model I'm not inclined to assume that there was no intention to add it, since the model was never completed - a variation on "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. However, the detail in question does appear on the mold for the outboard half and not the inboard half, which tends to make me think it was not going to be there. Jefferies' plans are not consistent on this detail. It's seen on the inboard side in both the bottom view and cutaway drawing dated Nov. 77), but not the outboard side in the bottom view. It's clearly on the outboard side in the side view dated Sept. 5 77. However, the Nov. 77 cutaway and bottom plan has the note "Drawing not updated to reflect changes made on miniature by Matt Jefferies Nov 77", which contributes to the problem.

I did notice that on the Sept. 5, 1977 plans the two details under the nose of each nacelle cap have been X-ed out, and don't appear to be on the molds or the castings. Those details do appear on the later cutaway drawing, but that features "not updated" note. As such, I'd go with the model as cast on those details: no details under the nose of each nacelle, and that other detail only on the outboard side. YMMV, of course.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; July 10 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 09:00 PM   #258
publiusr
Commodore

I wonder if a low-cost 'styrofoam' version could be had using that mold...
It wouldn't look as nice as this, but..
http://wonderworksweb.com/ftpfolder/...s/image137.jpg
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 10:09 PM   #259
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'd still like to know what's up with that cowcatcher on the hangar doors...
Old July 11 2011, 03:38 AM   #260
Vance
Vice Admiral

Possibly, but it's the nub in the center that makes me wonder.
Wire and LED mount. The bridge dome was supposed to get a new interior light to it and wasn't completed for Phase II. That's why it looks odd in the models.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 08:23 AM   #261
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Vance wrote: View Post
Wire and LED mount. The bridge dome was supposed to get a new interior light to it and wasn't completed for Phase II. That's why it looks odd in the models.
Possibly, but is that logical assumption or actual fact?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 12 2011, 05:43 AM   #262
Vance
Vice Admiral

When I was drawing up my Phase II overview, I had a very nice shot of the missing bridge dome where you could see the inserts quite clearly. Sadly it's been a couple of years now, but I think some of the Phase II model shots should still have the 'upper saucer' picture.
Old July 12 2011, 06:26 AM   #263
Maurice
Vice Admiral

When I was drawing up my Phase II overview, I had a very nice shot of the missing bridge dome where you could see the inserts quite clearly. Sadly it's been a couple of years now, but I think some of the Phase II model shots should still have the 'upper saucer' picture.
I can see there's a sort of Bundt cake pan depression in the top of the bridge, but it looks too shallow to be a light mount.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 12 2011, 02:39 PM   #264
Vance
Vice Admiral

It places on top of the bump, and is secured in place by the (missing) bridge dome. That'll mean that the dome itself will appear to glow, rather than have the lighting coming in from below it. (Also, remember, that this was a fairly large model, and it wouldn't take all that big of a light to fit into that slot.)

I probably should have written a lot of what I found out about the Phase II model when I was redrawing her as the Tikopai. I figured at the time, wrongly, that all the info had been pulled together by someone at that point. Alas, 'tis not to be.
Old July 12 2011, 03:05 PM   #265
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It should be noted that all photographs of the assembled model prior to the decision not to use it are missing any kind of dome or detail at all on the lower saucer hull.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:38 PM   #266
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Since the nub appears to be the same height as the outside top, I don't see how a light could sit atop that central nub and and not press against the dome that would go over it, which could lead to heat/melting issues. Are you sure this wasn't just a piece that would be cut out in order to mount a light?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 12 2011, 10:35 PM   #267
Vance
Vice Admiral

Are you sure this wasn't just a piece that would be cut out in order to mount a light?
It wouldn't press against the dome, it would be covered by it. The dome wasn't going to be a flat piece like with the TOS model (shown on the prints) but a concave thingie (yes, that's the technical term, thingie, dammit!) It was supposed to be a more sophisiticated lighting setup for the ship than what had been done up until that point.

Of course, I do not know if it would have stayed that way, and how practical it would have been when all was said and done. Lastly, of course,the model itself was altered heavily to look like the TMP ship eventually, so it's damn-nigh impossible to check fits, etc., these days.

Damn shame, really. Not my favorite Trek model, but I would have liked to seen her finished.
Old July 13 2011, 01:45 AM   #268
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Might be possible to reverse engineer it, but even then it'd be an educated guess, at best.
Old July 13 2011, 02:50 AM   #269
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Since the nub appears to be the same height as the outside top, I don't see how a light could sit atop that central nub and and not press against the dome that would go over it, which could lead to heat/melting issues. Are you sure this wasn't just a piece that would be cut out in order to mount a light?
That's possible.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:12 AM   #270
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Note that in 1978 LED technology wasn't nearly as advanced as it is today. Discrete LED emitters were capable of red, orange, yellow, and green ... and I'm not even sure green was widely available yet in 1978. Blue and white (blue with a phosphor coat to re-emit the blue in a broader spectrum) options didn't become available until the mid-to-late 1980s.