Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 31 2008, 07:45 AM   #1576
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Blue Warp Nacelles?

just because i'm not wearing a sombrero doesn't mean i'm humourless.
Old July 31 2008, 08:04 AM   #1577
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
MisterGaribaldi wrote: View Post
So, when the film comes out who is going to fire up After Effects and sombreroise the whole damn movie?

Every character, every ship. With enough of us working around the clock it could be done within weeks of release!
I'll sign on for that. Or the trailer, at least.
I'll admit I'm sort of amused by the idea of a full-length Rogue Sombrero Edition -- out there roaming the Internetz, always one step ahead of Paramount's minions, like a virtual V. or a Zorro.
Old July 31 2008, 08:08 AM   #1578
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Then we'll have to see what we can drum up.

Er, though, were this to be any kind of board-wide effort...how would we do it without running afoul of TBBS's anti-piracy policy?
Old July 31 2008, 09:22 AM   #1579
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

well parody is often treated differently..
though that wont work for shot for shot..
hmm
Old July 31 2008, 11:37 AM   #1580
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

The trailer should be doable at least.

Sombrero Trek: Boldly going where no one wants to go...
Old July 31 2008, 12:30 PM   #1581
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Last one for now. This scene demanded Sombrero-ization.

Old July 31 2008, 12:52 PM   #1582
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^Oooh, good choice.
Old July 31 2008, 01:10 PM   #1583
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Awesome. I was going to put a sombrero on Billie Sheep ... but alcohol was more important.
Old July 31 2008, 04:07 PM   #1584
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

AdmiralGarak wrote: View Post
Last one for now. This scene demanded Sombrero-ization.

This is so awesome that it needs a new word...

SOMBRAWESOME!!!
Old July 31 2008, 05:58 PM   #1585
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Then we'll have to see what we can drum up.

Er, though, were this to be any kind of board-wide effort...how would we do it without running afoul of TBBS's anti-piracy policy?
Hem, yeah. Probably getting into "the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions" territory with the full-length thing.

Perhaps some clever framing of critical sequences would be more the ticket. pookha is right about parody having different rules, but not being too greedy has always been one of the big ones.
Old July 31 2008, 07:54 PM   #1586
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Bak_and_Blue wrote: View Post
Um, so what happened to my hero Samuel Cogley (a true comic genius) and where is the report on the romancing of JJ Abrams at Comic Com.
Okay, here's the story.

Let's just say it didn't go exactly as planned.

On Friday, I got really sick (and I almost never get sick). I continued limping along at the Comic-Con for the next several days under huge amounts of medication, but I was a total wreck. Since I was wearing a sombrero, I was at least a handsome, Star Trek loving wreck.

So by Saturday night, I was dying. My other friends had little interest in the "Fringe" panel (which was the only place Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman were going to appear at the Comic-Con), so I knew I was on my own. But since I had given my word, I had to try.

I propped myself up in a chair near the middle of the mostly-empty room and waited for the "questions from the fans" portion of the panel. My throat was so raw that I could barely speak.

Finally, they opened the room to questions, and I got in line, leaving my bag of goodies back at my seat.

I kneeled on the floor along with the others (as instructed by the Microphone Lady) and waited my turn. Unlike most of the other panels, this one was screening questions, so I knew that I was going to have to come up with a "fake" question, or I would have been shut down immediately.

I came up with a fake question that would seque perfectly into my sombrero question. I gave the fake question to Microphone Lady. She pondered it slowly, judging my self worth. I wanted to smack her, but I was too sick. Finally, she gave the nod, indicating that I had passed her arbitrary scrutiny.

Then, the moment of truth. I stood proudly and walked up to the microphone. I adjusted my sombrero for maximum effect. Microphone Lady asked me to stand very close to the microphone and speak clearly. I leaned into the microphone and my throat, dry and raw, made a squawk. Nothing came out. I cleared my throat and tried again.

Now, here is what was supposed to happen:

Cogley: "Fake question blah blah blah blah AND for those of you working on Star Trek, how do you feel about the Star Trek sombrero phenomenon that is sweeping the internet?"

Here is what actually happened:

As soon as I got the last word of my real question out, the microphone instantly went dead. I said "AND" and it was clear that the microphone was no longer on. I kept speaking anyway, hoping it was only a glitch. Microphone Lady rudely stated, "That's it. That's all you get." and rushed me along my way. I have no idea how they cut me off at that instant. It was as if they were reading my mind and knew exactly what I was going to do. I never even paused in-between questions! It was like they were psychic!

Dejected, and sick as a dog, I limped back to my seat to find... that my bag of goodies was gone! What the frak!?! I had only been gone a few minutes! There was no one seated anywhere nearby (nor was there before I asked the question). I felt like Charlie Brown who had just been given a rock. Some guy several rows back said, "Hey, security took your stuff." I thanked him and then approached the nearest Elite (poorly named, apparently) staff member. They told me that they had already taken my stuff down to lost and found. This seemed unlikely, since it had only been a few moments since I got in line.

I went down to lost and found. They said that no one had brought anything to them in days. This was not a good sign. Over the next several days, I went back and forth between Ballroom 20 (where my shit disappeared) and lost and found, to no avail. Basically, I was fucked, and my stuff was gone.

So that's my story. I give myself an 'E' for effort, and an 'F' for execution. And I got fucked in the process.

But I did ask Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman a question while wearing a giant sombrero. And for that, I feel some semblance of pride.
Old July 31 2008, 08:24 PM   #1587
ITElf
Vice Admiral

You're still my hero, Sam.

You battled through raw-throated adversity to do glorious battle with a Microphone Harpy. Which is above and beyond the call of duty.

Gawdblessyersir.

Old July 31 2008, 08:29 PM   #1588
Bak_and_Blue
Captain

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Bak_and_Blue wrote: View Post
Um, so what happened to my hero Samuel Cogley (a true comic genius) and where is the report on the romancing of JJ Abrams at Comic Com.
Okay, here's the story.

On Friday, I got really sick (and I almost never get sick). I continued limping along at the Comic-Con for the next several days under huge amounts of medication, but I was a total wreck. Since I was wearing a sombrero, I was at least a handsome, Star Trek loving wreck.

So by Saturday night, I was dying. My other friends had little interest in the "Fringe" panel (which was the only place Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman were going to appear at the Comic-Con), so I knew I was on my own. But since I had given my word, I had to try.

I propped myself up in a chair near the middle of the mostly-empty room and waited for the "questions from the fans" portion of the panel. My throat was so raw that I could barely speak.

Finally, they opened the room to questions, and I got in line, leaving my bag of goodies back at my seat.

I kneeled on the floor along with the others (as instructed by the Microphone Lady) and waited my turn. Unlike most of the other panels, this one was screening questions, so I knew that I was going to have to come up with a "fake" question, or I would have been shut down immediately.

I came up with a fake question that would seque perfectly into my sombrero question. I gave the fake question to Microphone Lady. She pondered it slowly, judging my self worth. I wanted to smack her, but I was too sick. Finally, she gave the nod, indicating that I had passed her arbitrary scrutiny.

Then, the moment of truth. I stood proudly and walked up to the microphone. I adjusted my sombrero for maximum effect. Microphone Lady asked me to stand very close to the microphone and speak clearly. I leaned into the microphone and my throat, dry and raw, made a squawk. Nothing came out. I cleared my throat and tried again.

Now, here is what was supposed to happen:

Cogley: "Fake question blah blah blah blah AND for those of you working on Star Trek, how do you feel about the Star Trek sombrero phenomenon that is sweeping the internet?"

Here is what actually happened:

As soon as I got the last word of my real question out, the microphone instantly went dead. I said "AND" and it was clear that the microphone was no longer on. I kept speaking anyway, hoping it was only a glitch. Microphone Lady rudely stated, "That's it. That's all you get." and rushed me along my way. I have no idea how they cut me off at that instant. It was as if they were reading my mind and knew exactly what I was going to do. I never even paused in-between questions! It was like they were psychic!

Dejected, and sick as a dog, I limped back to my seat to find... that my bag of goodies was gone! What the frak!?! I had only been gone a few minutes! There was no one seated anywhere nearby (nor was there before I asked the question). I felt like Charlie Brown who had just been given a rock. Some guy several rows back said, "Hey, security took your stuff." I thanked him and then approached the nearest Elite (poorly named, apparently) staff member. They told me that they had already taken my stuff down to lost and found. This seemed unlikely, since it had only been a few moments since I got in line.

I went down to lost and found. They said that no one had brought anything to them in days. This was not a good sign. Over the next several days, I went back and forth between Ballroom 20 (where my shit disappeared) and lost and found, to no avail. Basically, I was fucked, and my stuff was gone.

So that's my story. I give myself an 'E' for effort, and an 'F' for execution. And I got fucked in the process.

But I did ask Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman a question while wearing a giant sombrero. And for that, I feel some semblance of pride.
Awwww, that totally sucks. But you're still my hero. A for effort and if I was around I'd give ya some chicken soup.
Old July 31 2008, 08:29 PM   #1589
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

Jeebus, Sam. That sucks. Sorry about your stuff.

You'd think it was a frakking White House press conference with all the anal-retentive vetting going on.
Old July 31 2008, 08:35 PM   #1590
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Bummer, Sam. I give you full marks for giving it the old college try. Walk with your sombrero held high!