Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 30 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
entfan4ever
Captain

Alexander Courage has passed away

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...DzFKAD90VJIT00

"Star Trek" theme composer Alexander Courage dies

By ROBERT JABLON – 11 hours ago
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Alexander "Sandy" Courage, an Emmy-winning and Academy Award-nominated arranger, orchestrator and composer who created the otherworldly theme for the classic "Star Trek" TV show, has died. He was 88.

Courage died May 15 at the Sunrise assisted-living facility in Pacific Palisades, his stepdaughter Renata Pompelli of Los Angeles, said Thursday. He had been in poor health for three years.

Over a decades-long career, Courage collaborated on dozens of movies and orchestrated some of the greatest musicals of the 1950s and 1960s, including "My Fair Lady," "Hello, Dolly!" "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "Gigi," "Porgy and Bess" and "Fiddler on the Roof."

But his most famous work is undoubtedly the "Star Trek" theme, which he composed, arranged and conducted in a week in 1965.

"I have to confess to the world that I am not a science fiction fan," Courage said in an interview for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation's Archive of American Television in 2000. "Never have been. I think it's just marvelous malarkey. ... So you write some, you hope, marvelous malarkey music that goes with it."

Courage said the tune, with its ringing fanfare, eerie soprano part and swooping orchestration, was inspired by an arrangement of the song "Beyond the Blue Horizon" he heard as a youngster.

"Little did I know when I wrote that first A-flat for the flute that it was going to go down in history, somehow," Courage said. "It's a very strange feeling."
Courage said he also mouthed the "whooshing" sound heard as the starship Enterprise zooms through the opening credits of the TV show.

"Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry later wrote lyrics to the tune, which were never sung on the show but entitled him to half the royalties, Courage said.
Among the many other projects Courage worked on was the 1987 TV special "Julie Andrews: The Sound of Christmas," for which he won an Emmy for musical direction.

He and Lionel Newman shared Academy Award nominations for their adapted scores for 1964's "The Pleasure Seekers" and 1967's "Doctor Dolittle."

A friend and colleague of movie composers John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, he also provided the orchestration for such movies as "The Poseidon Adventure," "Jurassic Park," "Basic Instinct" and "The Mummy" and supplied arrangements for the Boston Pops while Williams was conductor in the 1980s and early 1990s.

For "Star Trek" he composed music for only a few episodes, in addition to the theme and the music for the pilot. But that theme was reprised in the TV sequel "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and in the "Star Trek" movies.

Courage was born Dec. 10, 1919, in Philadelphia and raised in New Jersey. After graduation from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y., in 1941, Courage enlisted in the Army Air Corps.

After the war, he became a composer for CBS radio shows and then became an orchestrator and arranger at MGM.

Beginning in the 1960s he composed music for TV shows, including "The Waltons," "Lost in Space" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," although the only themes he created were for "Star Trek" and "Judd For the Defense."
Another great talent who has left his legacy on the world.

He also did the music for Superman 4. Movie sucked ass, but the soundtrack is awesome. I'm glad I ordered it.

Last edited by entfan4ever; May 30 2008 at 12:05 PM.
entfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Re: Alexander Courage has passed away

In memoriam, I've put on a little television tune. A little number from the 1960s I could identify anywhere.

RIP, Alexander Courage.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that Courage declined to participate any further in ST after Roddenberry pulled the "lyricist" scam and screwed him out of half the royalties for the theme. Does anybody else remember that? Any idea where I read it?

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/trek.asp
Old May 30 2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

RIP Mr Courage
Old May 31 2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I probably read it in Solow & Justman's book. Whitfield's book, which is the other source for the snopes article, was way too much of a puff job to mention the Courage/Roddenberry falling out.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Super Grover
Vice Admiral

Wow, the composers of both of my favorite theme songs passed away this week. Alexander Courage for Star Trek, and Earl Hagen for The Andy Griffith Show. RIP gentlemen.
Bobby "Oh, you mean like Chlamydia?"
Super Grover is offline   Reply With Quote