Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 8 2008, 06:07 AM   #1
gastrof
Rear Admiral

This would have worked for sure

http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/fi...2004Reboot.pdf

J. Michael Straczynski and TV producer Bryce Zabel wanted to do this.

I think once the movie comes out, something very much like their idea could work.

We've heard and seen hints that, despite claims to the contrary, JJ is going to make SOME changes to the continuity.

Okay, if they're going to do that, then maybe (as said by JMS and BZ) we count "the new stuff" as a parallel universe, not erasing the original, but allowing new and different stuff to take place in the TOS era, and possibly beyond.

Could it work?

I think so.

(And don't forget guys...this is coming from a rabid "CHANGE NOTHING!!!" fan.)

What say you?
Old May 8 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: This would have worked for sure

Good. God. No.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

So they want to have a go at TOS themselves, with all the individual and well made episodes replaced by a story arc that TNG did in one episode?
Old May 8 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Hated this before. Hate it now. You don't have to reinvent the universe to make a good Star Trek story.

This reminds me of 1980 versions of the Ford Mustang. STINO - Star Trek In Name Only.
Old May 8 2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Mallory

I've read this before and I wasn't impressed with it. And that's coming from someone who loved Babylon 5.
Old May 8 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

I like B5, but this is crap, IMHO.
Old May 9 2008, 02:53 AM   #7
gastrof
Rear Admiral

I guess I'm missing something, because it seems to me that the movie could, as a logical outgrowth, spawn a new version of TOS.

I'm not saying to do EXACTLY what those two wanted to do, but a new series that sort of covers old ground but also gives a lot that's new?

Come on! Don't tell me you wouldn't watch.

You KNOW you would.
Old May 9 2008, 03:12 AM   #8
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

number6 wrote: View Post
Good. God. No.

What he said.
Old May 9 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I've seen this before, years ago, right?

I think the premise is wrong. The decline in Star Trek's ratings are not simply a function of the content of the series. It's part of an overall trend in entertainment that has occurred since the glory days of TNG. Ratings for everything is down. Shows are "hits" with 10M viewers. Out of a nation of 300M, that's 3% of the population watching that so-called "hit" show.

Blame the profileration of media channels - more TV, DVDs, video games, the internet. There is far more stuff out there than people to consume it. Entertainment therefore has split into two survival strategies: the truly lowest common denomenator stuff - reality TV, formulaic cop shows - and entertainment that serves some niche so well that the niche stays loyal, buys DVDs, etc. Sci fi by definition belongs to the niche strategy.

If JMS wants to re-boot Trek, he should just come up with a good idea, that will appeal to a niche audience (maybe the existing fanbase, but maybe not). But he should not assume he will get anything more than a niche audience. 10M viewers would be just fine - and yes, that is a niche. 3% of the population is not anything like a mass audience.

The concept of re-casting Kirk, Spock and McCoy is actually a good one for serving this niche audience which will most likely be a mix of Trek fans and new people. And it will alienate other Trek fans. So be it. A niche means you can't please everyone.

But then JMS goes off the rails with that "ancient mystery" stuff. That's more B5-feeling, not really very Trek. Star Trek isn't about mystical hooey, it's got to stay centered on the political philosophy that underpins it: that liberal democracy will expand throughout the cosmos and even if there's a whole lot of fighting along the way, eventually everyone will be friends under the benign eye of the Federation, with Starfleet as its muscle. That kind of imperialism-for-democracy is Star Trek's "thing," what makes it unique, and that is the element that at some level must always be present.

I don't expect Kirk to "win command" of the Enterprise because he's pursuing an ancient mystery. I expect him to do that because he's got an unparalleled genius for the job - and whatever the mission was that allowed him to display that genius is irrelevant.

Kirk wasn't just given command of the Enterprise so he would wander around aimlessly. He, and everyone else in command of a starship, has a general mission to patrol and defend the Federation. Look at the actual premises of the TOS episodes. Kirk was always checking on colonies, ferrying diplomats, fighting Romulans and Klingons and the odd Doomsday Machine. His role is soldier and cop, and when he has time, he can do some exploring. That role is sufficient for any amount of stories, we don't need to create some goofy mystery at the center of the universe to give Kirk something to do.

JMS's plan doesn't convince me that he understands the core of Trek. It's like he's trying to re-make B5 and slap the Star Trek label on it. If JMS wants to create a series with a Priest, Warrior and Doctor who goes off finding ancient mysteries, he should go right ahead. It won't be Star Trek, but there's no reason it has to be. Call it something else, cast it well, write it well, give it a decent production budget and put it on TV. I'll give it a fair try-out. I can enjoy shows that have nothing to do with Star Trek.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

So I guess Im the only guy who actually thought that was a good idea?
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2008, 06:55 PM   #11
M
Vice Admiral

Good. God. Yes!

Would have loved to see JMS' spin on it!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2008, 09:30 PM   #12
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I don't want to see JMS spin on a merry-go-round, much less on my favourite series.

B5 was vomit inducing. Crusade was unwatchable. He wouldn't have a clue how to do Star Trek any justice. He would make Freddie's Third Season look like Shakespeare's In the Round.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

^ Rumor has it That JMS tried to sell the B5 concept to Paramount in the beginning?
Old May 13 2008, 05:47 PM   #14
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Mr. Fergy wrote: View Post
^ Rumor has it That JMS tried to sell the B5 concept to Paramount in the beginning?

Yeah. They turned him down, and then came up with DS9, a totally different series about a space station that becomes an interstellar crossroads, and an ongoing storyline about super-aliens of darkness and evil, super-aliens of light and goodness, and a station commander who, at the end, goes away to be with the good aliens.

Wait...

Which one of those two shows was I talking about? B5 or DS9? Ummm....
Old May 13 2008, 06:02 PM   #15
M
Vice Admiral

^^
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote