Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 30 2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Guartho
Rear Admiral

What brought you to TrekBBS?

This Thread in Trek XI got me thinking about the sequence of events that lead me to find and register at TrekBBS.

For me, It was Enterprise's 2nd season and I was reading the StarTrek.com message boards. Someone posted a link back here to a review of Regeneration written by someone posting under the name "Samuel T Cogley." It was hilarious, and I made a note of TrekBBS.com.

In that thread, or another Regeneration thread I noticed that there was a reply from the actual guy that actually wrote the episode. I was shocked. WOW! This must be the place for serious Trekkies.

I immediately tried to register. I waited and waited for my approval. After a few days I tried again. I thought "Maybe you have to know someone. Maybe it's that exclusive." No, it was just me in my glorious newb-inity trying to register with a Hotmail address. I tried again with my school e-mail address and Lisa shined her countenance upon me and granted me postitude.

So, how did you come to be one of us?

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: What brought you to TrekBBS?

Good question. As I recall I came over here from Jammer's fantastic review site. At first I didn't register, just lurked for some months. Then I was tempted to participate in the DS9 Avatar Contest (thanks BigFoot for constantly running those) and I just had to register. I haven't yet regretted that decision.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I think I joined because Marco Palmieri was posting here at the time. It blew me away that authors and editors posted online for the fans to interact with. Eventually, I explored the other fora outside of Trek Lit and became a regular poster.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I was always bored at work and would track and read ST fanfic to stay awake. I had found the United Trek universe and was reading some of the stories. I Clicked on a title and found myself at Astrometrics>Fanfiction reading the latest postings of the story. Once I figured out how to maneuver to the main page I began reading various posts. Finally, after reading someone's outrageous post and wanting to reply to it I broke down and registered. No regrets-I almost won the March Challenge and, more importantly, after years of saying I should write something I am. I have posted a number of stories and enjoyed reading those of others. Glad I'm here.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Trekwatcher
Fleet Captain

Location: Talos IV. Taking Tango out for a ride in the countryside

Great question! I have been a lifelong Trek fan but knew very little about BBS' until about 2 and 1/2 years or so ago when I stumbled onto this site while doing a web search about the fan films by Starship Exeter. I was amazed and, outside of conventions, had had no real contact with organized fandom so this was a big breakthrough for me. I lurked here for over 6 months before joining and have really, REALLY had a very good experience on this board. The board has definitely opened me up to more viewpoints than I think I could have found anywhere else and has given me a ton of insights into the various series, movies, and books. I also participate on 2 other star trek BBS that are more focused in nature but this, IMHO, is the mother of all Trek boards.
Trekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I had to take time off work for surgery. Bored stupid I spent the time I wasn't flat on my back surfing the net. This place cheered me up immensely. That was back in Sept 2002. I registered and then became a victim of the Great Massacre of 02. I re-registered in Dec 02, and the rest, as they say, is history.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:41 PM   #7
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Star Trek
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:47 PM   #8
JayTheTrekkie
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JayTheTrekkie

I came to this board by the TrekToday site....joined here at first way back in 2003 (was in a different username), lurked and posted for awhile and then stopped coming here...by later 2004, I decided to return here again (had to re registered as my first one was deleted after not being here in ages then) and then left again until I joined again back in August 2005 and stayed for good.
JayTheTrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 05:57 PM   #9
greenmystik
Captain

I came to this site from Google. I was looking for information on NF books and came across this site.

Sombreros are overrated.
greenmystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 06:05 PM   #10
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I came because I was looking for a new star trek BBS site and I was lurking here for a while. I was posting on startrek.com (Probably during the first season of Enterprise) and also there was a message board mostly dedicated to the original series on Yahoo. Both were starting to suck and here I was. Someone from startrek.com recommended this site and I haven't been the same ever since.
Old April 30 2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

I posted occasionally at www.trek-rpg.net for the longest time, since before I was supposed to be registered (I was 12 at the time). During the time that Last Unicorn Games was still around and publishing books those forums were vibrant, interesting, very cordial, and quite intelligent. I'm sure I pissed off people with my young naivety when I first started posting, but I slowly grew into it.

After LUG folded and the Trek license ceded to Decipher, the forums (and the website) there really started to slow down. I occasionally visit every now and again, but the forums are a shadow of what they once were.

When I finished high school, and was heading off to college, I found myself needing an outlet to socialize with other science fiction fans, especially Star Trek fans. I had been reading Trek Today for years, and so this forum was my logical next step. I registered, began posting, and now, three years later, here I am, almost a Vice Admiral.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I can't even remember what it was. I know I began lurking during the sixth (?) season of Star Trek: Voyager, during the Big Blue days, but as for how I found it, I'm not sure. It may have been a Google search for Trek images or something.

I registered here during ENT's second season, under the name Akiraprise and posted a few times, grew disinterested and returned to lurking. Now, of course, my awesome name has been stolen by one of our mods.

It was all the hype for Trek XI, and speciafically Dale Hoppert's "Generic Parody Thread" that convinced me to re-register, and I've sorta stuck around this time. A warm welcome from our own Samuel T. Cogley didn't hurt.
Old April 30 2008, 06:22 PM   #13
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I had my first neck herniation. I had to quit working by January of 2000. Well, I started to stay up late as is my wont when left to my own devices. And I started watching late night TV.

In March, the neck was healing and I had found Deep Space Nine on at 1 AM (the first ep I watched was the 7th from the end!) In spite of it being an arc, I got sucked in right away. I had watched a handful of DS9 eps first-run, but it hadn't "grabbed me". I had watched Trek faithfully up to S4 of TNG and then drifted away for around ten years.

After getting hooked on the 1 AM DS9, I started looking again for reruns of TOS, which I had loved since my early teens. And then, since I was online a bit (although five of us shared one desktop computer,) I started looking for like-minded people.

I found TrekBBS, Section 31 and Trekweb all in the same day after doing a search for "Star Trek". I still read all three. I ended up modding at two of them. Trekweb's interface was just too annoying, although I read their news. Section 31 is now Lowerdecks and is much, much less active.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Kegek
Rear Admiral

I was watching a lot of Star Trek back in the late 1990s, particularly Voyager as it was on. I also, when online, spent most of my time on Star Trek sites (though this is one of the few I still frequent). Sooner or later and to be honest I can't exactly remember how I stumbled across here. I can remember the date, though. December 22, 2000. Don't ask me why I remembered that and not the reason.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

I think it was just the idea of Star Trek that brought me over several years ago.