Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 12 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Not Just A Prequel

Star Trek XI starts in the "present day" world of Star Trek.

As reported by New Film Dimension, Abrams spoke briefly about Star Trek XI. "It [Star Trek XI] looks at the core characters from Star Trek, so it serves as a prequel, but it's also more than that."

Sources have told TrekMovie.com that Star Trek XI is not just a prequel but a sequel as well. The film supposedly begins in the timeframe just past Star Trek: Nemesis, which is where one would find the older Spock played by Leonard Nimoy. Spock was last seen in Star Trek: The Next Generation: Unification on Romulus, about eleven years before the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, where he was working towards the goal of Vulcan-Romulan reunification.

The film will delve into the origins of Spock (Zachary Quinto as the young Spock), Kirk and other original series crewmembers, going back to the 2200s. Kirk was born in 2233 and Star Trek: Nemesis took place in 2379, so Spock may be going back in time almost one-hundred and fifty years.

To read more, head to the article located here and here.

Old May 12 2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile
Re: 'Star Trek XI' Not Just A Prequel

I think I said something like this a few days ago in the Trek XI forum, that we were going to get a peek at the 24th Century in this film... let me also add that I'm sure the 24th Century design ethic has been re-conceptualized just as the 23rd Century has. Can't wait to read people complain about that next... but it'll kinda be satisfying for me since, then it'll be like a stick in the eye of those screaming "move forward...".

Sharr
Old May 12 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
ancient
Vice Admiral

Ok, so here's the plot as I see it: (prepare for wild speculation based on nothing)

In the familiar TNG era there is the Spock we all know, gettin on in years, when suddenly BAM! Fanboy paradox! Spock discovers a secret Romulan plot, even more dastardly than creating teenage Picard clones!

A Canon-altering way-back machine, designed specifically to erase THE SHAT from the canon time-stream. He calls up his good friend, Captain Riker of the USS TITAN, and is taken to DS9, where, after a birthday party for Sisko in Quark's bar, they use the Orb of Time to travel back, intent on fixing the canon time stream.

They of course do this with the Defiant. They need the cloak and all to keep from screwing things up worse. They are now in the past, yet everything is changed! Canon has been thrown out of whack, and it's up to Spock to save the day - he is the only one familiar with the time period. He uses the Orb to search Iowa, then SF Academy. Finally he finds the Romulan spy trying to weld an exploding tribble to the hull of the Enterprise.

Climatic fight.

Sulu whips out his sword.

Everyone shares a light 'closing joke' on the Bridge. Probably at Chekov's expense.

They decide, fuck it, this new version of canon is pretty kick-ass, so let's just leave it this way. Party at Tom Cruise's house with Captain Pakistan.
Old May 13 2008, 12:50 AM   #4
thumbtack
Commodore

^ Hey, how did you get the script?
Old May 13 2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I was going to ask the same thing...I thought this movie was lock down and secret.

On another note...I can't believe that Indiana Jones comes out next week and there are practically no spoilers on the web
Old May 13 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Sweeeet. This means that XI will be firmly set in the existing canon. And the 24th century was always the coolest anyhow.
Old May 13 2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

@ancient: But you're not bitter.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)

Last edited by Pioneer; May 13 2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 13 2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Pioneer
Captain

I already knew J.J. Abrams needed to go back to Romulus to pick up Spock where Berman & Braga dropped him off. It was a condition of Nimoy's involvement. He said so in an interview years ago after turning down a [bit/cameo] part in one of the previous movies. I just don't remember which one. I'm just surprised that no one else on this forum remembers it. And yes, he said it. I wish I had the time to go dig it out of the internet archives somewhere. I'll leave that up to one of you.

So the whole "get Spock out of Romulus" idea was not a "fanboy wankjob" (as one of you put it) after all. Told ya.
Old May 13 2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Pioneer
Captain

So ST-XI isn't going to be just cool. I's gonna be Ironman cool.
Old May 13 2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I was right. Nice to be vindicated.

I met Leonard Nimoy at a convention less than a week before last years ComicCon, when they introduce Quinto. He said the reason Kirk wasn't in the film was his death in Generations. Which, to me, obviously meant we're seeing 24th Century Spock. Yet when I relayed that detail to some news outlets, they wouldn't run with it. Nuts to them. :P I was right!