Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 2 2008, 05:04 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Wars' Fan Abrams On Making New 'Star Trek'

Although more of a Star Wars fan, J.J. Abrams wanted to make a better Star Trek.

As reported by Yahoo! Movies, Abrams found something in Star Trek that appealed to him, and wanted to improve upon it. "It was an opportunity to take what I think has been a maligned world to sound crass, a franchise and treat it in a way that made it something that I wanted to see," said Abrams "To take the characters, the thoughtfulness, the personalities, the sense of adventure, the idea of humanity working together, the sense of social commentary and innovation, all that stuff. To take it and apply it in a way that felt genuinely thrilling."

Improving Star Trek means appealing to more than just the devoted Star Trek fan. "The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek,' necessarily," said Abrams. "If you're a fan, we've got one of the writers who's a devout Trekker, so we were able to make sure we were serving the people who are completely enamored with 'Star Trek.' But we are not making the movie for that contingent alone."

Abrams went on to explain why he felt that reaching out beyond Star Trek fans was necessary. "You can't really make a movie for them," he explained. "As soon as you start to guess what you think they are going to want to see, you're in trouble. You have to make the movie in many ways for what you want to see yourself, make a movie you believe in. Then you're not second-guessing an audience you don't really have an understanding of."

Redoing Star Trek means updating the 1960s characters for the modern day. "It's a chance to see what Kirk and Spock would look like done now," said Abrams. "What's thrilling about it is how great the cast is, how remarkably talented and funny and just spot-on they all are."

An actor from one of Abram's childhood favorite movies, Star Wars, paid a visit to the Star Trek XI set according to TrekMovie.com. Harrison Ford (Han Solo) dropped by during the last week of shooting on the film to have lunch with Abrams. He is just one of several actors who have paid visits to the set during filming, including Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg among others.

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old May 2 2008, 05:09 AM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Wars' Fan Abrams On Making New 'Star Trek'

Like I said before, He thinks the original series was too boring and now he wants to make it with lots of explosions and cool FX. He wants to turn it into Star Wars.
Old May 2 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

MattJC wrote: View Post
Like I said before, He thinks the original series was too boring and now he wants to make it with lots of explosions and cool FX. He wants to turn it into Star Wars.
Good work...you twisted the article out of context and added your own stuff in there too.
Old May 2 2008, 05:25 AM   #4
MattJC
Fleet Captain

I read between the lines.
You don't really expect him to go out and flat out say TOS sucked and possibly piss off his PR meal ticket-- Leonard Nimoy?
Old May 2 2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

You don't really expect him to go out and flat out say TOS sucked and possibly piss off his PR meal ticket-- Leonard Nimoy?
I'm with you here, Matt. As much as I would like to think otherwise, I believe two kinds of people are going to see ST-XI:
1) Star Trek fans,
2) J.J. Abrams fans,
and that's it.

These two groups may generate enough box office receipts to justify making ST-XII.

Now if the J.J. Abrams fans consider ST-XI to appeal to a general audience, then ST-XII may attract a general audience and then only if J.J. Abrams directs it. So don't get your hopes up people.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 2 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
EyalM
Captain

Did you even read the article?
Old May 2 2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Admiral Bear
Captain

I think Abrams has just about got it spot on with his comment about being in trouble once you try to make a film for hardcore Trek fans.

If Trek XI is to succeed, accessibility to the widest possible audience has to be the name of the game. I think the film will be accessible to the widest possible audience, but I still don't see that audience going to see the film. But that's no reason for Abrams to at least try to make a film that he thinks people outside of Trek will want to see.

TWOK is a superb film, commonly thought to be the best of the Trek movie series, a film that you don't have to know about Star Trek to appreciate. Admittedly it helps to have seen Space Seed, but it's far from compulsory.

MattJC, would you rather have a Star Trek with the popularity of Star Wars, or a Star Trek that's dead in the water for eternity because it wouldn't change with the times.
Old May 2 2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Chindogu
Commander

If Abrams didn't want to make a "Star Trek" film then he probably wouldn't. He would make some other kind of original space opera in the image of Star Wars, but instead he saw something in Trek that could be built up and, dare I say it, improved upon all of these years later. It's 2008 and not 1968. There isn't going to be a 4th season of TOS and they aren't going to digitally replace Shatner with Pike in any of the old episodes.

Abrams doesn't need Star Trek to breath life into his carrier as much as Star Trek needs someone like Abrams to breath fresh life into it. One could argue, although I'm not sure I would, that it's probably harder to sell Star Trek than an original Sci-Fi film. But that's all conjecture.

Out of all the people in the world that could possibly give a damn about making a Star Trek film I'm glad it's Abrams that's doing it. And this movie has a very good chance of being better than 3/4 of the 10 official canon movies already out there.

Star Trek is Dead. Long Live Star Trek!
Old May 2 2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I tire of these suggestions that he is going to make a star wars out of star trek. He is updating the franchise...don't make it anything else..

I love baseball and baseball fans are kind of like star trek fans...we talk too much about the glory of what was...the old days, the good days...blah blah blah...

I am just glad there is a successful filmmaker out there that wants to make the franchise something exciting again...
Old May 2 2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

You didn't read betwen the lines - you read something into the article that honestly isn't there. As for Leonard Nimoy; he LIKED the script and the way the characters were written, and agreed to repriise his original role. Plus Nimoy isn't like Shatner when it comes to STar Trek (ie "If the money is right, sign me up...); and unlike Shatner, PASSED entirely on Generations - so I think Nimoy was happy with whatever 'updating' Abrams did.
Old May 2 2008, 05:09 PM   #11
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Noname Given wrote: View Post
You didn't read betwen the lines - you read something into the article that honestly isn't there. As for Leonard Nimoy; he LIKED the script and the way the characters were written, and agreed to repriise his original role. Plus Nimoy isn't like Shatner when it comes to STar Trek (ie "If the money is right, sign me up...); and unlike Shatner, PASSED entirely on Generations - so I think Nimoy was happy with whatever 'updating' Abrams did.
Absolutely Right!!(tm)
Old May 2 2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Augustus
Fleet Captain

number6 wrote: View Post
Absolutely Right!!(tm)

True, Nimoy didn't sell out...be bought into this new idea...
Old May 2 2008, 07:56 PM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

Oh no! The surprise twist early on this movie will be that this is a actually Tom Cruise vs. Harrison Ford movie set during the young Kirk days.
Old May 2 2008, 08:20 PM   #14
MattJC
Fleet Captain

He may have liked the script, but Abrams only got him on board for PR.
He probably be just as happy to tell him to fuck off if he didn't like the script.
Old May 2 2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

He may have liked the script, but Abrams only got him on board for PR.
He probably be just as happy to tell him to fuck off if he didn't like the script.
Oh no! The person in charge of a business...making a business decision! And only in your imagination, no less!

What does this have to do with an actor--who is picky about the quality of the Trek he will star in--liking the script?