Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 4 2008, 06:46 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?

The contract between CBS and Cedar Fair (who owns The Experience) ends this year and it may not be renewed.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, The Experience attraction, in operation since 1998, may close after the current contract expires at the end of the year. "There are currently no plans to renew it," said a spokesperson from Cedar Fair.

Attendance has been declining for years, in spite of the introduction of the "Borg Invasion 4D" ride in 2004. Cost reductions have helped, but may not be enough to save the attraction.

This is not the first time that the attraction's future has been in peril. As reported by TrekToday two years ago, a change in ownership of the Las Vegas Hilton was cause for concern, but the attraction survived.

A final decision on whether to keep the attraction or not will be made by the end of May. It is possible that the attraction could be sold by Cedar Fair to another company, who would then have to make new deals with both the Hilton and CBS.

A closure would also effect the annual official Creation Star Trek Convention which has been held yearly at the Las Vegas Hilton since The Experience opened in 1998. A decision would have to be made as to whether they should stay at the Hilton, or relocate to another hotel, possibly opting for one closer to "the strip".

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old May 4 2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek: The Experience' To End?

Hey, T'Bonz, thanks for the story. A friend at The Experience pointed me in that direction and I added it to my thread in General Trek Discussion.

I really hope some agreement can be reached. For those of you who want contact info for all the parties invloved, check out the thread "Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update".

Write letters. Make calls but be polite.
Old May 4 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

The amount of money I've dumped in their bar should mean it should survive for years!
Old May 4 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Jefferies
Captain

Makes we wonder, is this further evidence for a continual decline of Star Trek? Is fandom shrinking? I suppose with no current show on the air it should not come as a surprise. Hopefully, the new movie will make trek more relevant again!
Old May 4 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Makes we wonder, is this further evidence for a continual decline of Star Trek? Is fandom shrinking? I suppose with no current show on the air it should not come as a surprise. Hopefully, the new movie will make trek more relevant again!
The decline of Star Trek?!? Bite your tongue, infidel!
Will the new movie help? One can only hope.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 4 2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I was actually thinking about the experience the other day. I visited once in 2000. It was fun, but recently I have wondered about its attendance and how it was still open. That would be nice to try to keep it open a little longer, at least until the new movie comes out...
Old May 4 2008, 07:33 PM   #7
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I really hope they can keep the thing going. I love that place, and the staff are great fun.
Old May 4 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I went about a year and a half ago, and enjoyed it (I'm not one for theme park rides, but even I liked the simulator). Unfortunately, I never did get a Warp Core Breach - I was kind of hoping to go back some day.

Old May 4 2008, 10:26 PM   #9
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Why don't they start re-airing all the episodes on CBS say on Sunday night. Get people re-introduced to the franchise. Start with The Cage, and go on from there. At the end of each episode, have a teaser of Star Trek: The Experience. As the movie gets closer to release, do both Experience, and movie teasers. I hope it doesn't close. All they need to do is update Klingon Encounter to fit either with Shatner's Enterprise, or Pines Enterprise.
Old May 4 2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Dale
Vice Admiral

I've been many, many times and have some very fond memories of the place. Also some 'bouts of drinking Romulan Ale (unctuated with Bolian Sunsets and the osccasional Warp Core Breach). The staff and characters have always been great, but the place has declined in recent years as far as attendance and also the number of alien characters around at one time. I guess they've had to cut back on staffing as attendance slipped. I used to go and see two Ferengi and several Klingons around at once. The Klingons would be leading drinking songs in the bar - great fun! I will be sure to egt there a couple times before the end of 2008 (one of the perks of living in Southern California is easy access to ST:TE).

Speaking of memories, here's a shot of my wife and I at a Halloween party there one year, and I think everyone who's been will recognize the first picture!

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old May 5 2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Huh. I just got a very nice complimentary phone call from Chad Boutte at The Experience in response to an e-mail I sent. He, at least, appreciates everyone's efforts on keeping the place open.

Keep those cards and letters (and phone calls and e-mails) coming.
Old May 5 2008, 06:18 AM   #12
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

Biggshow wrote: View Post
Hey, T'Bonz, thanks for the story. A friend at The Experience pointed me in that direction and I added it to my thread in General Trek Discussion.

I really hope some agreement can be reached. For those of you who want contact info for all the parties invloved, check out the thread "Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update".

Link to Biggshow's thread is here.

I was privileged to get out to see "The Experience" once. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Quark's Bar was very well-done indeed.

I hadn't a clue though that the Warp Core Breach was meant for more than one person. I drank it all!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old May 5 2008, 06:39 AM   #13
MattJC
Fleet Captain

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Biggshow wrote: View Post

Link to Biggshow's thread is here.

I was privileged to get out to see "The Experience" once. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Quark's Bar was very well-done indeed.

I hadn't a clue though that the Warp Core Breach was meant for more than one person. I drank it all!
The 10 oz. one?
I don't think I could handle all by mself. I'll stick with miniature 5 oz. one version.
Old May 5 2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Pioneer
Captain

Wow! Well done!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 5 2008, 02:35 PM   #15
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

MattJC wrote: View Post
I don't think I could handle all by mself. I'll stick with miniature 5 oz. one version.
I've had four of them. I met a guy who's part of a Klingon theatre group there one year... when meeting him a few years later, he said "You are the person who drunk four warp core breeches. You are a legend amongst my people!"

I have them every time I go to Vegas.

The staff are great, particularly the Klingon woman. God knows what she'd do in her next job, the skill isn't that transferable.