IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 2 2008, 08:53 PM   #16
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Wars' Fan Abrams On Making New 'Star Trek'

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
MattJC wrote: View Post

He may have liked the script, but Abrams only got him on board for PR.
He probably be just as happy to tell him to fuck off if he didn't like the script.
Oh no! The person in charge of a business...making a business decision! And only in your imagination, no less!

What does this have to do with an actor--who is picky about the quality of the Trek he will star in--liking the script?
It doesn't. I'm saying Abrams is a lying douchebag.
Old May 2 2008, 08:54 PM   #17
MattJC
Fleet Captain

They don't edit functions on this Trektoday news items board. I meant to say Abrams would be just as happy to tell Nimoy to fuck off if he didn't like the script.
Old May 2 2008, 08:57 PM   #18
Augustus
Fleet Captain

They don't edit functions on this Trektoday news items board. I meant to say Abrams would be just as happy to tell Nimoy to fuck off if he didn't like the script.
Why such hate and venom???
Old May 2 2008, 08:57 PM   #19
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Except that apparently Nimoy not only likes the script--a lot, he came out of retirement to be in the movie. Why would he do this?

He's not as much a whore for the money. He has stated time and again that he would only do Star Trek again if he felt the script merited it. Apparently this time it does. And he certainly would have said otherwise and would have no compuntion about it.

That alone gives me hope for this new film.

Everything else is gravy.
Old May 2 2008, 10:38 PM   #20
ancient
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Although more of a Star Wars fan, J.J. Abrams wanted to make a better Star Trek.
About fucking time someone did.

Abrams found something in Star Trek that appealed to him, and wanted to improve upon it. "It was an opportunity to take what I think has been a maligned world to sound crass, a franchise and treat it in a way that made it something that I wanted to see," said Abrams "To take the characters, the thoughtfulness, the personalities, the sense of adventure, the idea of humanity working together, the sense of social commentary and innovation, all that stuff. To take it and apply it in a way that felt genuinely thrilling."
If this is what he's focusing on, he is being true to Star Trek.

Improving <i>Star Trek</i> means appealing to more than just the devoted <i>Star Trek</i> fan.
Because even utter crap appeals to devoted fans, as was proven in past years. It's good to see someone put effort into Trek again.

"The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek,' necessarily," said Abrams. "If you're a fan, we've got one of the writers who's a devout Trekker, so we were able to make sure we were serving the people who are completely enamored with 'Star Trek.' But we are not making the movie for that contingent alone."
Logical.

Abrams went on to explain why he felt that reaching out beyond <i>Star Trek</i> fans was necessary. "You can't really make a movie for them," he explained. "As soon as you start to guess what you think they are going to want to see, you're in trouble.
Judging from some of the crazy reactions around here, he's saving himself a lot of pointless grief. Good for him.

Harrison Ford (Han Solo) dropped by during the last week of shooting on the film to have lunch with Abrams. He is just one of several actors who have paid visits to the set during filming, including Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg among others.
Awesome.

I read between the lines.
You don't really expect him to go out and flat out say TOS sucked and possibly piss off his PR meal ticket-- Leonard Nimoy?
Why would he say something like that? Yawn. Despite your repeated attempts to slander Abrams with your baseless bullshit, no one is stupid enough to buy it.

Pioneer wrote: View Post
I'm with you here, Matt. As much as I would like to think otherwise, I believe two kinds of people are going to see ST-XI:
1) Star Trek fans,
2) J.J. Abrams fans,
and that's it.
Got this all figured out, huh?

Now if the J.J. Abrams fans consider ST-XI to appeal to a general audience, then ST-XII may attract a general audience and then only if J.J. Abrams directs it. So don't get your hopes up people.
...No matter how I read that, it makes no sense. I'm not sure those words are supposed to go together like that.

Augustus wrote: View Post
Why such hate and venom???
Hating Abrams and coming up with these little imaginary scenarios is Matt's dumbass hobby for some reason.
Old May 2 2008, 10:50 PM   #21
MattJC
Fleet Captain

And giving Abrams blowjobs is your dumbass hobby.
Old May 2 2008, 11:07 PM   #22
MattJC
Fleet Captain

I'm sorry.
Old May 2 2008, 11:09 PM   #23
Aragorn
Admiral

^ Is that how it works in Maine?
Old May 2 2008, 11:11 PM   #24
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
They won't let you delete your post on this forum.
Old May 2 2008, 11:12 PM   #25
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
They won't let you delete your post on this forum.
Or edit it. I was just too late.
Old May 3 2008, 12:31 AM   #26
cubbie
Vice Admiral

You have to be very careful in this forum about what you post, since it doesn't have an edit feature.

I know Hoser previously asked Matt to tone down a bit, but he was provoked to give his angry response. That's one of the reasons I'm not giving out an infraction; the immediate apology is the second reason.

However, if this continues, I can't be so lenient next time.
Old May 3 2008, 12:45 AM   #27
TJinPgh
Captain

number6 wrote: View Post
Except that apparently Nimoy not only likes the script--a lot, he came out of retirement to be in the movie. Why would he do this?

He's not as much a whore for the money. He has stated time and again that he would only do Star Trek again if he felt the script merited it. Apparently this time it does. And he certainly would have said otherwise and would have no compuntion about it.
I love the continued assertion that Nimoy's involvement guarantees that this is a good movie.

Half of the Star Trek movies that Nimoy were involved in (including the one he was responsible for) are considered among the worst.

Nimoy was offered a chance to say goodbye in Generations. He turned it down. But, he didn't turn it down because he thought the movie was bad. He turned it down because HIS PART in it was too small and meaningless.

Had they written a bigger role for him in the movie (which, they could have done), he would have no doubt been saying the same exact things about that movie that he's saying about this one.

Abrams is using Nimoy's name to get Star Trek fans to want to go see this movie. He gave him the nudge he didn't get in Generations, and here he is.

I see no reason to read any more into Nimoy's involvement in this film than that.

As for the article itself, I get really worried any time a producer starts talking about making something "better" than the original.

The very notion suggests he thinks there's something wrong with everything that came before it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Star Trek films are sub-niche programing within a niche genre. Always have been. Always will be.

They've attempted a couple of times to make a Star Trek film for the masses. Most failed to deliver anything more than the core audience.

The truth is that they've grossly over-reached with this movie, financially. And, I've seen very little from Abrams to suggest that he has a real grasp on Trek.

I've been waiting since word of this movie first hit the web to be given one single reason to go see this movie other than having "Star Trek" in the title.

I have yet to be given one. And, I've seen plenty to make me not want to go.
Old May 3 2008, 12:57 AM   #28
TJinPgh
Captain

ancient wrote: View Post
Abrams found something in Star Trek that appealed to him, and wanted to improve upon it. "It was an opportunity to take what I think has been a maligned world to sound crass, a franchise and treat it in a way that made it something that I wanted to see," said Abrams "To take the characters, the thoughtfulness, the personalities, the sense of adventure, the idea of humanity working together, the sense of social commentary and innovation, all that stuff. To take it and apply it in a way that felt genuinely thrilling."
If this is what he's focusing on, he is being true to Star Trek.
Judging by some of the casting choices and character descriptions (McCoy and Sulu most notably), I can't agree.

Now if the J.J. Abrams fans consider ST-XI to appeal to a general audience, then ST-XII may attract a general audience and then only if J.J. Abrams directs it. So don't get your hopes up people.
...No matter how I read that, it makes no sense. I'm not sure those words are supposed to go together like that.
It makes total sense.

He's saying that the notion that a Trek movie is EVER going to generate broad range appeal is naive.

IF Abrams were a Scorsese or Spielburg, then people would possibly overlook their general preconceived notions about Trek and go to see it simply because he's doing it.

Abrams, despite all of the media hype, doesn't have that kind of following. And, his involvement in it is likely to generate very little buzz.
Old May 3 2008, 02:26 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Everything Abrams says sounds great.
Old May 3 2008, 03:01 AM   #30
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Everything Abrams says sounds great.
I agree with you - I'm very excited for this movie. Especially after hearing Zach Quinto at Starfest a couple weeks ago.