Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 21 2011, 02:29 PM   #76
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Perhaps I was a little too distracted during the first episode or I missed something obvious...but was Barney's wedding a flash-forward that they may follow up with later and Punchy's wedding was the 'current' time? The second episode didn't seem to follow the first one unless that was the case.
Yes, Punchy's wedding is current time and Barney's wedding takes place at a later date. I'd call it a flashforward, but the whole show is a flashback.

And as for Victoria, here's a fun fact... She would have been written in as the mother back in season 1 had the show been cancelled.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 02:36 PM   #77
Scout101
Admiral

The first 3-4 seasons were on the cancellation bubble every year, so they've had a backup plan for most of the seasons in case they found out they were being canned.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 02:41 AM   #78
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Poor Barney...

I can't wait for this to work out. Barney even passed up on the oppurtunity to end up married to a girl who would apparently probably end up turning a blind eye to indiscretion after indiscretion, something which really shows the depth of his love for Robin. He has grown so much, I can't wait for the moment they reveal him walking down the aisle toward Robin. That will be the season finale moment, I assume.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 03:02 AM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No, that's awful.

Being with a women who doesn't care that you are scummy on the inside, and suspects that you are nothing but scummy on the inside and expects you to stay that way your entire life if not actually decline into an even scummier state of existence.

It's sort of an insult more so than a hallpass.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 03:30 AM   #80
ryan123450
Commodore

The old Barney would have jumped all over that. Being in an open marriage to an incredibly hot woman who he's crazy about. That would have been his dream. He's grown and wants to grow even more.

Since Ted's story had to stall out by neccessity for the show to last this long, Barney has become the most interesting character.

Old November 15 2011, 06:11 AM   #81
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

That was gut wrenching. I feel really sorry for Barney. I never thought I'd say that.
Old November 15 2011, 02:08 PM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Being in an open marriage is not the same thing as being forgiven for cheating every time you cheat. It makes the cheating as meaningless as the faithfulness.

Old November 16 2011, 01:13 AM   #83
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

That last season with Barney was gut-wrenching.I think it's pretty clear they've been pushing Barney towards wanting to be in a serious relationship; the only question is if it will be with Robin.

I think it will, in the end. But we shall see.
Old November 16 2011, 01:18 AM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Back when Ted first broke up with Robin at Marshal and Lilly's wedding, he's reflecting to his kids in 2030 about Robins massively exciting childless life traveling the known universe as an intrepid reporter.

Old November 16 2011, 01:41 AM   #85
ryan123450
Commodore

No where in that does it imply single though. Barney could be cool with not having kids, if in fact they never do.

The more I thought about it the more I though Robin was really a heartless b#%^. Not only turn the guy down when he's finally given into his feelings, heartbreakingly broken up with a girl he really likes, made a huge amount of growth as a person, and agreed that you would do the same, but then show up with your boyfriend, totally blindsiding him in public and in front of all his friends. That's low.

But then I thought about it more and realized Robin is really broken and afraid. She's never been ok with settling down and getting married, and she knows that if she ends up with Barney again that will be the path she is on. It will take a bit more time for her to be ready for that.

I predict that when they finally get togther, they will end up married pretty soon, maybe by the season finale.

Old November 16 2011, 02:13 AM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kevin said that he loved her because she's wonderful.

Barney said that he loved her because she was broken.

Note the difference?

If Robin was a car, Kevin is looking to buy a Porsche meanwhile barney wants a v-dub from the 70s. OH! In every relationship, there's a Reacher and a Settler. Unless one or more parties are delusional about their role in the relationship....

With Barney and Robin they were both Settling, but with Robin and Kevin they were both reaching.

Old November 16 2011, 03:20 AM   #87
ryan123450
Commodore

I still think that's were the writers are going. I really want the series to end so we can see where it all goes, but I really want it to keep going because I like it so much. O well, only a year and a half to go.

Old November 16 2011, 11:36 AM   #88
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The show has a ceiling.

A natural conclusion.

The year 2030 when old Ted sits down to tell his kids how he met their mother.

If god isn't a dick, we have 19 years of How I met your Mother left to come.

Old November 16 2011, 02:49 PM   #89
EnderAKH
Captain

I think it would be funny if when Barney walks down the aisle in the season finale, he's walking towards Stella.

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 05:36 PM   #90
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
No where in that does it imply single though. Barney could be cool with not having kids, if in fact they never do.

The more I thought about it the more I though Robin was really a heartless b#%^. Not only turn the guy down when he's finally given into his feelings, heartbreakingly broken up with a girl he really likes, made a huge amount of growth as a person, and agreed that you would do the same, but then show up with your boyfriend, totally blindsiding him in public and in front of all his friends. That's low.

But then I thought about it more and realized Robin is really broken and afraid. She's never been ok with settling down and getting married, and she knows that if she ends up with Barney again that will be the path she is on. It will take a bit more time for her to be ready for that.

I predict that when they finally get togther, they will end up married pretty soon, maybe by the season finale.
Well.. i'm still on the opinion that it was a major dick (or vagina) move by Robin.. she chickened out when Kevin looked at her and professed his love.
Now that is a pretty horrible time to break uo with somebody but stringing him along even when you know (or at least aren't 100% sure) you don't love someone is even worse.. you are torturing yourself and in the end make it even worse when the other one finds out that all this time they were together on false pretenses. Breaking up is rarely easily done but the bandaid method works universally well.

Barney is my favorite character on Mother by far and i was so bummed at the end of the episode when Robin disappointed him so bad.. chances are high though now that they will work it out somehow and they end up together. At least that's the most believable scenario right now.. Nora only got together with Barney on the premise that he gives up his old ways and he's proven he can't.. he won't get a second chance and there's no one around who's closer to Barney and "free" than Robin (wouldn't make any sense to build up a new character in half a season just so he can marry her).

EnderAKH wrote: View Post
I think it would be funny if when Barney walks down the aisle in the season finale, he's walking towards Stella.
That would be totally out of nowhere.. not only is she married but they never showed any interest in each other. It would be the same league of time travelling alien Nazi's
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote