RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 425
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 25 2012, 04:30 PM   #331
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

^
I was referring to the Voyager/Smallville methods of taking what everyone has been waiting for and fading to black just as it happens in the finale.

I'm not saying all shows don't pay-off. In fact, especially earlier in its run, HIMYM did a good job with paying off on previously mentioned things and/or call-backs (the goat, Halloween, interventions, etc.).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:28 AM   #332
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

So Ted meets the Mother in four months! How are they going to sqeeze another season of the show in? The obvious choice would be to show the first year of their lives up til their wedding day, but I still have this feeling that Ted meeting the Mother won't happen until the last episode.

This was a really good episode. Lily was actually interesting for the first time since she and Marshall got married. It struck me that the entire show makes more sense as things proceed. Ted started the story of how he met the Mother by going all the way back to the day he met his first major love, the woman whom he would eventually have to give up and at whose wedding he would met his wife.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:54 AM   #333
Mr Light
Admiral

Hooray! They set it in stone! We HAVE to meet the Mother in THIS season finale! Therefore she has to be a regular character in the final season! Squee!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:37 AM   #334
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I was happy to see that the wedding is four months from now too. That really throws things. I hope that they use this and don't try to squeeze the next four months into the next season and a half.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:18 AM   #335
tighr
Commodore

Rachel Bilson!

And based on physically seeing Robin dance with her dad at the wedding, the odds of Robin and Barney not going through with it have diminished. Obviously, there is still the possibility of that curveball, but the odds are extremely lowered.

Maybe it was because of the engagement episode, but I was really hoping that the reason for Robin's dad being all weird was going to ultimately be another one of Barney's long con's. In the end, we would find out that Barney had already gotten her dad's permission, and it was an elaborate setup. But, the ending they decided to go with was much better: Robin getting the first ever apology from her father in her entire life, and it was because Barney was able to get him to do it for her.
Old January 16 2013, 02:55 AM   #336
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Signs the show has gone on too long, I had no idea who Ted was talking to on the subway and thought, for a few minutes, that Ted meeting her and finding out she was a lesbian would happen between now and May. I know better now and vaguely remember Cindy and the reveal that she's a lesbian, but what used to be an aspect I liked about the show (the continuity) now runs the risk of making it harder to follow.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old January 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #337
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Random thought:

Lyndsy Fonseca as the mother?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:17 AM   #338
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Random thought:

Lyndsy Fonseca as the mother?
That might be one of those things that works better on paper.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:55 AM   #339
Mr Light
Admiral

Hmm, well she is 26, and we know the Mother was in Ted's college class mishap a couple years ago...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 05:55 AM   #340
tighr
Commodore

That would be super creepy weird.
Old January 16 2013, 06:02 AM   #341
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But that's why sex stops in marriages, when children start to look just like their parents and the parents notice.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 03:43 PM   #342
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

If the continuity is a hinderance to understanding the show...

You're not a big enough fan.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:50 AM   #343
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
You're probably right. If I could keep things straight with Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and even Lost, but not How I Met Your Mother, it probably is a sign I'm not a big fan of the show.

Like Friends, I'm really just coasting until the last episode, watching more out of obligation and habit than anything else.

Still, a few times, the show does remind me of it's previous greatness.
Old January 17 2013, 02:35 AM   #344
Aldo
Admiral

This weeks episode went a long way to reminding me of it's earlier better episodes. I'm still annoyed at the fact that they're going to ring another season out of this show. But if they do in fact reveal the mother this season and have a season of him getting to know her, wel I think that would be great and potentially redeem Season 9 in my eyes.
Old January 17 2013, 04:12 AM   #345
tighr
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
You're probably right. If I could keep things straight with Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and even Lost, but not How I Met Your Mother, it probably is a sign I'm not a big fan of the show.
In defense of the show, Rachel Bilson was a pretty important part of the show's continuity. First of all, she's a reputable actress (and not one of the dismissable ex-gfs we'd seen in the past). Second of all, it was a key reveal that the yellow umbrella was hers. Third of all, it was a key reveal that unknown to Ted at that point in his life, the future Mother was the roommate, and all the things in the room were hers, and in fact we see her ankle. That single episode answered YEARS worth of questions, while still keeping the big reveal a secret.

I can totally understand forgetting some minor plot points, but as far as major plot points go, this ranks right up there with finding out who the Final Five are or what's inside the hatch.