Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 28 2008, 07:07 PM   #31
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
That's enough of that, thank you.

So it's gay to want sex in a loving relationship as opposed to trying to score with one's friends cheering one on?

Gotcha.

And no, I think sex is great (lest I get something thrown at me. ) But I need the emotional component to go with the physical. Having sex for the sake of sex is not enough.
I was just baiting.

But seriously, what's wrong with being gay?

And what's wrong with sex-as-and-end-in-itself? We're talking about two consenting adults when you get right down to it or rather when they get right down to it. So why do you feel the need to be disgusted at the desire of others? I find the dichotomy of attitudes fascinating from a purely sociological perspective. I bait to elicit responses so I can understand the puritanical perspective better. I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy. I get angry when I see senseless violence and the glorification of senseless violence and the victimization of the weak by the strong. Or the vilification of those who hold unpopular opinions. Or censorship. But if two consenting adults want to have sex for fun. Well, it's really none of my business. If they want to make a low-brow movie about it, that's fine with me. If it's not your cup of tea, fine. So I expect and understand an eyeroll. But "bleccch"? Not so much. Hence all the questions.

So how far off-topic are we now?
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old April 28 2008, 07:26 PM   #32
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

My objection is not to the act itself, it's to the mindset which would lead one there. Or rather, one particular mindset which could lead one there.

It's difficult to put the particular issue I have into words....suffice it to say, if both want it off the bat it's fine, but it's less so if one side or the other has to do some convincing to make it happen.
Old April 28 2008, 08:48 PM   #33
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
That seems like a fairly low-brow followup.....

But it doesn't have to be. Harold And Kumar Go to White Castle summarizes like just another stupid stoner comedy. But those who actually saw it saw different.

If Abrams is backing this one, it may be less American Pie and more Superbad.
Old April 28 2008, 08:49 PM   #34
stonester1
Rear Admiral

And no, I think sex is great (lest I get something thrown at me. ) But I need the emotional component to go with the physical. Having sex for the sake of sex is not enough.
As a man, I agree. It seems a shadow of itself if the only interface takes place at the genital level.

But shallow, empty casual sex is fun to think about, though.

It's jut the difference between theory and reality.

Old April 29 2008, 02:55 AM   #35
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Pioneer wrote: View Post
I was just baiting.

But seriously, what's wrong with being gay?
Who said there is anything wrong with being gay? However, it's not a choice. You are or you're not.

And not wanting to just fuck (yeah, I'll be blunt here) as opposed to wishing to make love does not mean that Lindley doesn't desire women. It means he desires more than just a quick roll in the hay.

Many of us do desire more, you know. Sex in and of itself is good but with the emotional component, it moves from just a physical release to more.

And what's wrong with sex-as-and-end-in-itself?
Just wanting to fuck someone like in those kinds of movies cheapens it and it's an insult to the target of the desire.

Many if not most women want to be more than just a, uh, object for a male to relieve his own desires.

But if two consenting adults want to have sex for fun. Well, it's really none of my business. If they want to make a low-brow movie about it, that's fine with me. If it's not your cup of tea, fine. So I expect and understand an eyeroll. But "bleccch"? Not so much. Hence all the questions.
Well, my problem as a woman isn't that I'm a Puritan (which is a silly title anyhow as to my knowledge, they had sex!) I don't like women being objectified. See, if you have a movie with men just panting over some "hawt woman" and wanting to fuck her, as opposed to wanting to share a loving sexual relationship with her, then people see that and think that it should be like that. And treat women like crap. I don't like that. I fully admit that it's a personal issue with me as that I wish *some* men would see that we're more than vaginas and breasts. There are too many out there who don't.

So how far off-topic are we now?
Quite a bit. But since I'm the OP in that I wrote the article, I certainly have no objection.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old April 29 2008, 04:06 PM   #36
stonester1
Rear Admiral

On men seeing women as "vaginas and breasts", I really don't think movies of any sort created that trend. That has existed since there has been a division of the sexes. I've seen the same movies and I don't think that way.

If some men see it that way (they do and they always will), so be it. Just makes it easier for us men who don't.

The women, on the other hand, need to get over their bad boy fixations, who always are of the "breast n' vagina" mindset.
Old April 29 2008, 09:25 PM   #37
ancient
Vice Admiral

[quote=T'Bonz;1585104]
Pioneer wrote: View Post
Many of us do desire more, you know. Sex in and of itself is good but with the emotional component, it moves from just a physical release to more.

And what's wrong with sex-as-and-end-in-itself?
Just wanting to fuck someone like in those kinds of movies cheapens it and it's an insult to the target of the desire.

Many if not most women want to be more than just a, uh, object for a male to relieve his own desires.
As a guy I have to agree with this, I'm also one of those uncool people who likes relationships. Personally, I don't find a lot of enjoyment in targeting someone. Relationships are a bit harder, but I think more fun (not to mention safer).
Old April 29 2008, 09:26 PM   #38
ancient
Vice Admiral

Yay for the non-edit!
Old April 29 2008, 11:13 PM   #39
thumbtack
Commodore

And to add insult the injury, they're not only socially inept, but young, immature and not hawt themselves.
Well, the hawt guys aren't going to sully their reputations by sleeping with a teacher (old hag). The hawt guys are much too busy with girls their own age.