RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,523
Posts: 5,512,392
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 462
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

 
 
Thread Tools
Old April 27 2008, 05:15 PM   #16
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Grinch's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Actually, while doing the news article, I looked up the scant information available on this fine film to come:

"Hot" is a "Superbad"-like story of a high school senior who sets out to have sex with his teacher before he graduates.
So no, I didn't assume. But your point is taken. Nowadays, anything could go and it could have well been a male teacher and females swarming after him.

Except - this is Hollywood. If I hear "Hot for Teacher" as a movie title, I'm reasonably sure it's some geeky, gawky, loser of a young man trying to get laid, usually with the cheerleading section of his other geeky, gawky, loser friends egging him on.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline  
Old April 27 2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Actually, while doing the news article, I looked up the scant information available on this fine film to come:

"Hot" is a "Superbad"-like story of a high school senior who sets out to have sex with his teacher before he graduates.
So no, I didn't assume. But your point is taken. Nowadays, anything could go and it could have well been a male teacher and females swarming after him.

Except - this is Hollywood. If I hear "Hot for Teacher" as a movie title, I'm reasonably sure it's some geeky, gawky, loser of a young man trying to get laid, usually with the cheerleading section of his other geeky, gawky, loser friends egging him on.
And you find this "bleccch" because you're a girl? What's wrong with a person trying to get laid? What I find wrong is that "getting laid" always seems to be such a struggle in this hung-up puritanical society. Is it just a stereotype that girls are always looking for a "meaningful relationship" and guys are "just" trying to "get laid" or is it human nature? I don't know. What do you think?
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 27 2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Star Treks
Fleet Captain
 
Location: California
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

If you read The Decameron, you'll find that the stereotype was pretty much the opposite. In fact through at least several hundred years ago, women were generally depicted as the sex addicts.

To me this suggests that it's basically societal, stereotypical, cultural, and not part of human nature.

In other words, yeah the stereotypes are dumb and annoying.
__________________
"Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weakon our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence."

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 01:14 AM   #19
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Star Treks wrote: View Post
If you read The Decameron, you'll find that the stereotype was pretty much the opposite. In fact through at least several hundred years ago, women were generally depicted as the sex addicts.

To me this suggests that it's basically societal, stereotypical, cultural, and not part of human nature.

In other words, yeah the stereotypes are dumb and annoying.
I was more interested in talking about reality rather than fiction. Also, I wanted to get a girl's opinion. Unless you're a girl but I have no way of knowing since there is no gender info in anyone's profile. But one thing's for sure: gender really seems to matter in matters of opinion, especially around here. T'Bonz?

Oh, and why is it "dumb and annoying"? Really. Why?
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 05:20 AM   #20
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Grinch's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Pioneer wrote: View Post
]And you find this "bleccch" because you're a girl? What's wrong with a person trying to get laid? What I find wrong is that "getting laid" always seems to be such a struggle in this hung-up puritanical society. Is it just a stereotype that girls are always looking for a "meaningful relationship" and guys are "just" trying to "get laid" or is it human nature? I don't know. What do you think?
Because first of all, I don't think it's something in which friends need to be involved. And I'm old-fashioned. I kinda link sex with a loving relationship. Usually in those types of movies though, it's SCOOORRRRE! Get the hawt girl!

And to add insult the injury, they're not only socially inept, but young, immature and not hawt themselves.

There ya go.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 05:56 AM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

I avoid such movies for similar reasons. I find the sex-as-and-end-in-itself mindset extremely distasteful.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 01:47 PM   #22
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Pioneer wrote: View Post
]And you find this "bleccch" because you're a girl? What's wrong with a person trying to get laid? What I find wrong is that "getting laid" always seems to be such a struggle in this hung-up puritanical society. Is it just a stereotype that girls are always looking for a "meaningful relationship" and guys are "just" trying to "get laid" or is it human nature? I don't know. What do you think?
Because first of all, I don't think it's something in which friends need to be involved. And I'm old-fashioned. I kinda link sex with a loving relationship. Usually in those types of movies though, it's SCOOORRRRE! Get the hawt girl!

And to add insult the injury, they're not only socially inept, but young, immature and not hawt themselves.

There ya go.
Yep. You're "old-fashioned". I get it. But not everyone is, you know. Cheap, low-brow humor seems to sell in the US. Me? I just don't see it as such a big deal. No "bleccch". No "wow". Just "Meh". But that's just me. So there you go.
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 01:51 PM   #23
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Lindley wrote: View Post
I avoid such movies for similar reasons. I find the sex-as-and-end-in-itself mindset extremely distasteful.
Let me guess. You're a girl, right? Am I wrong?
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 01:59 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

You're wrong.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 05:19 PM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Pioneer wrote: View Post
What's wrong with a person trying to get laid?
If getting laid is wrong I don't wanna be (etc etc you know the drill...)
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 06:22 PM   #26
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Grinch's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Pioneer wrote: View Post
Yep. You're "old-fashioned". I get it. But not everyone is, you know. Cheap, low-brow humor seems to sell in the US. Me? I just don't see it as such a big deal. No "bleccch". No "wow". Just "Meh". But that's just me. So there you go.
Understood. And I've never called for such movies to be banned/not done. I recognize that others enjoy them, just as inexplicably people enjoy American Idol and such.

I just don't waste my dollars on them.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Pioneer wrote: View Post
What's wrong with a person trying to get laid?
If getting laid is wrong I don't wanna be (etc etc you know the drill...)
Thank You!

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956), U.S. journalist.
From: A Book of Burlesques, "Sententiae" (1920).
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 06:28 PM   #28
Pioneer
Captain
 
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

Lindley wrote: View Post
You're wrong.
Gay then?
__________________
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Pioneer is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 06:32 PM   #29
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Grinch's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

That's enough of that, thank you.

So it's gay to want sex in a loving relationship as opposed to trying to score with one's friends cheering one on?

Gotcha.

And no, I think sex is great (lest I get something thrown at me. ) But I need the emotional component to go with the physical. Having sex for the sake of sex is not enough.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline  
Old April 28 2008, 07:02 PM   #30
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Abrams Moves On To Next Project

And no in any case.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.