Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 24 2008, 02:34 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Meaney On 'Deep Space Nine'

Colm Meaney was not a fan of science-fiction, but saw its appeal after his seven years on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

As reported by Rotten Tomatoes, Meaney is not disappointed in not being asked to work on Star Trek XI. "When we were doing the show [Deep Space Nine] and people asked would I like to do a movie, my position was always, 'If I do a feature, I'd rather not do it a space suit!' I spent seven years in a space suit and that was fine. I did the TV show, but it's funny, a lot of people who watch Star Trek know I do that, but they don't know I do movies too, and similarly people who go to the movies don't know I did Star Trek. It's like I'm these two different actors in two different careers, and that's great, I love that. I think if you start stepping into the feature world in Star Trek you become known to a wider audience as that and it becomes limiting."

Meaney did not regret his time on Deep Space Nine though. "We had a great time doing the show. Don't get me wrong, we had a great crew and a great cast. And the writing on that show was very good. We did twenty-six episodes a year for seven years and there were maybe three or four duds in a year, which wasn't bad. We got on very well. So it was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed it, but after seven years it was a perfect time to quit, walk away and do other things."

Prior to doing Deep Space Nine, Meaney was neither a Star Trek nor a science-fiction fan. "Science fiction would not have been my favorite genre," he said. "I never really developed an interest in it. But doing the series was interesting because I realized that science fiction can be used to really comment on today in a very direct way. We were doing shows about genetic engineering, you know, and there was even a great two-part episode about homelessness, I remember, which was set in about 2040. It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."

Working with Rick Berman was a good experience, as Berman was sensitive to Meaney's needs. "Well I was very lucky to have a great exec producer in Rick Berman," explained Meaney. "In fact, one of my worries when they offered me Deep Space Nine was that I'd be going to a full-time role after having just recurred in The Next Generation. I...was a series regular on DS9. Rick sat me down one day and said, 'I promise you, I'll always let you out to do a feature you really want to do.' And over the course of the seven years he did. There were a couple of things he said no to, but they were things I wasn't particularly desperate to do anyway. The important ones I did get to do. They'd write me out of two or three episodes, or have me shoot the last day of one episode and the first day of the next episode. I could do a couple of days in LA and get back to wherever I was shooting movies."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old April 24 2008, 02:38 AM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Meaney On 'Deep Space Nine'

Gotta love this down-to-earth guy! Looking forward to see him on television again.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old April 24 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Meaney was always one of my favorites. Seems like one of the actors you could just sit down and watch the game with...real chill
Old April 24 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
donners22
Commodore

The only things I've seen him in outside Trek are Con Air and The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns...
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old April 24 2008, 03:42 PM   #5
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Check him out in the 'Commitments'. Not a starring role but still a good one.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
Old April 24 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

You also might consider him in more substantial roles in "Layer Cake" (opposite Daniel Craig) and "Intermission" (opposite Colin Farrell).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 24 2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

donners22 wrote: View Post
The only things I've seen him in outside Trek are Con Air and The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns...
FrontLine wrote: View Post
Check him out in the 'Commitments'. Not a starring role but still a good one.
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
You also might consider him in more substantial roles in "Layer Cake" (opposite Daniel Craig) and "Intermission" (opposite Colin Farrell).
In addition to The Commitments he was in two other Roddy Doyle films: The Snapper, and The Van where he had larger roles. He also played a bad guy in the Steven Segal movie Under Siege. Of course, there's always the trusty IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old April 24 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."
I guess he's never heard of The Wire. It's not at all "impossible" to address the types of issues DS9 did on TV in a non sci-fi setting.
Old April 24 2008, 09:23 PM   #9
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Colm Meaney is a class act. And this article is just further evidence of that.

What a great guy!

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
Old April 24 2008, 10:55 PM   #10
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Interesting the different opinions on Rick Berman. On one side, you have Garrett Wang who completely bashed Berman in an interview, and this is also going with the fact that Wang isn't as well known. Then you have Meaney say nice things about the guy. I've always like Meaney on Star Trek and I really like it when the cast of this show in general (DS9) come out and talk about their experiences. With all the chat of Shatner or Stewart, it's really a breath of fresh air, when there is a story on Meaney or even Brooks.
Old April 24 2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Servo
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It was really a social commentary where in the not-too-distant future we could develop a permanent under-class who are segregated from society. In contemporary television you couldn't do that, so I realized the value of science fiction as a genre by doing the show."
I guess he's never heard of The Wire. It's not at all "impossible" to address the types of issues DS9 did on TV in a non sci-fi setting.
Good job he didn't actually use the word "impossible" then, isn't it? And I'm pretty sure he was talking about TV in the early-to-mid 90's (which is when DS9 started and the episodes he's referring to aired), rather that the early 2000's, which is when The Wire started.
Old April 25 2008, 03:49 AM   #12
Aragorn
Admiral

So what would Meaney say if he had been on Voyager?

"We did twenty-six episodes a year for seven years and there were maybe three or four good episodes in a year, which is more than I can say for Smallville."