Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 17 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
South Park - Season 12, So Far

We haven't had a South Park thread in a few weeks so what have you thought of the season so far. I think the last episode we actually talked about was the one with Kenny becoming addicted to cat piss (Which was really great) so it's been I think 3 episodes since then. So far, this season has been really hit or miss for me. I loved the Canada on Strike episode (And all the Youtube Stars) and Garrison turning back into a guy (The rat penis was halarious) but the one that just aired tonight wasn't as great. This could have benefited for the use of Cartmen so much. I mean the internet goes down worldwide and Cartmen is only in what, 2 scenes and doesn't talk? It could have been comic gold if he had. Still, there were some interesting scenes, like Randy and the Jizz at the end, but other than that, hopefully next week is better.
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: South Park - Season 12, So Far

Oh god, yesterday's episode was fairly bad... a giant router? Really?
Mr. Carmenez was genius... this... was not.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 04:18 PM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

All of this seasons episodes have been blah and forgettable. There have been funny episodes, and good jokes, but nothing that you will remember years from now like Cartoon wars and Imaginationland.
Old April 17 2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

I'm a big SP fan and I know they will bounce back, but I think just about every episode this season has been mediocre; I think in the long run this is probably one of the weakest seasons of South Park ever.

My favorite episode was Canada On Strike, and that one was only average; the Cartmenez episode as okay but fairly predictable. The rest have been pretty dull... not terrible, just below their standards.

Oh well, I'm not a big complainer. Like I said, I'm sure it will bounce back eventually.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

They had a nice streak going with "Major Boobage," "Canada On Strike" (Probably their best sociopolitical commentary episode since "The Snuke"), and "Eek, A Penis," but this one fell really flat. I found last night's "Destination Truth" to be far more entertaining.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

This has been a weak batch, but the last three were much better. I liked the Internet episode, I liked the Rat-Penis episode, I liked Canada on Strike. It was the ones before that I didn't enjoy that much. Still, haven't had a classic yet. There's been a few where it looks like they're approaching brilliance, like when they reveal the Close Encounters Internet, but it never goes anywhere. I miss Imaginationland and Go God Go!.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

While the last few episodes have been an improvement over the first couple episodes, the season overall has still been a bit underwhelming. Don't Trey Parker and Matt Stone have a deal in place to keep South Park on until like 2011 or something ridiculous? I'm not sure how much worse the series will get between now and then. But they could really use some help right about now.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 05:43 PM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
While the last few episodes have been an improvement over the first couple episodes, the season overall has still been a bit underwhelming. Don't Trey Parker and Matt Stone have a deal in place to keep South Park on until like 2011 or something ridiculous? I'm not sure how much worse the series will get between now and then. But they could really use some help right about now.
I don't think they need that much help but it does look like they are showing signs of creative block. I mean the previous few seasons have been nothing short of brilliant (Imaginationland was one of the best arcs ever) and I even thought the show could do no wrong. Now it seems like the show needs more time off so Matt and Tray can have better ideas. We're only like 6 episodes into the season so there is still time for it to be good and not to panic, but given what we've gotten so far, it could be a whole lot better. One thing they should do is go back to focusing on the main 4: Kyle, Cartmen, Kenny, and Stan. I've noticed there has been a lot of focus lately on other characters like Randy and that isn't good.
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Since it's been mentioned a couple times, I have to throw out my two cents on Imaginationland: way overrated.

The episodes were above average, but it was not some epic achievement for South Park. It really should have been a two-parter as the last two episodes essentially reiterated the humor from the first episode.

I think there was a lot of fanboyish joy in seeing characters from so many different franchises mixed together, but the arc as a whole was only so-so.

Again, I say this as a big SP fan who likes a lot of their stuff. I thought Cartoon Wars was a better multi-episode venture, even though I also like Family Guy.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

Unfortunately there's only two more episodes in this batch, then we have to wait until the Fall.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 08:33 PM   #11
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Defo agree with you about Imagnation Land, I don't really see what's so great about it besides the "oh looks its Darth Maul" stype stuff. It felt really stretched out, should have been a 2 parter at the most, no way 3

I'm enjoying Season 12, it's not amazing or anything but there are some good episodes. I'd say "Major Boobage" is easily the best one of the season so far
"Would you like to see my daughters awesome tits now?"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 08:56 PM   #12
TigerBait
Captain

View TigerBait's Twitter Profile

Eh, i like it enough for the quote from the bear:

"Why dont we get someone with AIDS to pee in her eye socket, so she dies all slow like"?
Old April 17 2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I thought last night's episode was ok, but not great. I did have a few funny moments, like the guy was ordering books from Amazon, seeing as how they wouldn't be able to see they got an order.

I did find the rest of the episode kind of lame though, since I'm going to school to be in the IT field and I know they way they depicted the Internet isn't even close to how it works. I know it's just a cartoon, but I was still somewhat disappointed.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 11:27 PM   #14
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I have to admit this season has been so-so. Yesterday's episode was another example. Really like The Grapes of Wrath spoof and Stan's father is always funny, especially when he's typing in all the nasty stuff he likes to watch. But it just couldn't get over the hump. It definitely could have done with Cartman's involvement and I really could have done without that scene where Randy is caught in the trailer (although the Segal reference at the end was funny.

Liked Canada on Strike and the Carmentiz bit was inspired. But otherwise, this hasn't been a very memorable season. I still think the show will bounce back thouh.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 11:31 PM   #15
Twilight
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's been "meh" so far.

Best part of the season, IMO:

"HOW DO I REEEACH DEEZ KEEEEDS?!"
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote