New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2008, 07:51 PM   #31
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Do you think I'd like Firefly?

Rent it first.

Also, be careful around the Browncoats. Some of them are, shall we say, a tad fanatic.
Old April 10 2008, 08:05 PM   #32
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
If there's aliens involved they just need to 'feel' alien, I think.
Well there are no aliens, hence that's not an issue
Old April 10 2008, 09:19 PM   #33
marplanauta
Commander

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post

My favorite shows (probably in this order):

- nuBSG
- DS9
- Babylon 5

Shows I don't like (no particular order):

- Farscape
- ST VOY
- ST ENT
Same shows i like and dont like

I have just finished watching Firefly last week and i loved it. It is amazingly well written. You will like it.
Old April 10 2008, 11:39 PM   #34
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

My bet is that you'll like Firefly. I do - tho I don't think it's the best show EVAAHHH!! - and here's how I stack up with your choices:

- nuBSG - very good, thought-provoking, sometimes too messy, self-indulgent and aggravating
- DS9 - best sci fi series ever (tho Lost is gaining fast)
- Babylon 5 - very respectable; what I liked in DS9, I generally like in B5
- Farscape - all over the map; if you can tolerate its garbagey stuff, you'll be rewarded with brilliance
- ST VOY - urgh; but hey, it's Star Trek!
- ST ENT - three seasons of urgh, one of hey, this is good...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 02:47 PM   #35
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

Mutarada wrote: View Post
Also, be careful around the Browncoats. Some of them are, shall we say, a tad fanatic.
I think the reason the Browncoats promote the show so heavily is that, as the very existence of this thread shows, it's kinda hard to get someone to actually sit down and watch it.
Old April 11 2008, 02:57 PM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Hard to say. "Firefly" doesn't have much in common with B5 or DS9; on the other hand, it doesn't have much in common with "Voyager" or "Enterprise."

If you like nuBSG, there's a chance you'll like "Firefly" - but it's a shot in the dark. Whedon's shows are much funnier and rely more on dialogue which is almost self-consciously clever a good deal of the time.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 03:03 PM   #37
stj
Rear Admiral

It's basically Jesse James in space. If you liked a movie like American Outlaws (Colin Farrell as Jesse James) you'd like this---the jokes are funnier. It has pretensions to something more dramatic, like Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil (Tobey Maguire, Skeet Ulrich, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and some singer) but it's not very successful at that.
Old April 11 2008, 03:37 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

HRHTheKING wrote: View Post
Do you think I'd like Firefly?
I don't know.

But I love it.

Watch it and judge for yourself.
Look, don't try to throw common sense into an internet message board, you'll only get hurt.

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 07:08 PM   #39
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Chris_Johnston wrote: View Post
Mutarada wrote: View Post
I think the reason the Browncoats promote the show so heavily is that, as the very existence of this thread shows, it's kinda hard to get someone to actually sit down and watch it.
I'm not sure if you're referring to me but as I said at the beginning of this thread it's very likely I'll be giving the show a try. I'm just curious to hear what people think.
So I'm not quite sure why you think this thread proves that it's hard to get someone to actually sit down and watch it.
Old April 11 2008, 07:46 PM   #40
doc
Cadet

this is my very first post on the Trek BBS, but thought i would tell you i waited till last year to watch Firefly. Many friends have told me over the last few years to check it out. I finely did. Just to make it clear, view it in order- not something you want to jump in on. The characters move forward from episode to episode. It will be one of your favorites.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 09:19 PM   #41
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Before I ever watched firefly, I knew there was a big internet buzz about. It had a lot of rabid fans singing it's praises, many of whom stated its good point in clear arguments. None of them won me over. Ever. Every fan loves their show, and thinks it's the most wonderful thing in the world.
Now, when I watched firefly, I loved it and thought it was the most wonderful thing in the world. Numerous friends who are sci-fi fans don't get. I think they are humorless fools for not loving it, but there's nothing I can do to convince them.

Rent it. Borrow it. If your not in love with it twenty minutes into the pilot, you won't have lost much.

Last edited by ManOnTheWave; April 11 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: take my love, take my land...
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 10:17 PM   #42
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

The so-called "rabid nature" of fans has died down significantly over the last couple years. Most fans merely loved the show and got excited about an underdog cause. I know that there are those whose perception of the show and Browncoats has been forever tainted by bad experiences during the height of the fandom. I think that's sad, because now, in a perfectly reasonable thread asking for opinions, apparently some folks still feel the need to "warn" people that the fans are crazy and scary. I met some of the neatest people through being a Firefly fan. And I have NEVER seen a fan behave in anything beyond a sincere excitement and desire to share the show they love with others.

I'll tell you this, too, you'll never meet a more gracious bunch of celebs than the Firefly cast & crew. They're all awesome.
Old April 12 2008, 10:44 PM   #43
The_Beef
Lieutenant Commander

I've heard that as well. I have a friend who met Jewel Staite, who plays Kaylee a few years ago at a convention and he couldn't stop talking about how well she got along with everybody. Apparently the cast and crew got along famously, which helped a lot in bringing them together again for the film.

After having gone back and watched many of the episodes again, I'm forced to agree that starting on Out of Gas is a bad idea. Its a great episode and does provide a lot of background, but its not a starting point. It had simply been a while since I'd seen it. The only issue with starting on either Serenity Parts One and Two or The Train Job is that I wouldn't call either one my favorite episode. The trouble is that the best ones, in my opinion, are just some of their random misadventures, and they're not really starting points. I'd say just go with the order thats been recommended, which is also the order they're provided in on the DVD set. Just keep in mind the somewhat jumbled nature of the show's episode production and all should be fine.
The_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 06:15 PM   #44
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

It's a hugely unique series IMO. As Weddon has said, the intro with Firefly "rustling up" some cattle "sums up the series in 5 seconds". It's just such a unique blend of sci-fi and western, you'll be suprised that it works, but it does! Another good thing is, I've even known people that hate sci-fi to like it. That might not sound like a plus, but there's enough SF for SF fans to like it, but not so much that people not into SF will be turned off. There isn't a load of technobabble either, Kaylee (the engineer) speaks in, pretty much, laymans terms (more like a greasemonkey than a Trek engineer) and has this cute "hick" accent (well, all the cast except the Tam duo do, but Kaylee is the character that grew on me the most, especially after "Shindig" - well except for River, hence the DP :P

I wanted to see more by about half-way into the pilot ("what's up with the girl in the box?") and was hooked by the time "Bushwhacked" came about. And I really dislike Buffy and Angel, so if you're turned off by those shows, I wouldn't be turned off of FF.

Check out any of the episode decriptions on wikipedia - there's a lot of foreshadowing and references to previous eps. That might be a bonus to you.

antichristhill wrote: View Post
by the time I saw "Objects in Space," I was addicted.
By the time I saw that ep, I'd become very depressed that there was no more Firefly, and that there was more character development in a mere 14 episodes than, dare I say, 7 seasons of voyager. I was glad to be on the ride though.

I'm almost certain you'll like it, regardless of that SF you're into, I've shown it to people from all walks of life, and all have liked it to some degree, even those whose closest brush with SF was seeing Star Wars ep IV.

Oh, and I'll forewarn you, the theme song will be stuck in your head long after you've finished watching the series (this is a SF series where having lyrics is a good thing, far better than with ENT IMO)!
hxclespaulplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 10:53 PM   #45
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Loved loved LOVED this series...I got the dvds on the cheap and watched it on the reputation it had here...you have to go watch it with the mindset that it's a mini-series so you won't get too depressed that it was cancelled so soon

I didn't like the movie nearly as much as the series, but it was pretty good too.

Oh ya, that opening tune will stay with you a while...

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me

Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote