Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 4 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
captainvector
Ensign

Prequel to Insurrection/Nemesis; Picard & Co vs the Dominion

I've been informed by a source that Star Trek 9 (Insurrection) was originally intended to feature Picard & Co fighting the Dominion!
Jonathan Frakes was apparently keen to direct this storyline for the movie.
However the producers of Star Trek didn't want this to happen has it would have interfered with DS9.
In other words, they didn't want a TNG movie with the Dominion to "take the wind out of DS9's sail", or so to speak.
Besides why not have the Dominion has an enemy of the TNG crew?
DS9 used the Cardassians, the Klingons, and the Romulans, and they were enemies in the other Star Trek series.
Futhermore to make a movie set during the Dominion War, that didn't have Picard and the Enterprise-E facing off against the Dominion, makes Picard and his crew look snooty and remote!
Perhaps this storyline would be better suited to the next Star Trek movie, rather than a prequel to the Original Series!
However I would like to know your thoughts on this subject!

Last edited by captainvector; August 4 2008 at 04:33 PM.
captainvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Brian
Vice Admiral

Re: Prequel to Insurrection/Nemesis; Picard & Co vs the Dominion

So...

The producers of Star Trek 9 intended to make it about the Dominion War.

But the producers of Star Trek (the same people) didn't like that idea, so they went with Insurrection.

Non Sequitur.
Old August 4 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Campe98
Commodore

Who's this so-called source?
Old August 4 2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Campe98 wrote: View Post
I've been informed by MY so-called source that his so-called source just made the whole thing up.

If someone on the internet posts about information they gained from an anonymous, unverifiable source, then it must be true!
Bacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Campe98
Commodore

Bacl wrote: View Post
Campe98 wrote: View Post
I've been informed by MY so-called source that his so-called source just made the whole thing up.

If someone on the internet posts about information they gained from an anonymous, unverifiable source, then it must be true!
That's where I was going with that, but I was trying to be a liiiitle more subtle.
Old August 4 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Brian
Vice Admiral

A "source" (the guy who empties the trash in my office) told me that when Rick Berman pitched his Dominion War movie idea to Rick Berman, Rick Berman's head nearly exploded. Rick Berman told Rick Berman that doing a movie about that would seriously undermine Rick Berman's show Deep Space Nine and what must Rick Berman be smoking to even consider such a thing? Properly bitch-slapped, Rick Berman went back to the drawing board and came up with Insurrection, a storyline with which Rick Berman was allegedly "very pleased".

Or so says my source.

Old August 4 2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The introduction of ketracel-white into the movie certainly made me wonder if there wasn't a stronger Dominion angle in an earlier version of the script. The way it ended up, it sorta had no purpose anymore.

I have no "inside sources" telling me this. Just something I've been wondering about since I saw the movie.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 01:40 PM   #8
captainvector
Ensign

If you did some proper research regarding Star Trek Insurrection, then you would uncover some interesting information!
How about this for size, Jonathan Frakes was not happy with the final script for Insurrection; and in one draft of the script there were "constant references" to the Dominion War.

I don't know how everybody else feels, but in my opinion, had Paramount gone with the Dominion War related script, we would have a stronger series of movies to look back on.

Instead, Paramount now opts to make a prequel to the Original Series, which I consider to be a diabolical mistake of epic portion!
Does anybody else remember a Star Trek series called "Enterprise"!
I do, it was a big mistake. A giant nail in the coffin of Star Trek, if you will!
And this next movie will probably be the final nail!
captainvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 07:31 PM   #9
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

brian wrote: View Post
So...

The producers of Star Trek 9 intended to make it about the Dominion War.

But the producers of Star Trek (the same people) didn't like that idea, so they went with Insurrection.

Non Sequitur.
But funnily enough, I heard the same kind of story about "First Contact", where they were not happy about the Defiant being used on-screen, and decided never to reference the events in DS9.

Maybe there was a little friction between the various production offices??

Script changes are par for the course though. In Star Trek III for example, firstly the villains were going to be the Romulans, then Kruge was supposed to steal a Romulan ship, then finally it simply became a Klingon Bird-of-Prey, with a cloaking device.
Old August 6 2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

captainvector wrote: View Post
If you did some proper research regarding Star Trek Insurrection, then you would uncover some interesting information!
Well, since you apparently did some "proper" research, why not share the links/locations where this info can be found?

How about this for size, Jonathan Frakes was not happy with the final script for Insurrection; and in one draft of the script there were "constant references" to the Dominion War.
Care to share?

I don't know how everybody else feels, but in my opinion, had Paramount gone with the Dominion War related script, we would have a stronger series of movies to look back on.
Just because a movie might use the Dominion War as their setting doesn't automatically make it better. Hell, if they did use the war, people would be complaining with "Oh, they should have just did an original story instead of stealing DS9's stuff!"

Instead, Paramount now opts to make a prequel to the Original Series, which I consider to be a diabolical mistake of epic portion!
Does anybody else remember a Star Trek series called "Enterprise"!
I do, it was a big mistake. A giant nail in the coffin of Star Trek, if you will!
And this next movie will probably be the final nail!
Prequel =/= bad. There was nothing inherently wrong with Enterprise; it was just "more of the same" which is a legitimate complaint (although, I personally loved the series).

You also fail to realize that this new movie is being done by a completely different creative team. We don't know what to expect from them, so claiming that their efforts are a mistake is misguided and premature.
Old August 8 2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Regardless if the rumor is true or not, it could have been fun, and certainly better than what we got. ...Seeing vain decadent Vorta stretching their skin would have been cool.

There was also a time when they were considering the Romulans as baddies in INS.

...Ah jeez, anything would have been better than what we got.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

This source is bogus. At no time was there any consideration to making what became Insurrection to be a Dominion War movie.
Old August 9 2008, 06:19 AM   #13
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Arpy wrote: View Post
There was also a time when they were considering the Romulans as baddies in INS.
Also, if memory serves, it was going to be revealed in that early idea that Picard was really a Romulan sleeper agent (or something like that) all this time and never knew it. By the end of the movie, he would have accepted the fact that he was a Rommie and the TNG movies would have continued with Picard as a Romulan.

Thankfully, they decided not to go that route (although, that basic idea was later used in NEM).
Old August 9 2008, 08:19 AM   #14
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

A "source" (the guy who empties the trash in my office) told me that when Rick Berman pitched his Dominion War movie idea to Rick Berman, Rick Berman's head nearly exploded. Rick Berman told Rick Berman that doing a movie about that would seriously undermine Rick Berman's show Deep Space Nine and what must Rick Berman be smoking to even consider such a thing? Properly bitch-slapped, Rick Berman went back to the drawing board and came up with Insurrection, a storyline with which Rick Berman was allegedly "very pleased".

Or so says my source.

So, Berman has multiple personality disorder?
Old August 11 2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Brian
Vice Admiral

blaXXer wrote: View Post

Or so says my source.

So, Berman has multiple personality disorder?
Among other things.

Allegedly.