Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 6 2008, 09:48 PM   #1
mahler5
Lieutenant Commander

Would a Captain Sulu series have killed trek?

Should they have gone with a Captain Sulu based series instead of Voyager?
What would the effect on Trek have been?
Thoughts?
mahler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Would a Captain Sulu series have killed trek?

I believe a Captain Sulu series would have worked 15 years ago. I would have certainly watched it, as I was in love with the Excelsior at the time and considered Sulu to be a Captain with mucho gravitas. I think the effect of such a series would have been a positive one, at least for me. I love the movie era Star Trek, it's my favorite. I love the ships, the uniforms, the technology, I love it all, and I would have happily continued on to whatever Trek afterward to see what awaited me.

With VOY, I didn't feel that way. Less than a season into it I started fading. I was still on a TNG high and didn't like the darker feel of DS9 (yet) but didn't like the clinical, bland feel of VOY (still don't). Now, your mileage may vary, but after VOY, I was hesitant to see what was next, because it just seemed, oh, I don't know, foreboding because if VOY had become milquetoast (and for me it was certainly that), what would follow?

So for me, yes a Captain Sulu series would have had a more positive effect. As for the franchise, I believe so as well.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
zenophite
Rear Admiral

I don't think Takei had the presence necessary to make such a series work well. He's ok but just not as the main lead.
Old April 7 2008, 02:42 AM   #4
smetna
Cadet

I am not sure it would have killed trek, but I am not sure that George could have handled a lead position in a major tv series.
smetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It would have taken Trek off TV at least three years earlier than the way things turned out. Hey, we could have had the first "nuTrek" movie out in theaters by 2006!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 03:02 AM   #6
Garrovick

It depends...

What if the characters, stories, writers and production staff were exactly the same?

Just Sulu and the Excellsior replaced Voyager and Janeway?
Old April 7 2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Takei instead of Mulgrew?

In the toilet. And I'm no fan of Mulgrew's.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 04:53 AM   #8
Aragorn
Admiral

Considering how UPN wanted their Star Trek (to hold them up as a network and play it safe) and the type of shows B&B put out, would it basically be Voyager-quality and Voyager-type scripts for Excelsior?

I thought a Takei/Excelsior series could've worked -- until I saw him on Voyager and realized how crappy he would've been as a lead.

I would've liked to have seen a series set during the red uniform era, but a better choice might've been to see a Harriman show. How does a rookie captain react to 1) the changing times in the Federation, and 2) Kirk dying on his watch. With Alan Ruck, I also think it might've been a good chance for the captain not to be the lead of the show. Make it more of an ensemble where the captain gets the "and" credit. Maybe make the first officer the star.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Takei doesn't have the chops to be the lead. He's merely a supporting player.
Old April 7 2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I thought the same, then I saw him on Heroes. I think he'd have done fine, given better dialogue than what he was seated with on Voyager. It's too late now of course, but I think that in the 90s it would have been fun.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 04:44 PM   #11
zenophite
Rear Admiral

I think it's important to note though that Takei is not a central player on Heroes and has had most of his lines in a foreign language. Even with that I think it is fairly easy to see that Takei is strictly a supporting actor.
Old April 7 2008, 06:08 PM   #12
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

The only way it would have worked is if William Hung played Sulu. And sang at the end of each episode.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Takomaguy
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I believe a Captain Sulu series would have worked 15 years ago. I would have certainly watched it, as I was in love with the Excelsior at the time and considered Sulu to be a Captain with mucho gravitas. I think the effect of such a series would have been a positive one, at least for me. I love the movie era Star Trek, it's my favorite. I love the ships, the uniforms, the technology, I love it all, and I would have happily continued on to whatever Trek afterward to see what awaited me.

With VOY, I didn't feel that way. Less than a season into it I started fading. I was still on a TNG high and didn't like the darker feel of DS9 (yet) but didn't like the clinical, bland feel of VOY (still don't). Now, your mileage may vary, but after VOY, I was hesitant to see what was next, because it just seemed, oh, I don't know, foreboding because if VOY had become milquetoast (and for me it was certainly that), what would follow?

So for me, yes a Captain Sulu series would have had a more positive effect. As for the franchise, I believe so as well.

J.

15 years ago, huh?

Would you hired the Village People to sing the theme song, too?

Seriously though, I think a Captain Sulu show might have worked set in the 24th Century if Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa had played the Sulu's grandson. Especially, if Star Trek ever took and edgy turn.

Some may say he's getting up in year but he still looks like he could kick some ass.

Old April 7 2008, 08:08 PM   #14
zenophite
Rear Admiral

^^^ Commodore or admiral Sulu maybe? But I wholeheartedly agree he would be kick ass! I would definitely watch that!
Old April 7 2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Takomaguy
Captain

zenophite wrote: View Post
^^^ Commodore or admiral Sulu maybe? But I wholeheartedly agree he would be kick ass! I would definitely watch that!
"Admiral Sulu." It's got a ring to it...