Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 4 2008, 04:23 PM   #31
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Re: Stewart Defends Trek Fans

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Your apology for mocking us on Ricky Gervais' Extras is accepted!
That was an excellent episode too

Thanks for the support Patrick. Worth mentioning that Colm Meaney defended us (sort of) on Irish TV a while back. He said Trekkies are usually very polite, come over and say how much they enjoyed the show then leave him alone.
Old April 5 2008, 06:32 PM   #32
dajames
Ensign

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm glad Stewart did what he did, but I wonder if the reporter has a point. I mean trek fans are judged stereotypically as geeks, nerds, and stuff like that and it shows when you get documentaries like Trekkies who show nothing but fans in starfleet uniforms or dressed up as Klingons. It's one thing to show dedication, but it is another to take it to the extreme and those fans out there who do that are fodder for the media. Still, as a professional journalist, she shouldn't have called Stewart on it for the second time.
And yet, sports fans dress up in "uniforms" of their favorite teams...and not just at the games. Go to any shopping mall in this country, and you will see sports fans dressed in the complete regalia of their idols -- they are considered enthusiasts...we are "weird".

I love Star Trek. I don't mind if you don't -- but if you need to put us down to make yourself feel better about life...my advice would be, "physician, heal thyself."
Old April 5 2008, 09:47 PM   #33
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

dajames wrote: View Post
I'm glad Stewart did what he did, but I wonder if the reporter has a point. I mean trek fans are judged stereotypically as geeks, nerds, and stuff like that and it shows when you get documentaries like Trekkies who show nothing but fans in starfleet uniforms or dressed up as Klingons. It's one thing to show dedication, but it is another to take it to the extreme and those fans out there who do that are fodder for the media. Still, as a professional journalist, she shouldn't have called Stewart on it for the second time.
And yet, sports fans dress up in "uniforms" of their favorite teams...and not just at the games. Go to any shopping mall in this country, and you will see sports fans dressed in the complete regalia of their idols -- they are considered enthusiasts...we are "weird".

I love Star Trek. I don't mind if you don't -- but if you need to put us down to make yourself feel better about life...my advice would be, "physician, heal thyself."
You don't know me, so don't assume something that is not true. I said that in most cases, Trek fans are portrayed as weird, and the group who do that is the Media. I brought up the Trekkies thing because that did pretty much come out of the Media juggernut, at least IMO. As for sports, it was a point that was brought up earlier in the thread and it's a great point.

As for me making fun of Trek fans, I am a trek fan. Have been all my life and I still watch it occasionally. I said that I appreciate Stewart for doing what he did, but I was playing a little devils advocate. I knew it wasn't going to work on a board like this but oh well.
Old April 5 2008, 10:03 PM   #34
estrea
Lieutenant Commander

Regardless of Mr. Stewart's statements of the past, I think he is a class act. Two cheers for Mr. Stewart. And Mr. Meany. (I hope I spelled that right.)

One of my favorite small stickers, which I purchased at a small Klingon convention, I might add reads: "Normal is a setting on my dryer."
Old April 6 2008, 04:16 AM   #35
dajames
Ensign

You don't know me, so don't assume something that is not true. I said that in most cases, Trek fans are portrayed as weird, and the group who do that is the Media. I brought up the Trekkies thing because that did pretty much come out of the Media juggernut, at least IMO. As for sports, it was a point that was brought up earlier in the thread and it's a great point.

As for me making fun of Trek fans, I am a trek fan. Have been all my life and I still watch it occasionally. I said that I appreciate Stewart for doing what he did, but I was playing a little devils advocate. I knew it wasn't going to work on a board like this but oh well.
---------------------------------------------------

My friend, I didn't mean you...I meant the general "you." as in people.
Old April 6 2008, 04:20 AM   #36
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

---------------------------------------------------

My friend, I didn't mean you...I meant the general "you." as in people.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. You were replying to me so that's why I thought the way I did.
Old April 6 2008, 05:04 AM   #37
dajames
Ensign

no worries...keep on trekkin.

Old April 6 2008, 03:44 PM   #38
John Vasiliou
Lieutenant

And I think as an actor ,you don't want the work you've spent years doing dismissed as weird.
Old April 7 2008, 07:28 PM   #39
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Why don't they use a journalist who knows wtf the topic is.
Old April 11 2008, 09:12 AM   #40
Aragorn
Admiral

I'm glad Stewart did what he did, but I wonder if the reporter has a point.
When the media reports on Star Trek fans, they show the ones that appear in Trekkies and Trekkies 2. When they report on Star Wars fans, they show the ones dressed in costumes in line for the movie two weeks before it opens. At sporting events, shots of the fans are either the really super hot chicks or the shirtless nuts in freezing weather who have painted their entire bodies or the hooligans beating the crap out of one another. That's just the way it is.
Old April 12 2008, 09:07 AM   #41
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Freaks sell more copies/get ratings.