Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 3 2008, 03:28 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Stewart Defends Trek Fans

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Yes, I just responded to myself.

Why?

Because the computer I'm currently on, for some reason, is not showing the edit button.

Carry on.
Yeah I keep forgetting about this little feature of this particular forum.

Otherwise I would have edited my own post to note that being a Trekkie is normal and boring. If you really want to impress people with your exotic weirdness, you have to be a fan of BSG or Farscape. Or still bitching your head off about Firefly.
Old April 3 2008, 03:42 AM   #17
Haytil
Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm glad Stewart did what he did, but I wonder if the reporter has a point.
No, the reporter DOESN'T have a point. Trek fans AREN'T weird. You just see reports of the weird ones all the time because no one wants to report about the normal fandom of any given show - that's not news and its not interesting. Thus, the media gives the appearance that Trek fans are weird because it never shows the vast majority of them, which are normal.

And by even bothering to ask this question - and then press the issue - the reporter is perpetuating this false image.
Old April 3 2008, 03:55 AM   #18
Pioneer
Captain

Thanks for sticking up for us, Patrick. We'll have to remember to return the favor.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old April 3 2008, 05:06 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

You know, I've had mixed feelings about Patrick Stewart's comments about fandom in the past, but as far as this goes:

Patrick, keep it up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 3 2008, 10:29 AM   #20
ITL
Vice Admiral

Gertch wrote: View Post
Right. We may march to a different drummer but we're not weird. Okay, maybe those that run caption contests...

I hadn't heard the jump suit story before. He must have been happy to take that off each day. Imagine being in his dressing room seeing him rip it off like a mad man. Course then he'd try to cover up. But it'd be too late, we'd have seen everything.

I get that reference. Nicely done!

And well done Patrick. Nicely said.
Old April 3 2008, 12:28 PM   #21
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Very classy, Patrick!
Old April 3 2008, 12:33 PM   #22
SPOCKED
Admiral

One thing about working on Star Trek that Stewart found to be a nuisance was wearing the jumpsuit. "I came to loathe it," he explained. "We actually got rid of it after the second season thanks to my chiropractor, who said if they don't take you out of that costume we are going to slap a lawsuit on Paramount for the lasting damage done to your spine."According to Stewart, the jumpsuit was "made from Lycra and one size too small.
Tabloid headline: Stewart's Battle Of The Bulge!!
Old April 3 2008, 12:55 PM   #23
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

This makes up for his other abuses against treklovers.
Old April 3 2008, 08:09 PM   #24
T'Cal
Commodore

I just back from my paper route and read this to my mother. She's very happy that he stood up for us. Then she made me some Mac & Cheese. Then it was back to the basement for me!
Old April 3 2008, 08:11 PM   #25
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Cheers, Patrick. Your apology for mocking us on Ricky Gervais' Extras is accepted!
Old April 3 2008, 09:22 PM   #26
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I don't see why he should apologize for that, it was funny as heck.....but he has been less charitable at times in the past, so whatever.
Old April 4 2008, 01:22 AM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

T'Cal wrote: View Post
I just back from my paper route and read this to my mother. She's very happy that he stood up for us. Then she made me some Mac & Cheese. Then it was back to the basement for me!
You ARE wearing your pocket protector, aren't you? If not, I'll have to ask you to turn in your nerdhood.
Old April 4 2008, 01:06 PM   #28
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I never got that reasoning. People who dress as Klingons are weird, but people who get friggin' smashed and start a brawl at a football game, wear face paint of their favorite team, hurl insults at the other team and fans, or dress like their favorite players are completely normal.
Old April 4 2008, 02:27 PM   #29
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I never got that reasoning. People who dress as Klingons are weird, but people who get friggin' smashed and start a brawl at a football game, wear face paint of their favorite team, hurl insults at the other team and fans, or dress like their favorite players are completely normal.
This is why we need a "Klingons" Professional football team . I would be a huge fan, and then we could all dress up as Klingons and sing chants while getting smashed and starting brawls at football games.

Brilliant
Old April 4 2008, 02:33 PM   #30
Danoz
Rear Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
<font color=yellow>Patrick Stewart</font> got testy in an interview recently when he felt that <i>Star Trek</i> fans were being insulted. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.newsweek.com">Newsweek</A>, the former <i>Star Trek: The Next Generation</i> star does not buy into the "Trekkies are oddballs" type attitude all too prevalent amongst non-Star Trek fans.<p>When asked if when playing Macbeth, Stewart was worried about "weird Trekkie fans" in the audience, he replied, "Oh come on, that's just a silly thing to say." <p>When the reporter persisted, insisting that <i>Star Trek</i> fans were weird, Stewart scolded the woman. "How many do you know personally?" he asked. "You couldn't be more wrong. Here is the thing. If you say the fans are weird, that means there is something essentially weird about the show and there is nothing weird about it. I'm very passionate when people like you snigger."<p>One thing about working on <i>Star Trek</i> that Stewart found to be a nuisance was wearing the jumpsuit. "I came to loathe it," he explained. "We actually got rid of it after the second season thanks to my chiropractor, who said if they don't take you out of that costume we are going to slap a lawsuit on Paramount for the lasting damage done to your spine."<p>According to Stewart, the jumpsuit was "made from Lycra and one size too small. The producers wanted to have a smooth, unwrinkled look. It put a terrible amount of strain on the shoulders, neck and back."<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.newsweek.com/id/129592">here</A>.<center></center>
This is part of the reason why Patrick Stewart is such a class act, a great actor and a great guy. He understands that Star Trek fans are truly diverse, that we are politically, religiously, ethnically, and geographically different. It's trite documentaries that make us look like the revenge of the nerds. I'm always surprised when people say my girlfriend and I don't fit the trekkie "profile". What does that even mean?

Star Trek fans are people who know how to think outside the box. They enjoy complex hypotheticals in a unique and boundless setting. They appreciate contentious sociopolitical issues. Many of us are strong proponents of space advocacy. Many of us are socially/environmentally progressive.

We are awesome.