Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 9 2009, 04:37 PM   #1306
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

He seemed to have lost the dressing room, if indeed he ever had it, so I couldn't see him turning things around. It must be said, failure at Wycombe isn't exactly the best preparation for a premier league relegation dogfight.

He was a superb player, definitely one of my favourites in the nineties, because he's exactly what we were missing at Liverpool. It doesn't follow that he would make a great manager though.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 04:54 PM   #1307
Starkers
Admiral

Great player doesn't always = great manager, and year failure at Wycombe isn't the best thing to have on your CV (Ince had at least been succesful at a lower level)

The other problem is that as assistant manager you can be everyone's friend, the good cop to the managers bad cop. Suddenly you have to change your entire persona. Adding in losing players and a relegation battle and the writing was on the wall...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 04:56 PM   #1308
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Tomalak wrote: View Post
It's a friendly, time to be giving the younger players experience without any pressure, not give Gary Neville another cap to stick on his mantlepiece.
I think the caps worthy for G.Neville because I want to see if he can cut it at the top level still...He is playing still for Utd and swapping in and out with Rafael, the Brazillian is good but hes not knicked the place fully and won't until Neville retires probably in 2010.

I would rather use this game and see if he can handle it, instead of playing him against a weaker team and being uner the illusion that he still can.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 05:02 PM   #1309
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Tough to see Adams go, because he remains one of my three favorite players and I wish him well in what he does. He has to be particularly gutted as Pompey gifted Liverpool those goals.

This weekend: If I ever see Eboue in an Arsenal red again I will be deeply disappointed in Wenger. What makes it doubly infuriating is Eboue was having one of his brightest starts; making incisive runs and getting behind the defense.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 05:33 PM   #1310
Jax
Admiral

This was much earlier than I expected...

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has been sacked.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old February 9 2009, 05:46 PM   #1311
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Difficult to see who they think can replace him.

Usual suspects;

Hiddink - Unlikely to leave the Russian national team. They're a cert for the World Cup finals.

Mourinho - Possibly in a sensational return?

Grant - Out of work and did well for them last year.

Other than that, who could they be looking at? Zola, Di Matteo? Too soon surely.
Old February 9 2009, 05:55 PM   #1312
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
^^ Difficult to see who they think can replace him.

Usual suspects;

Hiddink - Unlikely to leave the Russian national team. They're a cert for the World Cup finals.

Mourinho - Possibly in a sensational return?

Grant - Out of work and did well for them last year.

Other than that, who could they be looking at? Zola, Di Matteo? Too soon surely.
Rjikkard did great at Barca though I think the ex Inter boss will be bookies favourite.

As for Jose. I think he wants to stick it to Chelsea owner and looks like Fergie will choose him to take over Utd and Inter is nothing more than a stop gap for that, to win another league title in another country.
Old February 9 2009, 05:56 PM   #1313
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
This was much earlier than I expected...

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has been sacked.
Wow. That actually surprised me. I expected Chelsea to ride out the season with him before he got sacked.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old February 9 2009, 06:44 PM   #1314
Starkers
Admiral

Sven for Chelsea? Didn't do a bad job with City, at least initially? Ridiculous to get rid after half a season. They'd have been better off sticking with Grant to be honest.

Old February 9 2009, 07:25 PM   #1315
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

If Mexico doesn't get past the US on Wednesday in the WC qualifier - and Mexico hasn't beaten the US on US soil since the 90s I believe - there is heavy talk Sven will be sacked.

Old February 9 2009, 07:28 PM   #1316
Hermiod
Admiral

^That surprises me since football is a national obsession in Mexico. They should be a lot better than they are.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 07:47 PM   #1317
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

I can't see Sven at Chelsea. My money is on Frank Rijkaard.

Mexico is like Tottenham. They think they belong with the elites but in reality they are just shite.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 07:56 PM   #1318
Hermiod
Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
I can't see Sven at Chelsea. My money is on Frank Rijkaard.

Mexico is like Tottenham. They think they belong with the elites but in reality they are just shite.

They really should be better, though. They should certainly be able to beat a nation of body armour wearing nancies who think football's a girl's game.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 08:00 PM   #1319
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Before there were global sport packages offered, the only football you could get here was Scottish league (with commercial interruptions during the action?!) and the Mexican League in Spanish. Better than no football right? So I watched it.

Mexican League football - where the bulk of the national team come from - is shocking. No one can be bothered to defend, and the comical goals from laughable defending don't look much different than the stuff I see in my Sunday games. Under the guidance of Sven, the Mexicans barely made it out of the last qualifying round playing against banana republic countries. If they played in Europe, they'd never see a World Cup.

Old February 10 2009, 10:03 AM   #1320
Starkers
Admiral

Well according to the BBC's reporter last night, Chelsea were looking to appoint someone to take them to the end of the season, then hire a new manager, but the impression was given that they already have someone in mind...and they're currently available. Been wracking my brain to think of who this could mean aside from Avram Grant (till the end of the season maybe?) or Curbishly