Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 6 2009, 07:59 PM   #1276
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^For the top league, it was back in the last season before the Premier League started when ITV showed at least one First Division game every week (The Match).

When the Premier League started, ITV started showing second tier games on a regional basis under The Match name. The quality of these games was normally exceptionally poor.

ITV eventually launched the ITV Sport Channel and renamed OnDigital to ITV Digital and any fan of a Football League club at the time will tell you what happened there.

My understanding is that from next season (or possibly the season after, I am not sure) the BBC will be sharing the rights to the Championship (a limited number of live games plus highlights), the rest of the Football League (although I doubt they will show live games) and the Carling Cup (live games including the final and highlights) with Sky Sports. They will most likely be showing Championship highlights as part of Match of the Day.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 08:10 PM   #1277
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I do remember reading last year about the Beeb getting some Championship games- in fact I was under the impression it was going to be this season. They would probably do a better highlights programme than ITV's as well. Actually, I also seem to remember that BBC's Carling Cup coverage would be one semi-final, possibly a quarter-final as well, with joint final coverage.

Maybe BBC will give Cardiff more TV time than Sky do. I think they've had two games televised this season with precisely none coming up between now and March. Whereas Coventry, Blackpool, Preston and Wednesday seem to be on every damn week!
Old February 6 2009, 08:34 PM   #1278
Hermiod
Admiral

^Sky are evil, remember ? They forced the Premier League to accept the Arshavin transfer because they don't want Aston Villa in the top four because their matches get lower ratings than Arsenal games.

It's true, a Villa fan told me.
Old February 6 2009, 10:10 PM   #1279
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ On the regional second tier games shown on ITV. In the Central region, with so many Midlands teams, it actually made for better viewing than the top flight games at the time anyway.

Derby, Forest, Stoke, Birmingham, WBA, Wolves, Port Vale etc. Some great matches. I remember one where we played WBA, 0-0 at half-time. Went on to win 5-3 after 90 minutes. Also remember one where Port Vale played QPR. Port Vale were 4-1 up with about 5 minutes to go, yet it ended up 4-4.

Of course, what I never did understand about the Central region cachment area, was that it suddenly included Swindon and Oxford. WTF?
Old February 6 2009, 10:23 PM   #1280
Hermiod
Admiral

^Yet at the same time, they used to take the piss out of the Endsleigh League on Fantasy Football League every week. When I played football at school we used to play "Endsleigh League Rules" where you'd score points for messing up easy chances in the most spectacular manner possible and for scoring a goal with only one touch after a goal kick.
Old February 6 2009, 10:47 PM   #1281
The Haunting
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
I'm happy for Setanta to have less though - I know all of one person and one pub in my local area with that stupid channel. Although at least they get their adverts put right in the right place...
The pity is that I don't have Sky sports and do have Setanta!

Still mightily pissed off that both Setanta and ITV were showing Everton vs. Liverpool on Wednesday and no one was dowing Derby vs. forest!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 06:31 AM   #1282
Jax
Admiral

From what I gathered, Setanta were supposed to air a game on the night before but games had been called off so they were allowed to show Liverpool/Everton since they were making a highlights show for it anyway...STILL A TOTAL DISGRACE that they didn't show another match.

Media reporting FA are willing to yank ITV FA Cup rights after this season and give them to the BBC, I don' think SKY is allowed to have them because Setanta has the digital rights and the cup is not allowed to be soley on Digital TV...

ALSO I think its time for a law to be passed that all ENGLAND Q/F games, should be shared by BBC/ITV so everyone can watch them unless for certian away games, both pass so then Sky & Setanta can bid for it. Friendlies can stay on digital TV though I won't mind too much BUT its time the games that matter were on the normal 1-5.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 09:35 AM   #1283
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Didn't Setanta show the Burnley game instead of Arsenal-Cardiff on Tuesday? That's what normally happens - it was going to happen when Southend-Chelsea almost got postponed; ITV were going to show Newcastle-Hull instead.

It would be ridiculous to take the FA Cup from ITV for that one mistake, though. I've been watching Champions League and UEFA Cup on there for years and not once have I seen that happen before. So why rob them of it for a one in a million mistake? For god's sake it's not like they didn't show the goal the instant the game ended 3 minutes later is it?

Oh, but it wasn't live? Who cares - 99.9% percent of the goals you see aren't live. The only argument I will accept on it is that the goal was the one exciting thing that happened during over 2 hours of play.

Basically, the FA and everyone else should give ITV a break. I'm standing up for them and I don't even like their commentators, presenters, pundits or opening sequences!
Old February 7 2009, 10:19 AM   #1284
Jax
Admiral

But lets face it ITV sucks, the way they do football is just so behind the likes of MOTD or the Sky team, hell even Setanta have been better and surprised me with there ENG coverage. ITV team of Gayle, Townend is complete crap, only good thing I like is Pleat is a good co commentator.

ITV should not have the FA Cup IMO because apart from the CL, I think they are appauling at hosting football.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old February 7 2009, 11:02 AM   #1285
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Oh I won't argue with any of that. ITV are truly awful. I seem to recall crying out in rage when they and Setanta got the FA Cup, especially because last year's competition was so awesome.

I think it's the sight, every week, of Townsend making a show of drawing his little electronic lines on his analysis computer that pisses me off the most. And the other thing about ITV does my head in is that they NEVER tell you who's on the bench!
Old February 7 2009, 11:30 AM   #1286
Jax
Admiral

Capello will name his 23 man squad to face Spain later today so who do you think he should pick ? Gerrard, Walcott, Owen, Defoe and J.Cole are all injured and personally I feel despite going back to RB for Man City in recent weeks, after his arrest I would not call him up. Rooney is expected to be in the UTD Squad after recovering quicker but Fabio will speak to Fergie first, personally I wouldn't bother.

MY 23 Man Squad

GK - James, Kirkland, Green
RB - G.Neville, L.Young
CB - Ferdinand (c), Terry, Upson, Lescott
LB - A.Cole, Bridge
RM - Beckham, Lennon
CM - Carrick, Lampard, Barry, Noble
LM - A.Young, Downing
FW - Heskey, Agbonlahor, Crouch, Bent

and I would start this XI...

James

G.Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, A.Cole

Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, A.Young

Heskey, Agbonlahor
Old February 7 2009, 11:40 AM   #1287
Hermiod
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Oh I won't argue with any of that. ITV are truly awful. I seem to recall crying out in rage when they and Setanta got the FA Cup, especially because last year's competition was so awesome.

I think it's the sight, every week, of Townsend making a show of drawing his little electronic lines on his analysis computer that pisses me off the most. And the other thing about ITV does my head in is that they NEVER tell you who's on the bench!
To be honest, Setanta are worse.

I can forgive the heavily biased commentary, the pundits in the studio who act all pally with one manager without giving equal time to the opposition, their glorification of "10 men behind the ball, let him know your there" football and the obvious contempt Craig Burley has towards Arsenal because I can just screen that out.

What I can't screen out is the fact that they keep cutting away from the ball! In the middle of passing moves they'll cut to the managers, the fans, close ups of individual players (especially the goalkeepers), the referee etc. I want to see the ball!!!
Old February 7 2009, 10:22 PM   #1288
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Plymouth 0 Derby 3

The rise of Gary Teale continues. After 2 assists against Coventry and two further assists against Forest, today he chips in with a goal AND another assist.

Clough's revolution continues....
Old February 8 2009, 04:12 PM   #1289
The Haunting
Admiral

At this rate expect Man City to sign Teale for 65million in the summer...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2009, 04:39 PM   #1290
StolenThunder
Poster

I see the Charlton game has been called off this afternoon. Interestingly, that actually increases their chances of winning a football match today, they're so bad.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote