RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 528
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 1 2009, 02:52 PM   #1051
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Hey its worth remembering that Davies bought in McEverly to replace Camera (who was actually part of our best defensive run if I recall!) but yeah, Oakley and Howard may end up at Forest.

Good point about Nigel, I think it could be a good gamble, I just really think Derby need a manager for a few years now rather than someone else we might have to replace too quickly. If he came in I think someone like Hutchings as his assistant would be a good idea!

Oh for another Jim Smith/Steve Mac partnership! Oh for another Burley!

Jewell, right man wrong time- if he'd joined us in the summer I think things would have run a lot better.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2009, 08:26 PM   #1052
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Well the transfer window is officially open again. I hate this time of year - it's almost unheard for Cardiff to survive any window without selling one of their best players. Ledley is being linked with Stoke apparently - I think he'd be insane to go there with the two teams being where they are right now.

So begins the month of nail-biting terror.
Old January 1 2009, 09:19 PM   #1053
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The figure I heard for Ledley from Stoke was £7m I think. They're mad paying out that kind of money when they'll most likely come back down in May. Besides, as you said, moving to Stoke is hardly a step up from Cardiff.

Re Clough and a possible assistant manager, let's bring in Peter Taylor. Clough/Taylor all over again, if that doesn't instill nostalgic-fueled optimism in the fans I don't know what would.

I think the problem that we have at the moment is that whoever comes in, they'll be on a short fuse with the fans. We've become that jaded now due to our experiences over the last 6/7 years that we almost assume the worst and shoot ourselves in the foot in every single situation.
Old January 3 2009, 05:38 PM   #1054
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Man City 0-3 Nottm Forest

If that's not new manager syndrome, I don't know what is. Thank you so much Forest.
Old January 3 2009, 05:47 PM   #1055
Jax
Admiral

All 3 strikers have scored and now the pressure has grown on Billy Davies because our Asst Mananger beat relegation rivals Norwich and just smashed Man City so Billy's 1st game against relegation rivals Charlton is a must win.
Old January 3 2009, 10:06 PM   #1056
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

You'll be alright under BD. The man has his faults, but his knowledge of how to fashion a successful Championship team isn't one of them.

4-3 against FGR, thank fcuk for that! Decent fightback, but conceding 3 goals against a non-league side?? FFS! Whoever comes in for us, they've got to look at the defence as a priority.
Old January 4 2009, 12:18 AM   #1057
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Nigel Clough should look at Paul Ince.

Had a good thing going in the lower leagues, making steady progress, then jumped too far up the league and crashed and burned.

Nigel Clough should stick with Burton.
Old January 4 2009, 03:05 AM   #1058
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I agree, until the end of the season, but only so that he can finish what he started at Burton. Even though I want a manager in asap, I'd still be somewhat disappointed to see him leave Burton on the cusp of achieving what they've been after for the last decade, league football.

That aside though, Clough's served his apprenticeship over the last ten years. Whether he's capable of stepping straight up from the Conference to the Championship is open to conjecture, however, it didn't do Martin O'Neil much harm when he went from Wycombe to Leicester. It does work sometimes.
Old January 4 2009, 05:25 PM   #1059
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Derby v Forest
Cardiff v Arsenal
Liverpool v Everton
Kettering Town v Fulham

What an amazing 4th round draw. I can't even remember the other fixtures any more. Just the thought of Arsenal coming to Ninian Park...
Old January 4 2009, 07:17 PM   #1060
Jax
Admiral

Time to give Derby a good spanking
Old January 4 2009, 08:44 PM   #1061
Hermiod
Admiral

Cardiff, eh ? Well, that's put off our annual FA Cup trip to Old Trafford for another round.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:07 PM   #1062
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Beckham with his new Milan teammates at Dubai.

Galacticos version 2.0

Two Ex-Gooners enjoying a laugh with Beckham and Il Capitano.

"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:12 PM   #1063
Hermiod
Admiral

^Senderos technically isn't an ex-Gooner yet.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:13 PM   #1064
Jax
Admiral

Its a pity he went to LA because Beckham could of been huge at a club like AC milan for several years.
Old January 4 2009, 09:40 PM   #1065
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Providing Attwell's not officiating, I don't really think we'll have too much trouble navigating ourselves into the fifth round

Good to get an early chance to fcuk over the poisoned dwarf though.....