TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old November 2 2008, 07:43 PM   #931
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Well the Derby/Forest game was pretty much as I expected it, I thought it'd be a scrappy affair and it was. Terrible ref though, not convinced about the sending off but for the life of me I cannot see why he disallowed our last minute goal. I realise I'm biased but I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. Very odd, still I'm satisfied with a point given we didn't play well.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2008, 12:09 PM   #932
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Stuart Attwell. C*nt. Simple as that.....

Every major decision he got wrong. McGugan's sending off should have been a yellow, the goal that was chalked off for them in the first half was actually onside (although the ball only went in the net because we'd stopped playing), Commons should have had a penalty, the penalty we did get wasn't one, he should have played the advantage anyway seeing as we scored (and the Forest players only stopped playing once the ball had hit the back of the net, despite what Calderwood said), and finally he chalked off one of the best goals from a corner that you're ever likely to see.....

Re Addison's second disallowed goal; was it pushing? No. Was there a handball? No. Did he chalk it off because he had the game down for a draw? Well, who's to say.....

By and large, an awful game, we weren't at the races at all, but having done 0-1 down, and then coming back into the game, when they went down to 10 men it was just a matter of whether we'd be able to put another one in before the final whistle. We did, twice, yet the useless Attwell ruled them both out for no great reason. He'd clearly lost control of the game towards the end, and throughout he gave the impression that he just wanted to take centre stage.

Respect to Paul Jewell, he held his nerve far more than I'd have been able to had it been me in his shoes. The whole debacle just makes a mockery of the FA's 'Respect for Referees' campaign. How can you respect them when they put in performances like that? This bloke's supposed to be the great hope for the Premier League? You're having a laugh, what with yesterday and the phantom goal for Reading, he shouldn't be refereeing pub games let alone games of magnitude. Telling that he refused to be interviewed after the game. As things stand, 20-odd hours later, AFAIK, there's STILL no one who actually knows why that goal was ruled out. PJ will probably get hauled over the coals for his post-match comments, but that'll be typical of the FA, penalise the offended rather than making the referees accept anykind of accountability whatsoever.

Great atmosphere at the game though. Banter throughout. Although you do have to question the logic of lone Forest supporters sitting in the Derby end One bloke started celebrating towards the back of the west stand when they scored, which resulted in about 10 big lads rapidly heading his way. Fortunately, for him, the stewards got to him first and ejected him.

Still, at least the BC Trophy stays where it belongs......
Old November 3 2008, 01:24 PM   #933
Starkers
Admiral

Some people are just mad. Even if you had managed to sneak into the wrong end, you'd keep your head down and wouldn't go mad when you scored!

Agreed it was terrible refereeing, although Jewell said he didn't think the push on Commons was a pentaly. Apparently the goal was disallowed for a push. I'm no so biassed that I wouldn't admit if I'd seen one but seriously I saw nothing wrong with the goal. Bit of hustle and bustle but there always is with a corner.

You could tell Jewell wanted to say a whole lot more than he did, I was proud of him for keeping schtum!

Old November 3 2008, 02:36 PM   #934
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I remember going to watch Derby at Stoke with a few Stoke mates and ended up going in their end. Must have looked odd when they scored. Think I was the only one not going mental. Of course when that goal was then disallowed, I kept my calm, displaying only a smug expression!

I don't think that there's any disputing the second Addison goal. Even Camp, and Calderwood have both admitted that they couldn't see anything wrong with it. Seeing the goal at the game, it looked good. Seeing it at home on Sky afterwards, it was a fantastic header, and absolutley no hint of a foul, be it a push, a handball or anything else.

I think that the corner was probably the first time where the Forest defenders had actually challenged. Most of the game, they just kept standing their ground.
Old November 3 2008, 02:45 PM   #935
Starkers
Admiral

I've taken friends to Derby games (Brighton and southend fan respectively) and neither drew attention to themselves...of course the fact that we won the games probably helped

Do wonder how things would have panned out if Hulse hadn't had to go off.

Old November 3 2008, 02:58 PM   #936
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The last time I remember an opposition fan in the wrong end was the season before last when a Hull fan was sitting there in the West Stand. Again, he celebrated when they scored. Didn't go down too well, but there wasn't murder in the eyes of the locals. Not like yesterday anyway!

I didn't really think that Hulse was having much of a game to be honest. I think it would have been more interesting had Barazite started instead of Teale.
Old November 3 2008, 06:16 PM   #937
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Still, at least the BC Trophy stays where it belongs......
What have FOREST got it back
Old November 3 2008, 10:09 PM   #938
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ That depends on whether or not hell has frozen over.....
Old November 3 2008, 10:24 PM   #939
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
^^ That depends on whether or not hell has frozen over.....
Its starting to get a little chilly
Old November 4 2008, 11:23 AM   #940
Starkers
Admiral

It'll need to get chillier...

I don't know why Teale is playing, surely we have someone else who can play right wing!!

Hulse would have given us an added aerial threat, and he is on goalscoring form at the moment.

Old November 4 2008, 11:44 AM   #941
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ He is, but he looked out of sorts on Sunday. By contrast, Villa looked good when he came on, and he certainly gave the defenders a hard time. Very unfortunate with the goal, and a bit fortunate with the equaliser, but the thing with Tito is that he just gets stuck in. He made some decent runs and to be honest, looked our most threatening striker.

Teale, I've no idea. Barazite looked far more effective in the second half. To be fair, I heard a lot of people bemoaning Teale's performance, and granted it wasn't particularly good, but at the very least it was better than we're used to from him. Marginally. As stated though, Barazite was far better when he replaced him, and WTF isn't Sterjovski featuring? Not even on the bench. Is he injured?

Mark, I'd be a little concerned if I were you. Possibly our worst performance of the season, yet we still scored three legitimate goals, and but for a truly woeful referee, we'd have won the game Earnie looked very poor for you. Lost count of the number of times where he was either clean through or one-on-one with the last defender. He managed to fluff every chance he got. Looks like he may be in the same kind of form for you as he was for us last year.
Old November 4 2008, 12:38 PM   #942
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

That could be a description of basically any game Earnshaw has played in over the last 3 years. He's awful. Has he even scored for Forest yet?
Old November 4 2008, 01:40 PM   #943
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ A couple of goals in the league and some more in the micky mouse cup I think.

In terms of the league, he's their top scorer with two. Explains why they're languishing near the basement.....
Old November 4 2008, 01:47 PM   #944
Starkers
Admiral

5 goals, 3 of those in the league cup, he has been injured for a while though.

I don't think he was a bad signing for them, he can and will score goals in the CCC, but they did seem to blow most of their budget on him at the expense of the rest of the team. I think we got the better end of the deal getting Commons for free to be honest!!

Earnie is a luxury player, you don't need that in a relegation struggle.

I wish we were scoring more goals to be honest. Tito works hard, but doesn't seem to have the killer instinct, he's only got 2 goals this season so far. Then again Ellington has 4 but three of those were in the cup and the same game! He is a class player though and I think he will score goals, just needs a bit of luck.

Old November 4 2008, 03:04 PM   #945
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Problem with Tito, and Ellington, is that we have essentially three strikers vying for two spots. Hulse seems to be the one who'll get picked every game and then Duke and Tito rotate.

Personally, I think given a prolongued run in the side, Tito could be our best striker.