Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 14 2008, 12:44 PM   #871
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post

I have said for years that Chris Kirkland has the best techinal ability of all our current ENG players but can never keep fit, which is so weird and unusual for a keeper to have so many injuries. If he had more luck I think his ability would of taken him to a top 6 club easily and he would be ENG number 1.

My only issue with him is that with his injury record that making him number 1 could be a waste and we might be better off working on Hart and Foster if his current injury proves to just be a one off.
He's proved himself to be injury free for over a year now. He missed just one game last season - fewer than David James.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 02:47 PM   #872
Hermiod
Admiral

Uh-oh... Liverpool have been wronged! Sound the alarm! Prepare the boycotts! Ready the SMS' to Sky Sports News! Print the banners to wave!

Protest outside Anfield at 8pm, everyone!
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 04:11 PM   #873
Roger Wilco
Admiral

You are being sarcastic, but imo they are very legitimately angry. You can't cancel travel accomodations and hotel rooms at such a short notice without cost.
Old October 14 2008, 04:13 PM   #874
Hermiod
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
You are being sarcastic, but imo they are very legitimately angry. You can't cancel travel accomodations and hotel rooms at such a short notice without cost.
Of course I'm being sarcastic. It doesn't take much to get that sort of behaviour out of them, though.

Here's one - Steven Gerrard isn't England's best midfielder and sometimes the free kicks he earns are less than legitimate.

/waits five minutes...
Old October 14 2008, 04:16 PM   #875
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yeah, Liverpool-fans are quite fond of themselves, aren't they?
Old October 15 2008, 11:04 AM   #876
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Uh-oh... Liverpool have been wronged! Sound the alarm! Prepare the boycotts! Ready the SMS' to Sky Sports News! Print the banners to wave!

To be fair, if you've spent hundreds of quid as recession looms, only for UEFA to change the location of the game at short notice, you'd be pissed off too. No one is talking about marches or protests or marches, save for an Arsenal fan on a Star Trek forum.
Old October 15 2008, 11:40 AM   #877
Jax
Admiral

ENG tonight and a selection worry for Capello, if I was Fabio this would be my line up...

James

Brown, Ferdinand, Upson, Lescott

Beckham, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard

Heskey, Rooney

The only reason I would put Gerrard on the left is because he was foolish enough to not call up Ashley Young and Beckham starts because I feel we need to start a little bit strong defensively and that Walcott will have a bigger impact as a half time/2nd half sub. Also I feel Heskey will have a great chance of goals and generally play better with Beckham's passing.

My prediction is however Fabio will play Walcott and Gerrard on the flanks with Bridge at left back (serious problem) but we will win 2-1 (Rooney & Lampard)
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 11:45 AM   #878
Hermiod
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
To be fair, if you've spent hundreds of quid as recession looms, only for UEFA to change the location of the game at short notice, you'd be pissed off too. No one is talking about marches or protests or marches, save for an Arsenal fan on a Star Trek forum.
I was kidding. My actual response is that the game should be moved to Anfield and the put out fans taken to the game at Atletico's expense.
Old October 15 2008, 12:25 PM   #879
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Atleti are appealing, so it might yet stay at the Calderon. It's right to do something about violence and racism, but if they can do it in Marseille, I shouldn't think Valencia will be much of an impediment. Two sets of fans in a neutral venue? That's not exactly a match made in heaven. UEFA are at least talking about organising travel to the new venue, which is something.
Old October 15 2008, 02:05 PM   #880
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Venue changing is a bit drastic. I'm surprised that they haven't just hit them where it hurts and given them a 10p fine like Croatia......
Old October 15 2008, 04:55 PM   #881
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahaaha that's made my day. I do feel sorry for the innocent Liverpool fans though - they have been royally screwed by this. It's Torres' reunion game as well, isn't it? Typical that when UEFA finally do something vaguely like punishment for racism, it's completely inappropriate *sigh*

How exactly do England have a selection problem? Cole for Bridge is the only change needed and it makes itself anyway. You want selection problems, follow the Welsh national side

Well done to both U21 teams by the way - two brilliant matches. Either would have been a worthy contender at the finals, genuine pity one of them had to lose. Pearce is right - the qualifying for U21 tournaments is probably the hardest around.
Old October 15 2008, 09:31 PM   #882
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Doesn't look like Nando will be able to play even it the appeal is successful. He's come off injured for Spain. I hate internationals!

Incidentally, why did I say marches twice? That's odd.
Old October 15 2008, 09:40 PM   #883
Jax
Admiral

3-1 Rooney double (5 goals in this Q/F so far and 7 goals in his last 6 competitive games, which takes his ENG total to 19).

Gerrard played better than Lamps this time just wait till J.Cole returns we won't know who to play though maybe Gerrard on the right since Walcott has failed to shine in the last two outings.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old October 16 2008, 12:44 PM   #884
Jax
Admiral

Player ratings IMO...

James (7) - Made several smart saves in the 1st half though was untroubled for most of the 2nd half. Thought he could of come off his line for the first goal to get to the cross or put the striker under pressure and still made one of his usual flaps in 1st half by coming out of his net and not getting the ball.

Brown (6) - Decent at the back though not his best game and has not struck a partnership with Walcott and I would prefer Richards when he is fit. However has done enough to keep G.Neville out of the team for the foreseeable future.

Ferdinand (7) - Solid again both at the back and coming forward for the most parts however clearly he prefers Terry at the back with him than Upson or anyone else.

Upson (6) - Gave away two silly early fouls with pushing but got better as the game went on but for me a fully fit King, Lescott and Terry are better options.

Bridge (7) - Impressed and proved doubters like me wrong for this occasion. Apart from the goal he was solid at the back and much better going forward but still A.Cole is the better option and Bridge needs to leabe Chelsea still.

Walcott (6) - Two early dangerous crosses from him was is highlight of the night and has not settled in the squad since his hatrick.

Barry (6) - 1st half he looked shaky and did not command the midfield like Hargreaves can but improved in the 2nd half.

Lampard (6) - Virtually the same as Barry though I thought his passing was his trong point tonight and even got stuck into a few tackles.

Gerrard (7) - A great goal but his 1st half display was very indifferent due to leaving the wing and getting in Barry/Lampard way but a much better 2nd half display and worked well with Rooney and should of scored a 2nd. Still needs to work on passing game because am seeing one too many misplaced stuff unlike Lampard.

Heskey (7) - Worked hard all night and rode some very rough tackles but did what he put there to do and helped Rooney scored a goal with a great run down the wing followed by a sweet cross.

Rooney (8) - Easily man of the match and was particular superb in the 2nd half with 2 goals but wonderful finishes and now 19 ENG goals sound so much better than the 15 he was on back in September.

All subs N/A - did not really impact the game in any way.
Old October 16 2008, 01:18 PM   #885
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Derby and Norwich are victims of allegations of match-fixing.

Surely Derby's sudden ability to win isn't THAT suspicious?