To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 17 2008, 12:46 PM   #781
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Starkers wrote: View Post
Question is; if you were Nigel Clough would you really want the pressure that would come with managing either Derby of forest? However good a manager he is/becomes he isn't likely to be able to replicate anything near the successes his father achieved with clubs our size. Leicester's only hope of getting on the footballing map would have been to hang onto Martin O'Neil. As for Earnshaw, yeah I feel he should have got more of a try last season. Dunno what his problem is (heard many different rumours) but for Billy D, Paul Jewell and Toshack to all basically ignore him must mean something. He will score goals at championship level though- so I expect he'll score against us come November (luckily Commons' hat trick will more than compensate )
I tend to agree. Young Nigel's got it pretty sweet at Burton. That particular challenge allows him to enjoy both the professional side and the family side in a healthily balanced manner. He probably wouldn't have that at a league club, particularly in the higher echelons. I know that when the Derby job and Forest job have come up in the past he's never gone out of his way to be linked with them, and I'm sure on occasion he's stated a preference that he didn't want them (at least not at the time). Sounds to me like someone who knows exactly where there personal priorities lie and doesn't want to sacrifice certain things. Fair play to him IMO.

Would I want him at Derby? Honestly, joking aside, don't really know. Don't really care that he played for Forest, it would be the experience that would put me off initially I think. Let's be fair, if we were looking for another manager, would we be happy at being linked with any other non-league manager? I'd wager not. Obviously decent managers can work their way up the ranks though, didn't Martin O'Neil start with Wycombe in the conference?

Re Earnshaw, I think you're spot-on. Personally, I think he's got bags of talent, and will undoubtedly score goals in the CCC, but the fact that PJ, BD and JT have all had concerns over him, to me, says there's something wrong somewhere.

I've heard that we'll be looking to showboat against Forest in November. PJ's apparently said that he'll be recalling Camara to play at LB and with Teale now back at PPS, he'll line up on the right wing. We're just looking into special dispensation to bring Eddie Lewis back for one game on the left wing and we're all sorted. Effectively we'd be playing with 8 men, but that's probably still more than enough to beat the red dogs!
Old September 17 2008, 02:43 PM   #782
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
The ref didn't send him off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. That has nothing to do with it. Terry tried to slice him down with his foot; which Jo evaded. Then Terry put his arm around Jo's waist and pulled him down. No attempt to play the ball at all. Just another instance of Terry (And Chelsea in general) thinking they can get away with anything.
Exactly, violent conduct doesn't just mean stamping on someone, but using the arms in a challenge. He dragged Jo down - that's just not allowed. The FA are sending out the message that this is acceptable.
Old September 17 2008, 03:02 PM   #783
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Well, not only was the card rescinded, Mark Halsey was banished to refereeing a League Two game this weekend. Not sure what to make of that.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2008, 05:33 PM   #784
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Well I for one completely support the FA's decision.

Garak, biased
Old September 17 2008, 05:44 PM   #785
Jax
Admiral

Not spoken on this yet but....

The FA are idiots, Terry fouled someone with 100% intent and not even with his legs, the idiot dragged him down...FFS you get a yellow card for taking your shirt off and this gets nothing from FA.

This is the reason I have no respect for the FA and why I don't want Terry as ENG captain, yes all defenders even Rio foul but I've never seen Rio try to hump someones leg on a Saturday Afternoon
Old September 18 2008, 09:36 AM   #786
Hermiod
Admiral

^Not during the season, anyway.

We got lucky last night. We were solid enough at the back but there was no bite to our attack. Adebayor, RvP and Theo looked half asleep and we barely saw anything out of Fabregas. Gallas has a habit of bailing us out at vital moments.

I like this idea if West Ham can't find a paying sponsor:
West Ham fans have started a petition to get the Bobby Moore cancer fund logo on their sponsor-free shirts after the collapse of travel company XL. (The Times)
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 04:26 PM   #787
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

The penalty against Sagna was a bit harsh, so I feel it was a fair outcome all said. It was always going to be a tricky fixture as Arsenal seem a bit cursed when they venture to that part of the world. Even so, if that's all the attack Kiev could muster at home, I have no worries about the return leg.

I was more surprised by United's inability to get the full points against Villarreal. In fact, with a flick (I forgot who took the shot) that hit the inside of the post and bounced out, they were lucky not to lose. Pires did some nice work, but is clearly not the player he was at Arsenal. But he was still Arsenal as far as Old Trafford were concerned, they booed his every touch.

The bad news is Show Pony doesn't look too far off the pace - and based on an ovation given to him for just warming up, the fans still support him - so United's recent form looks to be turned around soon.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old September 18 2008, 06:26 PM   #788
Jax
Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
The penalty against Sagna was a bit harsh, so I feel it was a fair outcome all said. It was always going to be a tricky fixture as Arsenal seem a bit cursed when they venture to that part of the world. Even so, if that's all the attack Kiev could muster at home, I have no worries about the return leg.

I was more surprised by United's inability to get the full points against Villarreal. In fact, with a flick (I forgot who took the shot) that hit the inside of the post and bounced out, they were lucky not to lose.
That was Villarreal only real shot so Utd deserved to win since they had complete control of the game and hit the post with Evans and Tevez had his shot cleared off the line.
Old September 18 2008, 06:37 PM   #789
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I hope you're not expecting me to look at a United game with anything like an unbiased eye?

Old September 19 2008, 09:25 AM   #790
Hermiod
Admiral

Two important bits of Arsenal news.

Arsenal have announced pre-tax profits of £36.7m for the financial year, a record up from £26.9m last year.

In addition, Stan Kroenke has been appointed to the Board of Directors.
Old September 21 2008, 08:54 PM   #791
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Scummer got thrashed 6-0 today

And wtf was that in the Watford/Reading game yesterday - a goal was given when the ball bounced half a yard outside the post.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 07:16 AM   #792
Hermiod
Admiral

Thanks to our friends at Netresult, I can't find any video of that to post. It was absolutely bizarre, though. It clearly didn't go in. Only one man in that stadium thought it was a goal.

In other news, the mighty Arsenal are back where they belong - top of the league with a nice 3-1 win over the dirty set piece merchants from the North.
Old September 22 2008, 07:33 AM   #793
StolenThunder
Poster

Here's a currently working link.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 01:44 PM   #794
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

A couple of points on the Reading 'goal';

The lino says that it was an optical illusion and that due to his positioning it looked as though the ball had crossed the line for a goal. Even if that allows for the 'half a yard past the post' bit, the replays yesterday showed that the ball wasn't even close to crossing the line anyway, whether for a goalkick/corner/goal/whatever.....

Second point, a lot of the media seems to be admonishing the lino and overlooking the fact that the ref was much closer, "he was dependent on the linesman". Why? He was much closer, and had a far better angle. From where he was standing there was no way on earth he couldn't have seen that the ball didn't go in the goal.

One of the most bizarre 'goals' you're ever likely to see. Bad luck for John Eustace, he's been credited with an own-goal for it!
Old September 22 2008, 06:06 PM   #795
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I just think it's a shame that yet again after a week of great football from the Prem, CL, Uefa Cup and the rest of the League, the attention is focussed yet again on sodding referees or their assistants.

It happens every time...

...but it's not quite as inevitable as the managerial merry-go-round. Another two managers gone today (Colchester and Port Vale) and Kenny Dalgliesh is being linked with Newcastle.