Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 1 2008, 04:36 PM   #616
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I can't believe Corluka has gone to Spurs. Yesterday was his last clean sheet for a while.

This Berbatov thing has been tedious all summer... until today. This Man City bid makes it genuinely interesting. Deadline day could so easily have been crap as usual but now... It's going to be a looooooooong hours...

And the breaking news is that Voronin has gone on loan to Hertha Berlin! Liverpool fans rejoice!!

Last edited by HappyDayRiot; September 1 2008 at 04:48 PM.
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 04:56 PM   #617
Jax
Admiral

Looks like Berbatov have snubbed Man City because he is currently holding talks with Man Utd who must have risen there price to £30 million. Though am wondering if MAN UTD is a mis print on the Sky Sports website, will have to take a further looks on the story.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 05:28 PM   #618
Hermiod
Admiral

Real Madrid have put in a £36.5m bid for Berbatov according to Sky Sports News.

To top that, Manchester City have lodged bids for David Villa (who only signed a new five year contract three days ago) and Mario Gomes.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 05:34 PM   #619
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

City's new owners seem to think they're Real! Rubbish all of it - I truly believe he's going to go to the red side of Manchester.
Old September 1 2008, 05:40 PM   #620
Hermiod
Admiral

^Daniel Levy says that only City have permission to talk to Berbatov. No bid from Manchester United has been accepted and they do not have permission to talk to the player, even though they clearly have since Sky Sports News has seen Berbatov at the United training ground being given a tour personally by Sir Alex.
Old September 1 2008, 05:49 PM   #621
Hermiod
Admiral

A "top ten" Premier League club has made a bid for Joey Barton!
Old September 1 2008, 06:39 PM   #622
Jax
Admiral

Berbatov is going to Utd, I have no doubt for that and Man City will NOT get David Villa but I think they could stand a 50/50 chance of getting Gomes.

Most likely Man City will buy some striker though what about OWEN, I do believe he will get over his injury worries and if he can score a goal every 2 games for Newcastle then bloody hell, he would do great at Man City with the likes of...

SWP, Ireland, Hamman, Johnson, Kompany, Elano & Petrov in there midfield supplying him the chances.

breaking news...

Manchester City have now made a bid for Real Madrid striker Robinho
who next ?
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old September 1 2008, 07:51 PM   #623
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

They can have Gomes - he's nowhere near as good as a lot of people are claiming him to be. Did no one see him at Euro 2008!?

Man City have gone mad with power! They'll be bidding for Jesus at this rate...

And at 1953, the only teams I still haven't heard a single rumour about Wigan or the Arsenal. Surely, surely, Arsenal are going to go for someone?
Old September 2 2008, 08:14 AM   #624
Hermiod
Admiral

Well, I am not a happy Asgard this morning. Arsenal did no business last night except agree new contracts with a couple of our youngsters (Kieron Gibbs and Mark Randall). I can only pray that Arsene has something up his sleeve for January.

Manchester City signing Robinho is a joke.

I can only think that Manchester United managed to pull off the Berbatov deal and stop any angry complaints from Spurs by offerring them Frazier Campbell on loan. Campbell is going to be valuable to United in the years to come if UEFA bring in rules about homegrown players. United's academy has not been bringing through the talent quite as frequently as it used to.
Old September 2 2008, 11:30 AM   #625
Jax
Admiral

The guy behind Man City is 10 times richer than Roman so the PL balance has once again been ruined. Big owners like Glazers, Levy & Randy dude from Villa, while rich are nowhere near the likes of Roman and now the Man City dude so I didn't mind too much but now its really getting stupid.
Old September 2 2008, 11:41 AM   #626
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^
You reap what you sow.
Old September 2 2008, 11:44 AM   #627
Hermiod
Admiral

People can call me disloyal or a fair weather fan or whatever, but it's days like this where I start to think "f*** it". This game has gotten stupid. I used to be completely against capping anything, salaries, transfer fees, ticket prices etc. Now, I think all these people just rushing in, buying up Premier League clubs has gone too far.

I'm starting to think I would be better off supporting Dagenham and Redbridge.
Old September 2 2008, 12:04 PM   #628
Jax
Admiral

At this rate by the time Nottingham Forest get back in the PL, you will need a multi billionaire just to finish 19th

This is why I love international football so much because no owners just players and which is why I get so annoyed easily by England because this for me is the best football cna get with the highest quality of football being played and we just seem to be getting worse ever since 2006.
Old September 2 2008, 01:26 PM   #629
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Officially the Best Deadline Day Ever.

But now the panic sets in. Chelsea was bad enough, a cup team of also-rans transformed overnight (well, after a year) into title champions because a Russian gazillionaire fancied playing Champ Manager in real life. Now Man City, perpetual yo-yo team, likeable but ultimately pathetic, are the richest club in the world.

Down in the Championship, QPR have the funds to do the same, as long as Ian Dowie can navigate his way to the promised land.

What next?

The league had already become a two horse race, and now the message is that unless you are owned by foreign oil magnates, you don't have a chance at the big prize.

But fans are fickle and hypocritical. I know if tomorrow DIC came in and finally bought Liverpool, pumping in millions, I'd be chuffed to bits.

Ultimately football has become a victim of its own success. Until it is no longer a source of money and prestige for wealthy businessmen, this billion pound madness will only continue.
Old September 2 2008, 01:40 PM   #630
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm sorry, but hearing an Arsenal- and a Liverpool-supporter complaining about the sellout of football is simply hilarious.