Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 27 2008, 10:31 PM   #556
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Looks like renowned Dutch coach Staaf VanClaren's team is out. Didn't see it, but from the audio feed from the Arsenal site sounded like easy work.

Pool still struggling.

Edit: and at the very second I type that ...

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 10:56 PM   #557
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I've seen teams win undeservedly before, but tonight takes the ****ing cake. Poor Belgiums. Played Liverpool off the field for nearly 210 minutes and lost. Sickening.

And Arsenal sounded like easy work? I assure you, if RVP remembered how to shoot and Walcott and Bendtner were any good, it would have been 12, not 4. Twente didn't have a credible attack all game, and the left back was as useful, as said by Lawrenson, as Nickelback.
Old August 28 2008, 12:58 AM   #558
Jax
Admiral

ENG are in more trouble...

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is set to miss England's upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers after being booked in for groin surgery.
With Hargreaves a doubt, we could be left with Barry/Lampard starting but those two struggle together. We might as well forefit the Croatia game at this rate
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 07:41 AM   #559
Hermiod
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
And Arsenal sounded like easy work? I assure you, if RVP remembered how to shoot and Walcott and Bendtner were any good, it would have been 12, not 4. Twente didn't have a credible attack all game, and the left back was as useful, as said by Lawrenson, as Nickelback.
Bendtner was superb as the big man striker. They kept trying to use him as a playmaker which he can't do. I like the guy a lot. He just needs to work on his close control but he's young and he'll learn.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 11:48 AM   #560
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
ENG are in more trouble...

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is set to miss England's upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers after being booked in for groin surgery.
With Hargreaves a doubt, we could be left with Barry/Lampard starting but those two struggle together. We might as well forefit the Croatia game at this rate
Naturally, the op is timed to ensure he misses as little league as possible. Hopefully by the time he gets back they'll have lost to Villa and United and Benitez will be gone.
Old August 28 2008, 01:18 PM   #561
Jax
Admiral

^ Liverpool need a new manager and a new board...

If only wishes came true . Also is it me or is Rafa playing Keane out of position ? Should of stayed at Spurs.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old August 28 2008, 02:01 PM   #562
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Rafael Benitez playing someone out of position!? The only player he plays in position and for more than 3 games in a row is his goalkeeper!

Actually maybe he needs to start rotating again. Can't get any worse than the current line-up can it?

Also, why on earth did Mascherano not play? Sergio Aguero was part of the Olympic team too, and he played for Atletico and was absolutely fine!
Old August 28 2008, 02:31 PM   #563
Hermiod
Admiral

Shaun Wright-Phillips has re-signed for Manchester City.
Old August 28 2008, 02:36 PM   #564
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

They will win the CL again this year and everyone will be happy. Next year will again be their year in the premier league.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 02:41 PM   #565
Hermiod
Admiral

^They say that every year.

They've got everything going for them. A huge fanbase, billionaire owners, a good manager, their best players are loyal, Champions League football bringing in the money, a massive squad and not such a bad injury list. They have no excuses for going getting on for twenty years without a league title.

As a fan of a club that's going to be skint for the next 17 years, has to make do with kids, sells its best players every summer and still manages to compete, I am not going to feel all that sympathetic to their plight.
Old August 28 2008, 03:21 PM   #566
Jax
Admiral

billionaire owners
This is the biggest problem because they don't seem very rich, god knows what buying Liverpool did to there account balance

some major news today...

SWP has signed for Man City today after leaving the club in 2005.
Old August 28 2008, 05:51 PM   #567
Hermiod
Admiral

Champions League Draw:

Group A: CHELSEA, AS Roma, Bordeaux, Cluj
Group B: Inter, Werder, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis
Group C: Barcelona, Sporting, FC Basel, Shakhtar
Group D: LIVERPOOL, PSV, Marseille, Atletico
Group E: MAN UTD, Villarreal, CELTIC, Aalborg
Group F: Lyon, Bayern, Steaua, Fiorentina
Group G: ARSENAL, FC Porto, Fenerbahce, Dinamo Kiev
Group H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit, Bate

Torres is going home.
Old August 28 2008, 06:54 PM   #568
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Real and Juve in the same group. Those games should be fun.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 12:20 AM   #569
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Well, it's soon to be announced that they are shelving plans for a new stadium, so the ownership bullshit is going to start up again. With no stadium, Hicks will hopefully decide to sell. The Dubai group are still very much interested.

This could be the reason they didn't sanction the Barry deal, as it would have required another loan.

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Rafael Benitez playing someone out of position!? The only player he plays in position and for more than 3 games in a row is his goalkeeper!

Actually maybe he needs to start rotating again. Can't get any worse than the current line-up can it?
We are fucking abysmal at the moment, but fortunately we're scraping through with results. Basically the wings are shit, and the midfield doesn't work. The fullbacks weren't giving enough either. Other than that, we're brilliant. We should be signing a winger soon, Mascherano will be back to run midfield, and Gerrard can push forward. Well, after he's recovered.

Also, why on earth did Mascherano not play? Sergio Aguero was part of the Olympic team too, and he played for Atletico and was absolutely fine!
Masch wasn't registered in the CL squad because we have too many foreign players for the UEFA quota (which is another reason Rafa wanted Barry and Keane), and the squad was still in flux at the time. He'll be in for the group stages without a doubt.

I'm reasonably happy with the CL draw (and I'm delighted we're in it at all!) - Marseille and PSV have both been on the recieving end of some thrashings in the last couple of years, and Atleti are very beatable. They were outfoxed by Gery Megson last season. Will be interesting to see how Torres performs against his old club, and great to see Luis Garcia back at Anfield.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 10:50 AM   #570
Jax
Admiral

ENG U21 squad has been picked and Micah Richards is in so he won't play in the senior team WC Q/F's. Also Fergie has said Hargreaves will not be match fit for ENG even though he is due to play a part in Utd next 2 games so thats total B.S...

We have no one left with Gerrard & Carrick injured leaving us with 3 recognised central midfielders in Lampard, Barry & Jenas so that means if Hargreaves can run and kick a ball, he is going.

For the 1st time ever I will call on a ENG defeat in a major competitve game, such proves just low my confidence is for ENG, capello was never my 1st choice, I wanted...

Mourinho, O Neill or Big Phil.

ENG to beat Andorra but lose 2-0 to Croatia.