Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 18 2012, 01:01 PM   #4291
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

So I see Leicester City are deciding to be more sensible with their money this season...by spending up to £1.7 million on a 25 year old non-league striker!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 01:08 PM   #4292
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Well they'd best hurry up, seeing as Championship clubs have agreed to adopt the FFP rules. They're not going to get away with this $h1t for much longer.....
Old May 19 2012, 12:48 PM   #4293
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Cardiff also bid £1m for him. I'm slightly relieved Leicester were there to turn his head with undoubtedly better terms and bigger wages than we could offer. £1m for a one-season wonder from the Conference!? He might well be brilliant but really!?

Football will eat itself sooner rather than later at this rate!
Old May 19 2012, 10:32 PM   #4294
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Chelsea are the motherfucking luckiest motherfuckers in the history of the sport.

But hats off, I sincerely enjoyed the pictures of the devastated Bayern players and fans.
Old May 19 2012, 10:38 PM   #4295
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Felt sorry for Munich, they were the better side for most of that game.

But, congratulations to Chelsea, they just will not die!

Roberto Di Matteo - how can they NOT give him the job now!?!?!?!?!?
Old May 19 2012, 10:42 PM   #4296
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

1999 and this. Bayern must go down as the greatest Champions League bottlers of all time.

John Terry running around in his kit as though he scored a last minute winner >: (
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 10:53 PM   #4297
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Chelsea win a penalty shootout against a German team, in a German stadium, full of German fans. LOFL.
Old May 19 2012, 10:55 PM   #4298
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Seriously, how the fook has Mario Gomez got 40 goals this season?

Bayern must have THE greatest midfield in world football. How many chances did they create for him during the season? 10,000?
Old May 19 2012, 11:04 PM   #4299
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Felt sorry for Munich, they were the better side for most of that game.

But, congratulations to Chelsea, they just will not die!

Roberto Di Matteo - how can they NOT give him the job now!?!?!?!?!?
Honestly if that's all Di Matteo is capable of then i feel sorry for Chelsea.. they didn't deserve that win much like Otto Rehagel didn't deserve to win the European championship with Greece by using the same tactics (and later one didn't win anything of note).

I'm no fan of Bayern München at all.. i think their business leaders (not the players) are arrogant as hell.. openly trolling others when they are on a good standing during the season and reacting like spoiled children when they fuck up their games.

However in this case i really wished them to win.. it is history to win this prestigious finale in your own city, in your own stadium but fate decided otherwise. They were the better team throughout the entire game unlike last week where they played a german football association final and lost deservedly 5:2 while players from Munich stated they were the better team .

I don't subscribe to England's penalty curse.. penalties are about nerves of steel and luck.. skill they all have when they play in the team and they've trained countless times how to shoot a ball so i rule that out.

München had it twice in their own hands to take the cup home.. after they scored the 1:0 finally in the late stage of the game only to get the equalizer in the final stages and then when a player missed a penalty in the extension of the game.

The backlash over the coming days and weeks here in Germany will be huge.. colleagues of mine have put a party together and were really fired up about the game. Monday will be interesting in the office.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 11:20 PM   #4300
Relayer1
Commodore

A great season for Fergie - Chelsea Double, City League, Liverpool Carling, Arsenal Golden Boot. United ? Charity Shield...
Old May 19 2012, 11:21 PM   #4301
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Considering where Chelsea were 3 months ago, and what RDM has managed to achieve with the same players since then, I think he deserves a lot of credit. He's worked with what he inherited. AVB couldn't do it - Chelsea were in a mess - slipping down the league, facing a dodgy FA cup replay away from home, and just beaten 3-1 in Napoli in the Champions League.

Since then they've narrowly missed out on 4th place in the Premier League, only falling away in the final few games, they've won the FA Cup and now the Champions League after knocking out the mighty Barcelona, and Bayern in their own stadium.

They were very negative tonight, but considering that half of their team was suspended, and they were playing a very, very good side on their own pitch, with 3/4 of the fans shouting the other team on, they did what they had to.

In truth it wouldn't have bothered me who won tonight as I like Bayern, I like the football they play, and I like the players they have in their squad. That being said, they were far too wasteful, Chelsea were their usual clinical self, and when push came to shove, they held their nerve far better than Bayern did. 0-1 down with a few minutes to go, faced a penalty to go behind again, and went 0-1 in the penalty shootout.

Presuming that RDM gets the job now, he'll be allowed to mould the squad, something he's not had the opportunity to do yet. If he can do this with AVB's squad, then it'll be interesting to see what he can do when he gets the players he wants in.
Old May 19 2012, 11:27 PM   #4302
Jax
Admiral

Bayern may of been the better team but if you can't put away your chances you don't deserve to win, RDM has done a great job with a limited ageing squad and warrants it on a full time basis.
Old May 20 2012, 08:29 AM   #4303
Roger Wilco
Admiral

The best you can say about the way Chelsea played last night was that they won. I'd just leave it at that. Not too long ago I think the English press would have teared up Chelsea for playing such a cowardly, destructive football, but whatever. Hopefully it's not the future of the sport.
Old May 20 2012, 12:00 PM   #4304
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I would imagine that Chelsea see little cause to change the way that they approached the games against Barcelona or Bayern. They were obviously confident of exploiting the weaker defenses of their opponents. Until the likes of Barcelona or Bayern learn to defend better then the likes of Chelsea, who are defensively strong, and don't need many chances to score themselves, will probably continue to pick them off.
Old May 20 2012, 12:51 PM   #4305
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I would imagine that Chelsea see little cause to change the way that they approached the games against Barcelona or Bayern. They were obviously confident of exploiting the weaker defenses of their opponents. Until the likes of Barcelona or Bayern learn to defend better then the likes of Chelsea, who are defensively strong, and don't need many chances to score themselves, will probably continue to pick them off.
I hate it when you get managers saying oh well they just sat back, Chelsea absorbed so much pressure against Barca/Bayern and scored goals with few chances show that these other teams need to learn how to defend better. I think if Chelsea had a full strength team they may of been a little more forward but Chelsea have never been an attacking side...

Bayern also won the title in the same manner in 2001