Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 1 2012, 06:10 PM   #4111
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Looking at the possible ENG Players in contention (GK's & DEF's)...

Hart - Great shot stopper & Excellent at 1 on 1's but his catching and parrying away shots from danger needs to improve.

Richards - Needs more time to get used to this level of football again but he is good enough

Walker - Probably will start EURO 2012 over Richards simply due to his attacking abilites, ENG need all the help down the width we canget.

G.Johnson - Decent going forward and has the experience but he must be the most easily bypassed right back at times.

A.Cole - Not what we was but easily our best left back

Baines - He looked good against Sweden but was shaky against Holland. He's good but needs to have the confidence n more caps to gain the experience.

Gibbs - Very little chance due to injuries

Jones - Should start as while he may being a little raw at times his talent is in little doubt. Also provides much needed pace at the back.

Cahill - Will go and probably start but you have to ask yourself is he really good enough to start a major tournament

Jagielka - I feel he should go and potentially should partner Jones. Pretty quick for an 30 year old who impressed against Spain/Sweden during his last round of games.

Dawson - Probably won't go but I would take him as cover. Despite having the annoying proneness of being turned/wrong footed he is very strong in the air and again provides much needed pace. Plus has CL/EL experience more than Jones/Cahill/Jagks & Lescott.

Terry - 50/50 to go but I won't take him due to a poor season on he pitch and a dreadful one off the pitch. He's like a one man circus for the media to feed on.

Lescott - May sneak in despite being prone to virtually sleeping on the pitch at times. Not good enough despite IMO.

Smalling - Needs more time to develop, not as good as Jones and we should not take two heavily inexperience defenders at the start of their footballing careers.

Will post my opinion about Midfield later...
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 07:53 PM   #4112
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

My 25:

GKs

Hart, Carson, Foster (if he can be lured out of sabbatical), Green if not

Defence

Walker, Kelly, A Cole, Gibbs, Jones, Lescott, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield

Gerrard, Barry, Johnson, Walcott, Young, Parker, Wilshere or Cleverley (if Wilshere not fit), Downing, Milner

Strikers

Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe, Carroll, Rooney

Positions & Cover

GK - Hart, Carson, Foster(or Green)
DR - Walker, Kelly, Jones
DL - A Cole, Gibbs
DC - Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Lescott
MR - Walcott, Milner, Downing, Gerrard
ML - Young, Downing, Johnson
MC - Wilshere (or Cleverley), Gerrard, Parker, Barry
STR - Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe, Rooney, Carroll, Walcott, Young

Captain - Parker
Vice Captain - Cahill

Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Baines, Lampard - thanks very much but no thanks

Still leaves Rodwell, Carrick and Fraizer Campbell with the possibility of making a late claim for inclusion
Old March 2 2012, 12:42 AM   #4113
Jax
Admiral

(Carrying on from my last post)

Lennon - His pace would give ENG much needed pace to break in attacks but the problem is ENG don't play like Spurs leading to his form being in-consistant. Will go

Young - His goal record for ENG over the last 12 months has been impressive but still needs to step it up a gear. Clearly hates it when managers force him to play in the middle instead of drifting off the wing at his choice of timing. Will go and start.

Downing - Tries hard bless him but is not and never will be good enough for a major finals. Slow to cross and is easily tackled when trying to attack the fullbacks. Still will probably go though.

Chamberlain - Still to play but impressive for U21's and you know he may be the raw player we need to just throw in like Rooney at 2004 and Owen at 98. Probably won't go to the finals.

A.Johnson - Needs to play more for City but clearly is our next Joe Cole but his work rate is suspect at times. 50/50 to go.

Walcott - Not a winger unless injuries force him to play there or a super sub for 10-20 minutes IMO. Really should be playing up front on the shoulder of the last defender looking to run into the space. Electric pace and his finishing in the box is very very good pity hes never actually in those positions enough. 50/50 to go I feel due to his average ENG displays.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old March 2 2012, 09:37 AM   #4114
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yes, Oxlade-Chamberlain is a must.

I wonder if we'll sacrifice a striker to take him. Wouldn't surprise me if we do. Walcott or Young could conceivably play a more forward role if absolutely necessary.
Old March 4 2012, 02:43 PM   #4115
Jax
Admiral

Reports coming in that AVB has been sacked by Chelsea, not surprised hes failed on so many levels. Roman though needs to take more of the flack by canning Carlo last season for a 33 year old with minimal experience.
Old March 5 2012, 11:55 AM   #4116
Starkers
Admiral

Chelsea, joke of a team now and joke of an owner--if you hire a young manager with the intent of overhauling the team you have to give him time. In Abramovitch's world Man Utd would have sacked Ferguson in his first season and Derby would have sacked Clough in his first year as well.

Never mind sacking Ancelotti, interesting to note that Chelcsea really started going downhill when they sacked Wilkins.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 09:57 PM   #4117
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Holy fuck. If Arsenal pulls this off, it's for sure one of the greatst comebacks of all time.

eta: Oh well. Great effort anyway. I guess that's Arsenal's motto almost.

Last edited by Roger Wilco; March 6 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 07:05 PM   #4118
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

It is. And forget seeing any more of that kind of display this season - they never sustain it.

Arsenal's biggest achievement this season seems to be finally getting van Persie for the duration. It's going to see them finish fourth, if not third.
Old March 14 2012, 08:46 AM   #4119
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Jake Buxton.

That is all......

Old March 14 2012, 10:28 AM   #4120
Starkers
Admiral

Old March 16 2012, 12:38 PM   #4121
Jax
Admiral

Jake Buxton
And to think I used to support him when I watched him at Mansfield Town

Sadly the game has been overshadowed by the Derby fans who found it funny to chant about the death of our chariman. These digusting people who don't deserve to inhale the air they use to expel such foul language.
Old March 16 2012, 01:09 PM   #4122
Starkers
Admiral

Yes indefensible, although from the way the media have reported it you'd think no football fans had ever chanted something uncalled for before.

Banter is one thing but this crossed the line. That said the club has apologised and the prevailing feeling amongst Derby fans is that it was bang out of order, so I think we need to move on, because if it keeps being harped on about there's going to be some serious entrenchment on Derby fans' behalf, already there's a prevailing feeling that there's more than a whiff of hypocricy about this given the sorts of things Forest fans have chanted over the years.

This kind of thing needs stopping amongst all football fans. Unfortunately I doubt it will ever be completely stamped out. Where do you draw the line after all?
Old March 17 2012, 08:28 AM   #4123
Jax
Admiral

I just wish football clubshad the balls to just tell their stewards to inform the police already at the game and together chuck out any fans who are crossing the line. I remember going to a Mansfield Town vs. Notts County League 2 game several years ago and what I heard chanted from one person was simply digusting.

Former Stags keeper "Kevin Pilkington" had left Stags and was at Notts County now (superb keeper he really was) and also had lost his father recently so what did this fan do. He decided to mock Pilkington over his father's death by shouting such things as "YOUR shit and thats why your dad is dead"

I love football alot but seriously its only a FUCKING game.
Old March 17 2012, 09:00 PM   #4124
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Football could learn a lot from Rugby Union - watching the games this weekend the difference in the match environments compared with football fixtures is like chalk and cheese. Fans mingling together, enjoying a drink in the stands, friendly banter, all good natured. If only football were like that still.

Re the chants - vile stuff. Hopefully those responsible will be dealt with appropriately, but we all know how these things work, they probably won't be.

It should be added however, without using this as an excuse as it's not, that those chants only began after Forest fans started singing 'let him die' when they thought Barker had a serious neck injury.

Did you a favour today though
Old March 17 2012, 09:55 PM   #4125
MacLeod
Admiral

In other news, a Player collapses during a match. And a better side of fans is shown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17356697
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote