Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 24 2012, 07:36 PM   #4096
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I can't see him going back to be honest. Even if he did it would only end in tears.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 07:52 PM   #4097
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I would guess Mourinho is more likely to go to Liverpool or Manchester United (in fact I would be willing to bet the latter is the job he really wants) than back to Chelsea. He's not the type to walk a path he's already gone before.
Old February 24 2012, 08:12 PM   #4098
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

I've been saying for a long time that Mourinho is the only man I could imagine taking over at Old Trafford when Fergie is eventually carried out of there in a box.
Old February 25 2012, 05:32 PM   #4099
Jax
Admiral

Redknapp could easily replace Fergie too.
Old February 25 2012, 06:13 PM   #4100
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hardly. He's only a couple years younger than Ferguson for a start and has won almost no trophies in his entire career as a manager.
Old February 25 2012, 06:25 PM   #4101
Jax
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Hardly. He's only a couple years younger than Ferguson for a start and has won almost no trophies in his entire career as a manager.
The age thing fair enough but as for trophoes he's managed Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth, Southamption and Tottenham so hs not likely to win much. Whats he done is generally over achieved so to toally dismiss him for any to post is a little snobbish something football chairmans n fans do too often.

* Won League One Title (Division 3 then) With Bournemouth

* Lead West Ham United to 5th in Premier League and lead them into Europe (Uefa Cup).

* Won The Championship with Portsmouth and then kept Pompey in the PL.

* Saints were bottom of the PL well adrfit of safety and took them to the last day of the season before being relegated.

* Return to Pompey to help them avoid relegation and then finish 9th (highest league position since the 50's). Won the FA Cup and took them into Europe.

* Spurs were in relegation when he took them over and now they are 3rd in the PL. Last 8 in the Champions League after already finishing 4th. Also got to Caring Cup Final with Spurs before losing on penatlies to Utd.

imagine what he could do with a club like Man Utd even for just a few years.
Old February 25 2012, 06:42 PM   #4102
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Dunno. I don't really follow the English league that closely, so I'm going to take your word for tha. It's true my knowledge about Redknapp is only superficial.
Old February 25 2012, 06:55 PM   #4103
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Whether he's good enough is largely irrelevant - he won't get the United job either way.

It's Mourinho's in the long-term I'm sure, he's never made any secret of his admiration for Ferguson and the club.

Failing that, they would either promote someone from within, someone with links to the club, or a bigger name European manager.

I think the order of preference would be;

1) Mourinho
2) Promote from within
3) Recruit from the continent
Old February 27 2012, 10:10 AM   #4104
Starkers
Admiral

Redknapp has won stuff, but a lot of the time it's because he spends a shit load of money, and as far as I can see he has to shoulder some of the responsibility for the mess Pompy find themselves in. He's clearly too old for anything other than a caretaker role at United anyway given Fergie hasn't even retired yet.

He's better suited to England.

Be nice if United promoted from within (or an old boy--somehow doubt Bruce or Hughes will get it but Solkjaar is doing well by all accounts) and surely sooner or later Moyes will get a shot at a bigger job (or else somone will buy Everton and give him some blooming funds)

Probably be some Italian we've never heard of though.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 10:59 AM   #4105
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

I'm glad Liverpool won but well done to Cardiff, they put up a hell of a fight and made it a tremendous final.
Old February 27 2012, 11:53 AM   #4106
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fantastic, open game, a great credit to both clubs.
Old February 27 2012, 12:29 PM   #4107
Jax
Admiral

Gutted for Cardiff so wanted them to win.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Redknapp has won stuff, but a lot of the time it's because he spends a shit load of money

Be nice if United promoted from within (or an old boy--somehow doubt Bruce or Hughes will get it but Solkjaar is doing well by all accounts
I doubt Redkanpp had any money with Bournemouth and West Ham back then had one of the smallest squads n amount of money (they were regularly tipped by pundits to be fighting for relegation n Harry always proved em wrong). He's had money to spend at Pompey and at Spurs of course but spent it very well (always other clubs that had more then him but did poorer than him). Its just a pity Pompey's chairman's never told Harry they were giving him money they didn't have (Leeds all over again).

I'd Love to see Solskjaer become Asst Manager while Fergie is there or under the next manager for him to take the regins in the future. By all accounts he did a brilliant job with the Man Utd reserves and he's already made history at Molde. His biggest strength was his tactical awarness of the game n thats why he was such a good super sub and a footballer...that will serve him very well as a Manager.
Old February 27 2012, 07:03 PM   #4108
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I was on a plane and missed all of extra time and penalties. Couldn't believe it when I finally found out what happened. I've only just watched it back on iplayer.

Such a cruel game sometimes. We playered our hearts out though. Roll on West Ham next Sunday.
Old February 29 2012, 11:51 PM   #4109
Jax
Admiral

ENG - no shape no system

Jones RB, Richards CB

Young in the middle

Welbeck did nothing yet Daniel Sturridge is farmed out on the wing yet again
Old March 1 2012, 11:34 AM   #4110
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Welbeck did fine, he just didn't have any support most of the time. I can't remember the last time we had a striker who held up the ball as well as he did it last night.

Sturridge did well when he came on, but yes, he must get a chance to play where he's supposed to play.

Parker - brilliant first half, bypassed in the second as they just played around him.

Cahill/Smalling - did fine. Not always helped out by Richards or Baines though.

Richards/Baines - not good enough. Walker should be first choice, and then try Warnock from Villa at LB if Cole isn't available. Richards, Baines, Johnson - none of them are good enough.

Hart - no chance with the goals.

Barry - typically useless.

Milner - see above

For saying that it was largely Holland's first choice side (minus Van der Vaart) against a highly experimental England side, I don't think we did ourselves any injustice. 3-2 was a fair scoreline, but it wasn't like we were played off the pitch. You could easily make the argument that we created the better chances (Sturridge's ball across the 6 yard line, Downing's shot etc).

All in all, I'm glad that we're beginning to use friendlies for what they can be used for. Rather that than putting out the same tired old team, playing the same tired old tactics, which enthuses neither the players or the fans.