Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 9 2011, 10:03 AM   #3811
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Hmm, I wonder if Forest vs. County will go ahead tonight?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 02:09 PM   #3812
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
It's funny that Bayern lost their first match yesterday, and because of a mistake of Neurer no less, very amusing. Also Dortmund looks very, very strong. It will be interesting to see how this still quite young team can cope with the stress of the Champions League and whether or not that will affect their performance in the league, but judging by what I see last weekend, all other German teams that aim at winning the title should be a bit concerned imo.
I watched the Dortmund game on Friday and it was really lovely. I vastly prefer Dortmund's game to Barcelona's. Barcelona is lulling you in and making you fall asleep. No emotion in their game. Just endless passing in midfield and then finally some attack.

Dortmund on the other hand is fast-paced combination football that's more vertical than horizontal. Even their defenders don't make horizontal passes. Mats Hummels didn't pass the ball to one of the other defenders all night. It was always straight into midfield or even further forward. His passing and vision is amazing for a defender.
And Götze/Kagawa/Gündogan/Großkreutz up front are a joy to watch.

Guardiola and Mourinho should be envious. I wonder if they liked it... ok... I admit I only mentioned Mourinho to post this:

Last edited by { Emilia }; August 9 2011 at 02:28 PM.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 06:48 PM   #3813
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

These rioters need a good fucking kicking now though I guess the football media can switch to this stupid fucking pissing match with the football league/Premier league who are banning reporters from games.

It all comes down to the leagues wanting to restrict the use of live interaction with fans, twitter etc, WHY? who knows really there just being dicks and the newspapers said they won't abide by the rules. Henry Winter of the Telegraph was told last saturday he could not go to the forest match but went anyway in the normal stands insead of the press box. However he now been banned 100% from the stadium because the football league has told Forest and every other club they cannot allow entry of any paper reporter even if they don't go in the press box.

FA grow a pair and overrule the leagues will ya ?
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 08:52 PM   #3814
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
It's funny that Bayern lost their first match yesterday, and because of a mistake of Neurer no less, very amusing. Also Dortmund looks very, very strong. It will be interesting to see how this still quite young team can cope with the stress of the Champions League and whether or not that will affect their performance in the league, but judging by what I see last weekend, all other German teams that aim at winning the title should be a bit concerned imo.
I watched the Dortmund game on Friday and it was really lovely. I vastly prefer Dortmund's game to Barcelona's. Barcelona is lulling you in and making you fall asleep. No emotion in their game. Just endless passing in midfield and then finally some attack.

Dortmund on the other hand is fast-paced combination football that's more vertical than horizontal. Even their defenders don't make horizontal passes. Mats Hummels didn't pass the ball to one of the other defenders all night. It was always straight into midfield or even further forward. His passing and vision is amazing for a defender.

Guardiola and Mourinho should be envious. I wonder if they liked it... ok... I admit I only mentioned Mourinho to post this:

Completely agree about Barcelona, and I'm looking forward to seeing Dortmund in the Champions League this season (and Napoli too, come to think of it). Great to see some fresh faces in there... except for Man City. I've had a soft spot for Dortmund since I went there for a long weekend back in 2004 - not sure they were any good back then though!

Bet Derby are wishing they'd had a riot or two to avoid this embarrassment - 0-3 to Shrewsbury at half time. Comical.
Old August 9 2011, 10:38 PM   #3815
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Just watched Forest/County online and we scored in last minute of extra time to take the game to a shootout and came within 1 pen of losing but...

in the end we won 4-3 after 6 pens

HURRAY
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2011, 09:56 AM   #3816
Starkers
Admiral

Ah well we restored a bit of pride in the second half at least, and we weren't alone in getting knocked out.

We're concentrating on the league this season anyway

Old August 11 2011, 03:01 PM   #3817
Starkers
Admiral

Well for what it's worth here are my predictions. I actually had QPR going down at first but I really do think Wigan and Blackburn are doomed, and given how easily Derby outplayed Swansea I fear they'll be swamped. And this is, unfortunately, the year Arsenal really start to slide.

1 Man Utd
2 Man City
3 Liverpool
4 Chelsea
5 Tottenham
6 Arsenal
7 Sunderland
8 Everton
9 Aston Villa
10 Bolton
11 Stoke
12 West Brom
13 Newcastle
14 Fulham
15 Wolves
16 Norwich
17 QPR
18 Wigan
19 Blackburn
20 Swansea

Old August 11 2011, 03:40 PM   #3818
SPCTRE
N7

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post

LOL { Emilia } Agreed on the Dortmund game. Grudgingly, but I have to agree.

@Roger Wilco
I really feel for Manuel Neuer, and not just because I'm a Bayern supporter. He's a great guy and a great keeper as well.

He had a very hard time (and will continue to have one for quite some time) winning over those Bayern supporters who opposed his transfer. Messing up uncharacteristically in the first game will make things harder.

I'm convinced he will succeed at Bayern in the long term though.
Old August 12 2011, 06:48 PM   #3819
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

Fabby has left Arsenal for a team that doesn't even really need him, Barcelona.

With it looking like Nasri will go as well and Wenger's penchant for bringing in young, inexperienced, nubile and pretty teenage boys, looks like the best Arsenal can hope for is around 7th or 8th.

What a great day this has turned out to be!
Old August 12 2011, 11:14 PM   #3820
Starkers
Admiral

Well Wenger might now sign a 35 year old keeper, Joey Barton and two hard British central defenders...

Or possibly three 15 year olds from Belgium...

Old August 13 2011, 03:14 PM   #3821
StolenThunder
Poster

Apparently a 19 year old from Costa Rica. Hm.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 06:49 PM   #3822
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Udinese could very easily turn Arsenal over, you know.
Old August 13 2011, 07:22 PM   #3823
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Udinese probably will turn Arsenal over. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Unless Arsene suddenly re-finds his midas touch I fear for Arsenal's chances of qualifying for the CL again this season. I suspect that Liverpool and Tottenham will finish above them.

2 wins out of 2 in the league for DCFC now. Rubbish in the first half today but went in 0-0. Scored early in the second and then controlled the rest of the game fairly comfortably.

Don't know which was the more amusing result today though - Leicester getting turned over by Reading, Leeds losing at home to 'Boro with 9 men, or Forest getting done again and registering no shots on target!
Old August 14 2011, 08:20 PM   #3824
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

2 in 2 for Cardiff as well. We looked good today, helped immensely by Bristol City's inability to pass the ball to each other in fairness. Very happy so far.
Old August 15 2011, 11:39 AM   #3825
Starkers
Admiral

Back to back league wins, 6 points, third in the table. It probably won't last but I'll enjoy it while it does