Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 31 2011, 02:55 PM   #3796
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Meh. Be careful what you wish for. UEFA and FIFA certainly have their flaws but they do occasionally concern themselves with what's good for the sport in general; especially since the smaller federations carry significant power. As a supporter of a club that's absolutely insignificant in the grand scheme of things in Europe I don't see how any good could come out of this for me. The English are just butthurt because they don't rule European football anymore imo and the big clubs are greedy to get a bigger slice of the pie as always
Old July 31 2011, 03:46 PM   #3797
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

^ Well, I'm not against FIFA as a concept, I'm against the reality of the machinations behind FIFA as a governing body for the sport

In other news, following the DFB-Pokal was fun yesterday:
Leverkusen, Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg sent crashing in German Cup
Old July 31 2011, 05:15 PM   #3798
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The problem with the Super League breakaway is that it gives you, as an alternative to Blatter and co, the likes of the Glazers, Abramovich and the president of Real. The moneymen. You can forget any semblance of giving a shit about the fans then.

How would such a league even work? Will it have relegation/promotion (I seriously doubt it - can you imagine United/Munich/Barca getting relegated?) Would it be mid-week? Would anyone other than the first clubs in be allowed to join somehow? What're the criteria for entry (money, probably).

All this because of some shitty international friendlies no one cares about.
Old August 1 2011, 07:43 PM   #3799
Jax
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
All this because of some shitty international friendlies no one cares about.
Speak for yourself I love international football but that could be because my club is Notts Forest and theres nothing exciting about that
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:47 PM   #3800
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Your country is England and there's nothing exciting about their team either!
Old August 3 2011, 03:06 PM   #3801
oojason
Commander

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Meh. Be careful what you wish for. UEFA and FIFA certainly have their flaws but they do occasionally concern themselves with what's good for the sport in general; especially since the smaller federations carry significant power. As a supporter of a club that's absolutely insignificant in the grand scheme of things in Europe I don't see how any good could come out of this for me. The English are just butthurt because they don't rule European football anymore imo and the big clubs are greedy to get a bigger slice of the pie as always
I'd prefer to see a governing body open and transparent - with representation from players, refs, fans, coaches and owners (all levels from within the game).

An organisation that clamps down on any corruption or conflict of interest - and that is truly open to input, and constructive criticism.

I don't see what the English being 'butthurt because they don't rule the game anymore' has to do with anything - this is a group made from many European clubs.

but hey-ho.
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 06:10 PM   #3802
Jax
Admiral

Your country is England and there's nothing exciting about their team either!
Always good drama with ENG even if we fail when it matters. Anyway the season is almost upon us so going to do my annual PL prediction...

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Everton
8. Stoke City
9. Sunderland
10. Fulham
11. Aston Villa
12. Bolton
13. West Brom
14. Norwich City
15. Newcastle Utd
16. Wolves
17. Blackburn
18. Swansea
19. Wigan
20. QPR

Oh and for my Forest I am saying 15th because we don't have a full squad still and looks like that won't change.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old August 3 2011, 07:52 PM   #3803
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Cardiff will be in at 9th with a bullet. Swansea will stay up, of this I have no doubt. QPR and Norwich, however, are both going to drop like a stone. In QPR's case, more like a boulder. I believe I have Blackburn pencilled in to join them, though might revise that to Newcastle, who seem to be self-destructing once again.

I have my Prem table prediction written down in work. I'll post it tomorrow.

EDIT: and here it is

1 Manchester United
2 Manchester City
3 Chelsea
4 Arsenal
5 Spurs
6 Liverpool
7 Everton
8 Fulham
9 Sunderland
10 Bolton
11 Stoke
12 Villa
13 WBA
14 Wolves
15 Wigan
16 Newcastle
17 Jacks

18 Blackburn
19 Norwich
20 QPR (and by some distance, up to 12 points adrift)

Last edited by HappyDayRiot; August 4 2011 at 09:36 AM.
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2011, 05:50 PM   #3804
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Ah, football returns and what could be a better start to the season than mugging West Ham on their own patch, on live TV, and in injury-time to boot? (beating Birmingham maybe?)

Early days of course, but West Ham certainly didn't look the force that's going to walk through the division as many predicted. There's no comparison between them and the strong Newcastle side that dropped down a few years ago, and they could yet still lose some of their best players before the month is out. Cardiff, on the other hand, looked a lot more fresh and resilient than we've been in a while. Gerrard has slotted back in well, and Cowie, Taylor and Gesetede look very good acquisitions. Even Marshall, back between the sticks after a year out, had a superb game. Miller and Earnshaw can't play together, though - we still need another senior striker to pair up with one of them. Jury's still out on Gunnarsson, who managed to throw two throw-ins straight out of play, and Conway who was anonymous.

I also watched AFC Wimbledon's first game in the League. I know they're risen a long way in a short time, but it was like parks football!

ps boring boring Forest
Old August 8 2011, 02:50 PM   #3805
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah beating Birmingham was good That said we've won the opening game of the season three years running now and haven't set the league on fire!

Will have to sort out my PL predictions!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2011, 06:46 PM   #3806
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

So glad the season is back, and Saints actually managed to win an opening game!! Shock horror! And we played some good football as well!

Also, just seen that Chamberlain has gone to Arsenal. It was always likely and it's a shame that he couldn't stay for the rest of this season but I suppose when these opportunities come along you have to take them. I don't begrudge him for leaving, I'm just wondering why Arsenal are buying him now, it doesn't seem like they're in desperate need for a winger.

I'm just glad no-one's been sniffing around Lallana.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2011, 07:29 PM   #3807
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I forgot about Southampton - they destroyed Leeds. All three goals really well taken and made a mockery of their new league status. Hopefully, a sign of times to come for both sides.
Old August 8 2011, 07:48 PM   #3808
Roger Wilco
Admiral

It's funny that Bayern lost their first match yesterday, and because of a mistake of Neurer no less, very amusing. Also Dortmund looks very, very strong. It will be interesting to see how this still quite young team can cope with the stress of the Champions League and whether or not that will affect their performance in the league, but judging by what I see last weekend, all other German teams that aim at winning the title should be a bit concerned imo.
Old August 8 2011, 10:27 PM   #3809
Starkers
Admiral

I forgot about Southampton - they destroyed Leeds. All three goals really well taken and made a mockery of their new league status. Hopefully, a sign of times to come for both sides.
Yeah, I don't care what anyone says about West Ham and Leicester, I think this year will be as open as last year, and I guarentee a surprise team goes up (hopefully Derby )

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 01:17 AM   #3810
Jax
Admiral

ENG vs. Holland + all London football games this weekend are set to be cancelled due to police having no officers to spare.