Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 17 2011, 08:25 PM   #3751
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Camren wrote: View Post
Aston Villa seem determined to both struggle and alienate fans by appointing Alex McLeish as their manager. Strange appointment.
Villa fans are some of the worst IMO they began to hound O Neill for finishing in the top 7 Villa are not a big club they need to get over it.
Old June 19 2011, 09:53 PM   #3752
Jax
Admiral

ENG U21 were minutes away from going though but crash out 2-1 same old story lack of ability on the ball and we had way more of it like 60%ish. I look at that team and I see...

Walker
Jones
Smalling
Bertrand
Rodwell

Only players that probably can make it along with the likes of Carroll, Wilshere, Lennon, Gibbs & Richards who were eligable but didn't take part.

Bertrand needs to leave Chelsea if only on loan though because hes better than Gibbs but need games, while Gibbs need to actually be able to walk FAR TOO injury prone already at 20 years of age. Also Rodwell needs to stay fit and realise his potential because he's come off the track lately AND Henderson is just plain poor, Liverpool have been robbed.

ENG future looks strong for defence and ok for Wingers and strikers but lack of cover in the goalkeeper department is worrying and a MASSIVE problem is middle of the park, the lack of real ability to do anything is a problem. Wilshere cannot run a midfield on his own, he needs one quality attacking and one defensive minded player(s) with him.
Old June 24 2011, 08:57 PM   #3753
Jax
Admiral

Forest linked with ex Derby "Giles Barnes" who once had a promising career before injury. You can tell upon hearing this some Forest fans edited Wikipedia because his personal info reads...

Giles "sheepshagging" Barnes
5th August 1666 (age 344)
25 ft 9 in
Born in Lapland

oh and the Derby County Wiki entry reads...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_shaggers_F.C.

Old June 25 2011, 10:11 PM   #3754
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

If Giles Barnes is the kind of player that McClown's looking to bring in at Forest then I'd be more than concerned I think. He's never been the same player since he was injured by Carl Dickinson, was shagged before he left us, and from what I've heard he's still struggling.

Upon hearing the news, most Derby fans appear to be 'very pleased'........
Old June 26 2011, 05:33 PM   #3755
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Did he ever kick a ball for Fulham or West Brom?

We're stealing half the SPL from under Rangers' noses. Quite a fun approach to the transfers season!
Old June 26 2011, 10:32 PM   #3756
Starkers
Admiral

We got rid of Barnes because medical advice said he wouldn't regain his fitness, Birmingham passed for the same reason before WBA took him-he played 2 games for them I think. Bearing in mind Hogson at once point was interested as he took him on loan to Fulham...and never played him, then got rid of him at Brom. Speaks volumes.

Shame, when fit, and on his day, he had so much potential but injury and, so I hear, ego have basically ruined him.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 02:02 AM   #3757
Jax
Admiral

Despite the rumors of Barnes it looks the first signings of the summer are set to be...

McClaren will swoop £2million for Keith Andrews from Blackburn and take on his compatriot Andy Reid on a free transfer from Sunderland.
I would be very happy with both of them especially Andy returning to Forest. Looks like we won't get a return of Bertrand because he looks set to remain in the PL to gather experience and join Swansea on loan.

Also Arsenal look set to break their club record for Juan Mata at a rumored £18 million, I have to admit I really like Mata ever since I first saw him but I have doubts over Wenger would spend so much on him.
Old June 27 2011, 10:26 AM   #3758
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Interesting signing for Arsenal.

Odd though, if he's going to spend that amount of money then you'd think he'd be trying to sort the defence out. Perhaps they're expecting Arshavin to leave.
Old June 27 2011, 06:53 PM   #3759
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Arsenal will not pay £18m. No chance.

Andy Reid, eh? Is he still any good? He did next to nothing for Blackpool last season and couldn't get into the Sunderland side. He was on fire for about two months the season before though.
Old July 5 2011, 02:30 PM   #3760
Starkers
Admiral

I see it's time for Tevez's annual "I want to leave!" song and dance...

Old July 5 2011, 07:49 PM   #3761
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I'd want to leave if my club just showed its ambition by signing Gael Clichy as well.

Arsenal, you know, could well be screwed this season.
Old July 5 2011, 10:14 PM   #3762
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, although knowing Wenger he probably has three superstar 18 year olds just about to come out of cryogenic storage...

Old July 5 2011, 11:22 PM   #3763
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

He'll need them.

Clichy already gone, Fabregas will follow, as will Nasri and then there's Arshavin who looks like he'll be going, Bendtner who is going, and Chocolate leg's started making noises now as well.

Arsenal could well be fooked.
Old July 6 2011, 12:41 AM   #3764
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Any serious rumours in England about Chelsea going after Sergio Aguero by the way?

Looks like quite the transfer saga and for some reason I doubt he's going to Real. They've just spent 30m€ on Coentrao and are probably still going for Neymar.

I'm just trying to find out if somebody's going to compete with "my" Juventus.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 07:56 AM   #3765
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Think Chelsea are interested, but think is preference is Juventus. Reading between the lines, it seems to be his agent that keeps maintaining the Chelsea interest, probably to improve the players terms when he does join Juventus.

Chelsea's preference appears to be trying to out muscle Real Madrid for Neymar. Yeah, good luck with that!