The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 8 2011, 01:28 PM   #3676
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I don't doubt Jordan Henderson is a decent player and well could turn into a very good one but a deal eventually worth £20 million is INSANE. Now the papers tend to over estimate transfers sometime but anything close to this price is stupid unless a large sum is add ons depending on games he plays and breaks into ENG team etc.

Liverpool need to replace Gerrard with someone who can score goals and Charlie Adams would of been a good fit for that, Jordan is more of a Jack Wilshere type player who assists.

Liverpool need at least 1 winger and a Left Back now.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 01:33 PM   #3677
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The official price is 16.5

I think N'gog is also going the other way.

Jax wrote: View Post
Liverpool need to replace Gerrard with someone who can score goals and Charlie Adams would of been a good fit for that
When Meireles played that position he was awesome. He got shifted on the right again towards the end of the season and his formed dipped.

As for wingers, Adam Johnson would be my pick but I doubt City would sell.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 01:55 PM   #3678
Jax
Admiral

£16.5 million is still too much IMO and as for Adam Johnson, he's too good to sit on the bench if I was him I would consider forcing an exit come January if Machini doesn't play him more. Its strange how both ENG/Man City Coaches are italian and don't fancy him because of how attacking he is They don't seem to get him as a player, while a Liverpool or Spurs would get the best out of him IMO.

Just read via Henry Winter's (Telegraph journo) that Phil Jones is having a medical for the move to Man Utd. I thought he was with ENG at the U21 championships ??? I guess Evans is going to be sold then, I can see Sunderland wanting him.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received

Last edited by Jax; June 8 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old June 8 2011, 03:31 PM   #3679
The Haunting
Admiral

17 Million for Jones apparently...

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 04:21 PM   #3680
Jax
Admiral

A pre Deal for next season would of made better sense, even if Evans is sold now WHERE is he going to fit into the squad to play enough games for such a price

De Dea, Young and Jones is looking at around £50 million and yes he could sell some players + loans to make funds but I doubt he can afford a decent central midfielder now.
Old June 8 2011, 06:38 PM   #3681
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Henderson, Young and Jones. All English, all hideously over-priced.

Just another day in the transfer market.

Meanwhile, Jay Bothroyd signs for Everton and Chris Burke for Birmingham. I can only assume he likes McLeish, why else would he go there?
Old June 8 2011, 07:32 PM   #3682
Jax
Admiral

I don't mind the Young £14-16 million price were hearing though of course thats mainly due to 1 year left on his contract. The other two are not worth that sort of money and I doubt Henderson ever will be though I have high hopes for Phil Jones.
Old June 8 2011, 09:46 PM   #3683
chineserapper05
Captain

how does the transfer fee get decided anyways?

RIP Darla Perez, June 7, 2008
chineserapper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 10:30 PM   #3684
Jax
Admiral

chineserapper05 wrote: View Post
how does the transfer fee get decided anyways?
One club tells you want they want and you give it them or try barter them down.
Old June 10 2011, 02:42 AM   #3685
Jax
Admiral

It looks more and more that Nasri may end up joining Utd, I scoffed at the idea when I first heard but they may just pull the dam thing off

I would take Nasri over Sneijder for the simple reason he's younger, far cheaper but in the centre he can create and score goals. £10-15 million due to last year of his contract and he seems pretty intent to leave Arsenal for a better club.
Old June 10 2011, 09:54 AM   #3686
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

United could do worse than sign the pair of them. Scholes is retiring, Carrick isn't good enough, that's reason enough, but bottom line, Nasri and Sneijder are both better than any of the current Man Utd midfield IMO.

Edit: According to the BBC, Sneijder has pledged his future to Inter Milan.

Last edited by Angel4576; June 10 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 01:26 PM   #3687
The Haunting
Admiral

Well I see Martinez has turned down Villa!

Anyone else feel they might sruggle next year?

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 02:53 PM   #3688
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Villa and Wigan will probably BOTH struggle next year.
Old June 10 2011, 05:19 PM   #3689
oojason
Commander

Surprising with Villa's continuing search for a manager... Houllier may not have been a fan favourite there but he did cull the large squad and a significant wage bill (82% of turnover?) as was his remit.

3 managers have now turned it down after talks with the club, they may be losing Young and Downing soon - but there's some quality prospects coming through, decent players already there, and should be money in the kitty for the new man.

A more professional and fitter squad too, apparantly...
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 06:08 PM   #3690
Jax
Admiral

I don't think Villa are relegation candidates but they are set to have a poor season. I think Randy wants to bring through more players from the academy like Kenny has done at Liverpool but the problem is there academy is nowhere near as good.

You also have to say Wigan will be relegation candidates again next season but I guess even if they go down he will keep his job, such a hard task at the JJB stadium.