Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 31 2011, 12:38 PM   #3631
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Starkers wrote: View Post
Probably for the best for both Cardiff and Jones really...

So Swansea in the Prem, they'll either be a revalation or they'll be torn apart (lets face it we beat them with ease!)
It was such a good final I don't mind them going up. Hopefully they'll get torn apart and not stay too long.

The whole thing has brought out all the usual anti-Welsh teams comments from the usual places, so I don't mind having them in the Prem just to annoy those trolls. And in fairness, Swansea as a city needs money, which it will get from Premier League crowds and business.
Old May 31 2011, 12:50 PM   #3632
Jax
Admiral

Paul Scholes has retired today and no doubt he was one of the best players EVER to play the beautiful game. People talk about how good Xavi is today and has been over the last 5 years but for me Scholes is king...

At his 10 year best between 1995-2005, Paul Scholes could do everything Xavi can do now but add goals, goals & goals, which for me ranks the ginger ninja higher. If you were to compare his abiities to other players then Paul Scholes at his best had the vision of Beckham, the passing of Xavi + the touch and shot of Zidane. A true great of the game who scored over 150 goals in 675 games for United. Between his golden years in between 1995 & 2005 he scored...

120 goals in 439 games - bloody brilliant for a midfielder and god knows how many assists he had.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 07:10 PM   #3633
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Like Xavi and Zidane, I too love Paul Scholes. I love his complete inability to tackle, and I love his screaming volleys, and I love his comedy red cards (my favourite being the one in the Super Cup v Zenit, when he punched the ball into the net from a corner to 'equalise').

He's definitely right to retire now. He's not quite had it, but he's past his best. He'll be missed. What an impetus for United to spend on midfield though.
Old May 31 2011, 10:49 PM   #3634
oojason
Commander

Jax wrote: View Post
^ While Fergie had me shouting to make his 3rd sub in the form of Michael Owen for ages, I still think axing the most succesful football coach in modern history is probably not the right option. Fergie won't leave till he wins a 4th European cup now, after losing the last 2 after wining the first 2, he will make Roman's obession at Chelski look like childs play.

I refuse to believe Pep is a world class coach because Barcelona play for themselves they need very little direction. Also when Barca do begin to struggle Pep seems lost at sea like in the Copa Rey Final and last season CL Semi Final with Inter...even the Chelsea CL semi when the ref saved Barca after Pep just ran out of ideas.
Aoplogies - I didn't mean axe him - his domestic success is unparalleled, but in Europe the tactical side of game seems to elude him at times, and that is probably why a 3rd CL title will probably elude him.

442 with Carrick and Giggs in the centre vs Barca? Park tucking in to help but even he ran out of steam, Hernandez over Berbatov in a 2 up top? Omitting Berbatov for Owen even on the bench?

It did seem to leave a of space for Barca to exploit - I thought 4-2-3-1 and deny them the space and hit them on the break - something Utd excel at pace and are experienced in playing like.

Re Scholes - superb player - 'dodgy' tackling apart - and, despite being a Liverpool fan, I have to admit he's been one of the top midfielders of his generation - and also an advert for how a modern footballer can behave and act off and on the pitch.

Good luck to him, and it'll be a good grounding for many a young player to learn from him in the future in his coaching role.

As for FIFA - 'elections are to be decided by secret ballot', 'wages are not for public knowledge', 'FIFA contracts are behind closd doors', 'Blatter may donate gifts and money as he sees fit through the GOAL fund' - are far from the transparency called for by fans, the media and the 'football family' sponsors - and soon, even the Swiss Government.

FIFA is a actually a charity - perhaps all of it's 208 member associations should publicly vote on everything FIFA decides and wants to do - instead of select executive committees who operate in secret and are seemingly corrupt doing as they see fit. All 208 members' reps should declare any potential conflicting interests in their businesses and personal lives - and all contracts to 3rd parties should be publicly disclosed and no more secret payments. Also, representatives of fan groups should also be part of FIFA and have voting rights along with the 208 member associations - for too long the fans have had little or no say in how the game is run, the ticket prices and treatment of fans at these events. That'd make a start.

If they stay as are, they may as well renamed themselves Thiefa.

and, yes, the English FA are corrupt too.

Last edited by oojason; May 31 2011 at 11:00 PM.
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 01:33 PM   #3635
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

All 208 member associations to vote on world cup locations going foward apparently.
Old June 1 2011, 03:03 PM   #3636
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
All 208 member associations to vote on world cup locations going foward apparently.
I doubt I will ever see an ENG World Cup in my lifetime because there is so much anti English sentiment around the world. Personally If I could choose the next 3 world cups after the farce that will be 2022 then I would love to see...

England, Australia, USA and a return to South Korea/Japan between 2026 and 2040.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old June 1 2011, 06:18 PM   #3637
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

On the other hand, we can make like the Russians and get the rest of the commonwealth to vote for us......
Old June 1 2011, 06:30 PM   #3638
Jax
Admiral

The head of the Argentina FA actually said in front of everyone "Give us back the Falklands and we'll vote for you". Theres being tact and then theres time you just want a member of THE FA (not just any FA, THE FA) to stand up and smack some of these smary cunts in FIFA.

I would not hesitate to burn the fucking HQ building down with the stinking rats inside it.
Old June 1 2011, 06:46 PM   #3639
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The head of the Argentina FA actually said in front of everyone "Give us back the Falklands and we'll vote for you".
Best response to that would be to surface a Trident nuclear submarine in the Rio de la Plata, off the coast of Buenos Aires. "I'm sorry, you'll be voting for us when?"
Old June 1 2011, 07:52 PM   #3640
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The head of the Argentina FA actually said in front of everyone "Give us back the Falklands and we'll vote for you".
Best response to that would be to surface a Trident nuclear submarine in the Rio de la Plata, off the coast of Buenos Aires. "I'm sorry, you'll be voting for us when?"
We could just unleash an army of Geordies on them, see how long they last before they cry out for mercy
Old June 2 2011, 10:36 PM   #3641
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Interesting piece from David Bond at the BBC;

Bloemfontein, Zurich mark one and now Zurich mark two. After last year's World Cup and World Cup 2018 vote English football has been given a harsh lesson on Fifa's world stage.

As he made the agonisingly long walk to the congress lectern this morning FA chairman David Bernstein might not have expected the angry backlash he would face.

After making his lone appeal to postpone the re-election of Sepp Blatter, he could only watch as, one by one, delegates from the rest of the world took it in turn to attack the FA's last minute move.

Haiti, Benin, Congo and Cyprus all publicly criticised the FA for making what they - bizarrely - viewed as an undemocratic request. It was against the agenda, they said, and England weren't playing by the rules. They rounded on the British media for creating a crisis without any real evidence.
The most brutal attack came from the long standing Fifa vice president for Argentina, Julio Grondona. He used his address as head of Fifa's finance committee to plead with the English to leave the Fifa family alone and criticised Bernstein for his intervention.

He added: "We always have attacks - mostly with lies and with the support of journalism which is more busy lying than telling the truth."

Not one mentioned the fact that two executive committee members - including one who was supposed to be running for president - had been suspended just three days ago pending a bribery investigation set up by a third member of its executive.

But the vote told a slightly different story. 17 countries backed England's call and another 17 abstained meaning 34 countries - or around 16 per cent of the eligible nations (206) - were expressing some doubts about this election.

Whether they were supporting the FA or acting in their own interests is difficult to tell. Many of those 34 votes may have come from delegates angry at the treatment of former presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam, suspended last Sunday and ruled out of the election.

The 172 votes against the postponement revealed, again, Blatter's strong power base and the FA was never likely to win the argument today. But Bernstein will be pleased he wasn't completely humiliated in the vote.

Having said all this, if anyone at the FA wondered if English football was isolated inside Fifa, then there can be absolutely no doubts after today's backlash.

Much of this is historic. There is deep resentment at the way Britain gets an automatic vice presidency on the Fifa executive committee. With England's Geoff Thompson standing down after four years, this is due to be taken up by Northern Ireland's Jim Boyce later today. Some hospital pass that.

In his attack on England, Grondona raised the issue of the vice presidency and one outcome from all this might be a move to finally end this anachronistic privilege which has been woefully utilised by Thompson and the British FAs over the last few years.

There is also resentment at what many of the smaller countries - particularly in Africa and the Caribbean - see as English arrogance. This is reinforced by the financial might of the Premier League.

On top of that, the fall out from the England World Cup bid has left many asking whether all of the attacks on Fifa are being motivated by revenge. It is certainly true that while the Fifa story has been dominating the news bulletins and front pages in Britain, it is not making the same kind of headlines elsewhere - even in Europe.

So what now for England? With Blatter likely to be re-elected later (don't be surprised to see hundreds of delegates rise to applaud the president afterwards) any hopes of rebuilding bridges will have to be put off for the next four years.

The Bin Hammam and Jack Warner bribery inquiry could prove them right if there is another round of bloodletting causing the Fifa crisis to widen.

Their best hope might be to align themselves with Michel Platini, the favourite to succeed Blatter in 2015, although Brazil's Ricardo Teixeira is also likely to stand and he is unlikely to look favourably on England.

David Bernstein said that by making his stand today he was standing up for principles. Most people back home will applaud this and will be extremely angry at the way Fifa has circled the wagons today.

But the FA can only hope that Sepp Blatter means it when he says he will now make real reforms. They will be watching from the sidelines.
As much as I love watching England in the WC, and as much as I love watching English teams in Europe I'd quite happily back the FA in pulling us out of Fifa, and if necessary Uefa.

Having a purely domestic-game doesn't do American Football any harm. The Premier League and English football is a huge global brand. The only problem would be the ability to attract players without the lure of European football. I guess then though the better teams could pay whatever wages they like as they wouldn't need to worry about Uefa's financial fair play rules.

Even in the worst case scenario, where the Premier League struggles to attract foreign players, or certainly the numbers that it currently does, is that such a bad thing?

Plus we could fuck off all these crazy rules that Fifa/Uefa come up with, like getting yellow cards for celebrating goals!
Old June 3 2011, 10:37 AM   #3642
The Haunting
Admiral

There's no way in hell the likes of Man U, Chelsea etc would ever let the FA pull out of Europe unfortunately.

I think the real test for FIFA isn't what we do (and lets face it we should have spoken up before the WC bid was tanked) but they might start to take notice with the sponsers making noises about not being happy.

Apparently one of the countries who voted with us did so by accident (Thanks Vietnam!)

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 12:36 PM   #3643
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

That'll be the same Grodona who believes Jewish men are not fit to referee at World Cups, and other assorted racist remarks and backhanders over the years.

Prime example of the corrupt shower FIFA is made up of.

The whole thing is a white-wash. Short of beaming video footage of Blatter and co pocketing their millions onto the face of FIFA HQ, nothing will ever come of this - no matter how many trenchcoated journos we can throw at it.
Old June 4 2011, 04:03 PM   #3644
Jax
Admiral

ENG play in about 1 hour and you would expect them to win at home to the Swiss but this is England . Fabio has named his XI and am surprised he dropped Young for can't get in the Man City team James Milner who stopped being a winger after the 2010 World Cup. I would of prefered Young with Theo or Johnson on the wings but hey I don't get paid £6 million to flop at a major summer tournament

Hart
Johnson
Terry
Ferdinand
Cole
Walcott
Lampard
Parker
Wilshire
Milner
Bent

EDIT - Johnson over bench, Downing gets his place FFS.
Old June 4 2011, 05:19 PM   #3645
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

The real England's back folks!