Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 18 2011, 09:56 AM   #3571
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Well you never know Cardiff might still want him...maybe...please...pretty please?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 11:57 AM   #3572
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

You're welcome to him. He's damn lucky it didn't end 0-1 - if it had, I'd have been on the pitch with my shitty plastic fan clapper garroting him.

Howard Webb will have a nice summer holiday on the pay-off from the FA/Met he clearly got to prevent us having a sniff of Wembley. Disgracefully biased refereeing. We didn't get so much as a free-kick inside the Reading half all night, and the penalty shambles... ergh, I can't even think it about yet, it makes my blood boil. And did he keep his yellow cards at home? Oh, no. Thst's right, he kept one until last 5 minutes to book a Cardiff player for doing much what Reading had done repeatedly all evening.

I'm trying not to be bitter - defeat was on the cards as soon as I saw the teamsheet and Reading did well - congratulations to them - but Webb has severely pissed me off.

Next season I hope we tone it down it and build. We're losing at least 6 players back to their parent clubs now, and another 3-4 are out of contract. I think all we have left are the goalkeeper back four (who I like), Darcy Blake (the only Cardiff performer last night), McPhail and Chopra (our only real saleable asset). I'll be happy with an unremarkable mid-table finish. No idea who the manager will be, but I think DJ has gone as far as he can with us now.

Midtable this year would have been fine anyway, but they had to go and get our hopes up. Again.
Old May 18 2011, 04:02 PM   #3573
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Giving Forest a run for their money......

Old May 19 2011, 08:39 PM   #3574
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Yeah, yeah Given the circumstances I don't think we bottled it this time (just against Boro).

Still reckon Arsenal are bigger bottlers than us though. They're about to come 4th in a 2-horse race!
Old May 20 2011, 02:44 AM   #3575
Jax
Admiral

Fergie spends too much on a overhyped unproven in the PL keeper

Spain Under-21 goalkeeper David De Gea has confirmed he will leave Atletico Madrid at the end of the season, and now his club have accepted, in principle, a United offer of around £16million.
£16 million for a young keeper who is so early into his career he could easily end up being totally average.

I would like to see Fergie get pre deals for next season for players like Phil Jones and Jack Rodwell because they are going to be big ENG players in the future and I would rather them at Utd under Fergie + I think Rio should be sold next summer and Evans is naff.

If he wants Rodwell he is going to have to sell Carrick to make room and you would think Ashley Young and Sneijder are the most likely next buys. He can sell several players and raise quite a bit of money actually to help him make his buys despite the Glazer debt especially the money from winning CL should they beat Barca.
Old May 20 2011, 07:26 AM   #3576
Jax
Admiral

A lovely image of what the ref and linesman did NOT see despite looking at them at the time. Point blank or not, his arms have no right to be in the air like that, FFS looks like hes trying to save the ball John Terry style.

Never mind Ref, its not like you stopped us from getting to a £50 million match...oh wait you did
Old May 20 2011, 09:50 AM   #3577
Starkers
Admiral

Looks like he's trying to get out of the way to me!

Old May 20 2011, 01:34 PM   #3578
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Agreed, you're being far too biased Jax.....
Old May 20 2011, 01:47 PM   #3579
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Looks like he's trying to get out of the way to me!
A foul does not have to be on purpose, his arms are up so its not ball to hand I want the ref burnt at the stake
Old May 22 2011, 07:19 PM   #3580
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

So Birmingham and Blackpool got relegated (which I called, along with Wigan's win at Stoke). Ironic they could both be in Europe next season, as Blackpool may take the Fair Play spot!
Old May 22 2011, 08:51 PM   #3581
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

It's looking likely that Blackpool have pipped Fulham to the final Europa League spot, due to that late sending off.

Thing is though, that'll fcuk up Blackpool even more. Football over the summer instead of rest and recuperation, and then even more matches during the season (although, let's be fair, probably not too many as Blackpool most likely wouldn't progress too far).

And to think, If WHU had beaten Stoke in the FA Cup SF, and then Bolton, they too might have qualified. What odds - all three relegated teams in Europe!
Old May 22 2011, 11:17 PM   #3582
Servo
Rear Admiral

I am truly gutted that Blackpool went down. Such a spirited team with a great manager, and they brought a great amount of personality to the league both on and off the pitch. The Premiership is worse off without them.

What made it worse was the fact that my team put them down. I love Man United and today was a fantastic day for the club and us fans, but sending Blackpool out of the top flight definitely made it a bittersweet victory.

I really hope Holloway can keep the team together as much as possible (although it's doubtful he'll be able to keep hold of Adam, and possibly Campbell too), and can come out swinging next season in the Championship. I'll definitely be following them and I hope they can get themselves back up to the top flight.
Old May 23 2011, 07:59 AM   #3583
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I was glad that Wolves stayed up, I've got a lot of time for Mick McCarthy.

Blackpool - couldn't care less. Nothing against the club themselves but Holloway's a tvvat. Came out in the media earlier in the season saying that they'd got an exclusive option on Luke Varney to turn his loan deal permanent for £250k if they wanted. In reality they had no such option and he was just trying to stop anyone else from going in for him in January.

Glad to see Birmingham down as well. I like McLeish, but 38 goals scored last season, 37 this season, they're like the anti-Blackpool.

All in all, WHU, Brum and Blackpool - quite satisfied with that. I suspect that somehow Gold & Sullivan will finance them spending enough to go back up. Brum and Blackpool will probably be around mid-table. I expect Reading or Swansea to be there or thereabouts again next year, Forest probably, Cardiff probably, Leeds probably, maybe Millwall, Burnley etc.
Old May 23 2011, 08:49 AM   #3584
Jax
Admiral

Whats more important is I won my Fantasy FA Premier League title After being 6th and 2nd in my 2 previous seasons. Whats more weird though last season I did far better and finished inside the 50,000 of the 2.2 million players but this season finished 386,209 out of 2.4 million players but won my league this time around .

I never held 1st place until the last day of the season turning around a 1 point defecit into a 10 point lead and bare in mind the guy who finished 10th was over 100 points clear of me (1st place) at christmas.

Last edited by Jax; May 23 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 09:04 AM   #3585
Starkers
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I was glad that Wolves stayed up, I've got a lot of time for Mick McCarthy.

Blackpool - couldn't care less. Nothing against the club themselves but Holloway's a tvvat. Came out in the media earlier in the season saying that they'd got an exclusive option on Luke Varney to turn his loan deal permanent for £250k if they wanted. In reality they had no such option and he was just trying to stop anyone else from going in for him in January.

Glad to see Birmingham down as well. I like McLeish, but 38 goals scored last season, 37 this season, they're like the anti-Blackpool.

All in all, WHU, Brum and Blackpool - quite satisfied with that. I suspect that somehow Gold & Sullivan will finance them spending enough to go back up. Brum and Blackpool will probably be around mid-table. I expect Reading or Swansea to be there or thereabouts again next year, Forest probably, Cardiff probably, Leeds probably, maybe Millwall, Burnley etc.
Well I don't know, I think West Ham have a whole heap of debts, and even if they sell off the family silver they might not be that well off, but I think a lot will depend on the manager.

Blackpool will slip back into anonimity I think, but I fancy Birmingham to go stright back up again, although it'll depend how distracting europe is (they are in Europe now right?)

I actually think Cardiff and Forest might drop out of contention for the top six this year, nerves are going to mean neither fancy finishing 3rd to 6th anyway.

Leeds will be there or thereabouts, and I actually expect Boro to do better next season.

I also expect Derby to do better next season (but then I always do ) I'd be happy if we finished up to tenth, though a run at the p/os would be great.