Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 28 2011, 08:16 PM   #3496
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

That picture neglects the fact it was a 50/50 the ball was in the air of course hes going for it with his foot and he got the ball first, if anything Alves pulled out of the challenge but left his leg there and I was always taught pulling yourself out of a challenge mid way can be more dangerous.

Adebayor was a clear red no doubt.
Old April 28 2011, 10:09 PM   #3497
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Great advert for Spanish football.....

I just wish that Fifa/Uefa would take a harsh stance towards simulation. As bad as some of the Madrid team are at times, they were made to look like complete amateurs by the likes of Busquets and Pedro. Barcelona are the best team in the world, and they play some of the best football that I can remember, so why the fcuk do they need cheating twats like that anywhere near their team?!
Old April 29 2011, 12:41 AM   #3498
Jax
Admiral

UEFA/FIFA really need to start using retrospective evidence to target cheats and ban them, they would soon stop it if they kept missing games because I doubt their own clubs would be happy.

The UEFA CL last night was turned into the 2006 World Cup where diving and simulation + bad refs wrecked that tournament and threatens to derail the standard of football in the CL.
Old April 29 2011, 10:54 PM   #3499
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

Great game between Real Madrid and Barcelona last night.

Looking forward to Liverpool's game against Newcastle on Sunday because it's been a little while since I've been to a Liverpool Newcastle game.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 11:07 PM   #3500
Jax
Admiral

Jonny wrote: View Post
Great game between Real Madrid and Barcelona last night.
Great? no am sorry that tarnished football in such a bad way that both clubs should be thrown out of the CL next year it was horrible.

Great games are Arsenal 3-3 Spurs or Man Utd 4-3 Man City, Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle. Great end to end football with goals, passion and mistakes...not diving every 20 seconds.
Old April 30 2011, 09:17 PM   #3501
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

See the Fabregas speculation is sparking off again. He's clearly too honest for La Liga. Greaseball going to Madrid was appropriate, but genuine players should stay well clear.
Old May 1 2011, 12:40 AM   #3502
Jax
Admiral

Forest are in the playoffs barring a huge win for Leeds and massive defeat for Forest due to our 6 goal advantage in the goal difference. Now for the crushing 2nd leg wipe out
Old May 1 2011, 12:23 PM   #3503
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Phew, might finally be able to finish my Forest Playoffs Implosion DVD trilogy. The Yeovil and Blackpool ones need a bookend......

Besides, it's common knowledge, we're the only side that Billy can get promoted through the playoffs.....
Old May 1 2011, 05:35 PM   #3504
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Good chance it'll be Cardiff acting as your bookend!

So QPR are promoted... until Friday at least. I want a proper promotion really, rather than a hollow one. Then again, they shouldn't bloody cheat, should they? So it's their problem, not mine, and I'll toast our promotion.

I'd rather go up having won our last two games and Pompey/Marlon King making Norwich slip-up.

I just read an interesting comment on this actually - is it fair in the slightest to drop QPR into the play-offs? All of sudden it's not some inconsistent team involved, it's the best in the league. Wouldn't it be fairer on Swansea, Reading and Forest to take enough points to make them finish 7th instead?

Sorry, but since the 15-points rumour started, it's all I can think of without a game to go on a Saturday! The letter of the post-Tevez law says they have to have a deduction, and the FA are hardly known for doing anything sensible/proportionate!

Edit: and why the hell wasn't this sorted out months ago!?
Old May 1 2011, 10:18 PM   #3505
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

They needed to wait and see how many points they could dock them without it affecting their promotion.

It'll be a symbolic punishment. I imagine that what they really wanted was to dock them enough points to drop them to second - they get promotion but not as champions. Sadly, as Norwich and Cardiff are neck and neck the FA can't do it.

I'd pay good money to see QPR shunted into the playoffs. I know what you're saying about it not being fair on the other clubs in the playoffs, but it'll give Colin a coronary, and that's well worth it.
Old May 2 2011, 01:06 PM   #3506
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Edit: and why the hell wasn't this sorted out months ago!?
This is what baffles me.

Anyway, one more win (hopefully today against Plymouth) and Saints are back up into the Championship
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 11:24 AM   #3507
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ Well done the Saints!

Whereas we lost 0-3 to Middlesbrough. A more depressing way to fall into the play-offs I cannot imagine.
Old May 3 2011, 02:20 PM   #3508
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

And then Norwich beat Pompey to get automatic promotion. Very good achievement for them to have successive promotions.

And in The Championship next year we'll have (barring a miracle) Saints, Brighton, Pompey and possibly Bournemouth if they win the play-offs. A south coast revival!
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 02:27 PM   #3509
Starkers
Admiral

I'm quite pleased because my best mate's a Brighton fan, also another friend is a West Ham fan but obviously it'll be a bit of a come down for him next season...probably!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 06:35 PM   #3510
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

At least he'll have the immense joys of the West Ham-Millwall derby.