New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 19 2011, 04:24 PM   #3466
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

In terms of the budget, we'll have what it takes to prise him away from Watford in the summer. With Savage going, Varney, Porter and Bywater likely to join him, possibly Leacock as well, and with Commons and Hulse already going, there's going to be loads of room in the wage budget, and from the sounds made by Glick in recent weeks it sounds as though the transfer funds will be there as well.

Bowyer - know what you're saying, but I actually think he might do alright for us now. Seems to have mellowed a little in the last couple of years, certainly in comparison to his days at Leeds. Eustace is another one mentioned, but I thought that he was distinctly average when he was here the last time.

Ward and Robinson - completely agree. Ward is rapidly becoming a bit of a revelation of late. He'll be a definite asset if we get him. Robinson, hmm, less sure. As you say, bags of pace, but offset by a lack of finesse/control/skill. Might be because he's young, but the fact that Millwall were willing to let him go not long after paying a fee for him would tend to suggest that they were disappointed with what they'd got for their money. Hopefully, if we get him, then the consistency will come as he plays more games.

The Ex-player factor - so so true - also works in reverse - Stern John scores for everyone when they play us, soon as we sign him on-loan, couldn't score in a knocking shop!
Old April 20 2011, 09:53 AM   #3467
Starkers
Admiral

To be fair Stern John didn't get a fair crack of the whip from Derby fans. He's limited but he would have scored goals for us. The Robinson situation is a bit odd, I'd heard it was a homesickness thing, he just couldn't settle in London but it might never really come out. I don't mind us getting him if the idea is for him to be the 3rd or 4th choice striker, the one we bring on late in the game to run at the opposition, and to be honest it'd be nice to have options next year even if he is limited.

Bowyer would expect big wages though wouldn't he? Thats the downside if you free up loads of wages from Sav/Commons etc then just spend them all on another aging big name? We definitely need more leadership both on the pitch and in the dressing room, Sav must be a huge presense.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 12:45 AM   #3468
Jax
Admiral

Billy Davies it seems, wants to bring Michael Owen to Nottingham Forest on a free in the summer Keep dreaming Billy D though how about some FRACKIN defenders.

We have quite a few players out of contract in the summer and we look set to lose up to 1/4 of the squad at this rate.
Old April 21 2011, 08:56 AM   #3469
Starkers
Admiral

Well you do need another striker...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 12:51 PM   #3470
Jax
Admiral

About 7 more should do it

Real Madrid defender dropped the Spanish Copa Del Rey trophy during the bus parade and it was crushed what an idiot.
Old April 21 2011, 01:19 PM   #3471
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ It was Ramos, muppet!

The video's up on the BBC website for everyone's amusement.

Owen to Forest?
Old April 22 2011, 04:34 PM   #3472
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Bloody hell I'm nervous about tomorrow's game. Why does it have to be live on national television?!
Old April 22 2011, 06:17 PM   #3473
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Good luck. Maybe I'll watch if I remember.
Old April 22 2011, 11:04 PM   #3474
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Bloody hell I'm nervous about tomorrow's game. Why does it have to be live on national television?!
Well I'll be supporting Cardiff, can't stand Colin Wanker so it's a no brainer.
Old April 23 2011, 01:38 PM   #3475
Roger Wilco
Admiral

After my first half of Championship football since, ehm, maybe ever, I have to say, I'm not that impressed by the individual skill of the players or the tactics, but the speed is just mindboggling; that single-mindedness to get to the opposing goal as quickly as possible is remarkable and the fighting spirit as well. And the three goals were spectacular too.

I much prefer that sort of football to Manchester United/Chelsea boring perfectionism or Barca tiki-taka.

eta: oh well, too bad QPR managed to equalise. But if that is what games are usually like in this league it looks a lot more fun than Premier League anyway.

This Taarabt guy is something though, isn't he?

Last edited by Roger Wilco; April 23 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 04:30 PM   #3476
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Yeah, Taarabt is excellent, and yes, this league is more exciting.

I've just got my breath back. Not the worst result, we gave it everything today and I don't see much shame in drawing with the champions-elect. They were there for the taking though, and were far from the best we've played against this season (Watford, Norwich and Leicester for 45 minutes were all much better). At least we denied Colin getting promoted on our patch!

Oh, and I can assure you Bothroyd has never scored a goal like that in his life. We were dumbstruck.
Old April 25 2011, 06:19 PM   #3477
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Ha. We relegated one of our bogey teams, Preston, at their own ground.

Norwich though
Old April 25 2011, 06:26 PM   #3478
Jax
Admiral

Forest have a 2 point gap in 6th now and our final 2 games are with relegation contenders Scunthorpe and Palace BUT we normallt struggle against teams at the bottom

4 points will do it due to our goal difference but were leaking far too many goals lately so I think we will miss out.
Old April 25 2011, 08:14 PM   #3479
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I think you'll get if you have those two - Scunthorpe are down and Palace are safe, barring a 20-odd goal swing...
Old April 25 2011, 08:23 PM   #3480
Jax
Admiral

I don't fancy our chances in the playoffs due to our weak defence and most likely a 6th place finish = Cardiff or Norwich who will most likely beat us especially Norwich.

Edit - Millwall are in the frame now after Leeds and Burnley dropped points and they have a better goal difference than us so 4 points might not be enough.