Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 13 2011, 08:45 PM   #3451
Servo
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post
But the deal is not a good one for Spurs, why give up Bale for Rio who has 12-24 months ish left in him probably.
Of course it's a good deal if we make it a player + cash offer. They'd get a massively experienced defender who can marshall their defense and give them more strength at the back, and something in the region of £15m on top of that.

Plus, I reckon Bale would want to come here so he can play in the same squad as Giggs before he retires.
Old April 14 2011, 09:15 AM   #3452
Starkers
Admiral

I think that values Bale too cheaply, yeah Rio's good, but he's old and increasingly injury prone. I think utd would have to sweeten the deal better than Rio plus just £15 million.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 07:54 PM   #3453
Jax
Admiral

Forest lead 1-0 within 3 minutes at Norwich...Now lets see how we can let slip this game on tv like the rest
Old April 15 2011, 10:18 PM   #3454
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Prophetic words, but you do it so well.......!

Trying to decide who I want to get that final playoff spot is tricky - Forest, Leeds, Millwall? Thank God Hull are in with a shout!
Old April 16 2011, 11:36 AM   #3455
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

That was one hell of a freakish fluke goal though!
Old April 18 2011, 09:52 AM   #3456
Starkers
Admiral

So it's a Man city Stoke final. On the down side I don't really like either of them, but on the plus side at least one of the usual suspects isn't gonna win the cup (ok City will probably soon be one of the usual suspects, but at the moment they still haven't won the cup in 30odd years!)

I think Stoke could turn them over however...

Old April 18 2011, 10:05 AM   #3457
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Arsenal vs Liverpool yesterday seems to have been fun (although Wenger won't have enjoyed it much), I don't think I've ever seen a game with 12 minutes injury time.
Old April 18 2011, 10:30 AM   #3458
Jax
Admiral

Wenger needs to stop acting like a baby at times, he seem to refuse to shake Kenny's hand. The injury time was right because of the horrific Carragher incident and then the other 4 minutes were mainly there because the most of that was taken up by Arsenal goal celebrations, Arsenal players pissing around in the wall for the free kick and the same for the penatly kick.

Wenger needs to concentrate on his players not kicking other players in their 18 yard box when there running away from goal
Old April 18 2011, 05:54 PM   #3459
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

That Arsenal-Liverpool game was the funniest thing I've seen in football for a while. Wenger has only his own players to blame for the time rolling over so much - why did they take so long to set up the wall against Suarez, or set the ball for the penalty? What on earth was Eboue thinking!? Comedy gold though, when Dalglish told Wenger to piss off - it's about time someone did.

I'm backing Stoke for the Cup. I hate Man City and hope they win nothing. Also, Stoke knocked Cardiff out and I have a grudging respect for whichever team does that, so wish them well. Also, Stoke are not the wretched anti-football side the media try to perpetuate the stereotype of. Yes, they can mix it and hoof it and rely on a long throw, but they play some tidy stuff against a lot of teams.

Also, Pulis is a Newport boy so I have something in common with him.

Cardiff City, meanwhile, continue to romp to promotion glory...
Old April 18 2011, 06:08 PM   #3460
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Only Arsenal could take the lead in the 98th minute and still not win......!

Congrats to Stoke. Hometown team, although I've never supported them. Bolton just didn't turn up yesterday, and Stoke were brilliantly clinical.
Old April 19 2011, 05:52 AM   #3461
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Thanks a bunch Derby - now QPR might actually be trying against us on Saturday
Old April 19 2011, 10:25 AM   #3462
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Think we must have played a different QPR to most teams this season as both times we've played them they've looked decidedly average. Should probably have taken 4 points off them this year, arguably all 6. 2-0 up going into injury time at our place, and then had the best chance last night as well.

Still, another point closer to safety. 9 points clear of 3rd bottom now with far superior GD and only 12 points to play for.
Old April 19 2011, 10:48 AM   #3463
Starkers
Admiral

Poor old Tarrabat wasn't very happy when he was subbed was he

Was a good game, if we could play like that more often, and if we get a few more bodies in in the summer, then we should have a much better season next year!

You might disagree, but games like that suggest to me we could do a lot worse than offer Robbie one more year (on vastly reduced wages) especially given we've lost Greeny for 9 months. I think Sav would snap our hands off if we offered, and I get the feeling he's getting cold feet about retiring.

My only real panic last night came when Hulse came on...but he was a bit anonymous really!

Old April 19 2011, 12:35 PM   #3464
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think my preference would be to get someone who could fill the Savage role, without it actually being Savage. I like Savage, and am not one of his boo-boys, but I do think that another year's going to push it in terms of him becoming a liability. He has been at times this season already, and whilst he has some good games, he has just as many anonymous ones as well when teams work the ball around him. I'd like to see a 30 year old midfielder coming in, experience preferably at premier league level and still has a few years left in the tank to mentor the likes of Bailey and Addison through games. I know one player that we're interested in for the summer is such a player, Lee Bowyer. Although I'd imagine we'll join a list of clubs after him.

I was concerned when Hulse came on, usually former players always score against us. Thankfully, not this time!

In terms of the summer, the Fielding transfer is done and dusted, Robinson and Ward will apparently be here as well, and then another six or so on top of that. One striker that we're supposedly interested in that I wouldn't mind seeing back here is Danny Graham. Rubbish the first time he was here, but a lot maturer striker now and banging them in for Watford.
Old April 19 2011, 02:25 PM   #3465
Starkers
Admiral

The Graham rumour is weird because I remember him being shite for us last time, but then again he was v young at the time. I do wonder how we're supposed to prise him away from Watford on our budget! I also fear he might be one of those strikers who has one fantastic season, then reverts to being rubbish!

Know what you mean about Sav, the Bowyer rumour's been floating around for a while, I just see Savage as a smarter and better role model for our youngsters if I'm honest...although maybe Bowyer's mellowed a bit with age?

Definitely want us to sign Ward, less certain about Robinson...quick and tricky but his end product seems terrible!

My Villa fan mate came to watch the game l;ast night, when Hulse came on he said everyone fears their ex players...I had to point out Derby had more right than most to be worried...not surfe of any other team who had a former goalie score against them!