Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 3 2011, 04:25 PM   #3421
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Sorry Derby, but you were easily the worst side to pitch up at our place this season. And Hull and Palace were bloody awful back in September. However, they weren't so bad let Paul Quinn of all people score past them.

Derby had, from where I was sitting, about two chances all game. And one of them was miraculously turned from certain goal to miss of the season by Steve Davis. I've never seen anything like it, absolutely unbelievable.

Bigger tests ahead for us in the last 7 games (and only one more home Saturday 3pm KO due to TV games ) but we dominated Derby yesterday and left the result in no question. It was a rare occasion where we actually felt two goals would be enough. We usually need three.

And we leapfrogged Swansea thanks to Preston's win over them. A good day all round.
Old April 3 2011, 05:06 PM   #3422
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the sooner this season's over the better at the moment.

If we'd had this side all season then we'd probably already be down. Luckily we had Hulse at the start, and Commons until January, both of whom helped us amass enough points. I can't see us going down simply because we're too far clear of the zone at the moment, but that's lucky for us, as the side we have now is, for me, one of the worst in the division.

Over to the owners - either you finally invest on the pitch in the summer or this time next year we'll have booked our place in the third tier. The only upside should that happen is that the current bunch of tvvats at the helm will literally be chased out of town with pitchforks.
Old April 4 2011, 09:44 AM   #3423
Starkers
Admiral

Commons yes, but Hulse? He barely played before we sold him to QPR, and quite frankly he hasn't pulled up any trees with them. but yeah, without Commons we might have been in serious shit--or maybe not, if he hadn't been here things might have reached the tipping point of protests/relegation a lot sooner, so there might have actually been investment in January... who knows.

Naively I feel that Glick and co now realise there has to be investment in the summer, we can only hope it arrives!

I do feel GSE were right to hang onto Clough, I can't believe Notts have got rid of Ince at this stage of the season, how bloody pointless is that!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 12:32 PM   #3424
Jax
Admiral

Forest's own season continues to implode with help from the refs. On saturday our sub bench had 5 strikers with 2 of them doubling up as wingers nice balanced squad there Billy.

You cannot score your way out of trouble Billy, you need to stop leaking goals first.
Old April 4 2011, 12:56 PM   #3425
Starkers
Admiral

Typical Billy I'm afraid. He seems very good and getting a team rolling, but if the momentum slips/stumbles he seems incapable of picking it back up again.

That said, five strikers on the bench...oh what luxury!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 08:03 PM   #3426
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hahaha, to get a yellow-red card 15 minutes into the CL quarter fucking final as a striker is quite the achievement in stupidity.

eta: fucking crazy game in Milan too, incredible.

Last edited by Roger Wilco; April 5 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 11:43 PM   #3427
Iasius
Rear Admiral

WTF Schalke?!
Old April 6 2011, 11:34 AM   #3428
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Sublime goal from di Maria. Gomes was a clown for the first and fourth goals.
Old April 7 2011, 04:45 PM   #3429
Jax
Admiral

FA uphold the pathetic 2 match ban for Rooney for saying a naughty word . The cameraman came onto the pitch, a breach of the rules and then shoved a camera right in his face, I would of told him to fuck off as well.

The amount of crap other players get away with and it now spoils the FA Cup Semi Final by removing one of the best players out of it.

FA how about you find something useful to do with your time.
Old April 7 2011, 06:36 PM   #3430
Servo
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
FA uphold the pathetic 2 match ban for Rooney for saying a naughty word . The cameraman came onto the pitch, a breach of the rules and then shoved a camera right in his face, I would of told him to fuck off as well.

The amount of crap other players get away with and it now spoils the FA Cup Semi Final by removing one of the best players out of it.

FA how about you find something useful to do with your time.
The thing is, the FA have opened a can of worms with this. They have made the mistake of specifying this charge as being for foul and abusive language, not foul and abusive language into the camera. So now, if the FA want to maintain any form of consistency, they're going to have to start banning other players too for general swearing whether it's into a camera or not. John Terry let out a rather audible "fucking hell ref" during last nights game when he disagreed with a decision. Bet nothing comes of that though.
Old April 7 2011, 06:43 PM   #3431
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't really know what's with the Rooney story, but

Servo wrote: View Post
John Terry let out a rather audible "fucking hell ref" during last nights game when he disagreed with a decision. Bet nothing comes of that though.
if the referee doesn't sanction that I don't see why the football association should. Obviously the referee must have decided it was a general expression of frustration and not an insult directed at him, so why should he be overruled?
Old April 7 2011, 07:23 PM   #3432
Servo
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't really know what's with the Rooney story, but

Servo wrote: View Post
John Terry let out a rather audible "fucking hell ref" during last nights game when he disagreed with a decision. Bet nothing comes of that though.
if the referee doesn't sanction that I don't see why the football association should. Obviously the referee must have decided it was a general expression of frustration and not an insult directed at him, so why should he be overruled?
The fact that the referee didn't sanction Rooney is the reason why the FA stepped in and charged him. According to FA rules, if the ref had booked him for abusive language on the pitch they would have had no place to charge him after the fact. So if Terry wasn't sanctioned by the ref, the FA would be well within their rights to charge him for misconduct. It just goes to prove their double standards.
Old April 7 2011, 08:24 PM   #3433
Roger Wilco
Admiral

A deliberate non-sanctioning is a decision too though. The only scenario where such a retrospective sanctioning should be possible imo is when the referee couldn't and didn't notice the incident in question.
Old April 7 2011, 08:36 PM   #3434
Servo
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
A deliberate non-sanctioning is a decision too though. The only scenario where such a retrospective sanctioning should be possible imo is when the referee couldn't and didn't notice the incident in question.
No offense, but it's not a question of your opinion or mine. The ref didn't take any action against Rooney, so the FA did. It's set a precident now, based off how the FA have defined this charge, that anyone who uses deliberate foul language on the pitch, whether it's directed at a ref or not, is liable to be banned. If they remain consistent and charge everyone then players will be getting banned all over the place. If they don't, it's a double standard.
Old April 11 2011, 08:01 PM   #3435
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

So how low will Forest finish? 3-4 home loss to Reading reads like one of their infamous play-off results! I think spots 1-4 are set now, with just 5 and 6 left to fight for. Reading will get one, and Leeds/Milwall the other.

Forest could finish around 10th at this rate. This is proper decline at the wrong time.