RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,710
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 792
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 15 2011, 11:24 AM   #3316
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
And I have the strangest sense of deja vu!

I give Gadsby credit for being local and, so I believe, and actual fan, but does he really have the financial backing to do any better than GSE's backers? I mean last time he bought us he'd got rid within 18 months....I'd just hate for us to go through the same cycle again with him selling us off to the first promising buyer on the horizon.

If I'm honest I wish there was a third alternative, but then again that might be someone from the middle or far east so maybe it's better the devil you know!
I don't think that Gadsby's the best option, but he's the better option than GSE in my opinion. I think there's more money knocking around the division than the last time Gadsby took us over, so their spending power wouldn't stretch as far as it did then. However, he certainly wouldn't spend any less than we're currently spending. Gadsby at seems to be aware of the concept of speculating to accumulate.

I welcome this news I have to say. There have been a few e-mails from Andy Appleby that have made their way into the public domain over the past few weeks that would seem to suggest that they now realise that we were a bad investment for them. That being the case it's hard to see them investing any more monies. If that's the case, time to move on IMO.

I think with Gadsby, he'll have learn't from the previous experience. He won't make that mistake again.
Well let's hope not, and I just hope that his business plan doesn't revolve around borrowing millions and getting us into financial trouble again.

As someone pointed out, he made his offer at the same time last year, ie just before all the season ticket renewals.

I don't think he's the best option, but he might be the only option, it just worries me if we keep going back to him like a comfortable ex or something!

That said at least we'd know who bloody owned us!

I just worry that the people who do own us are so wealthy they don't need to sell, and for all the negative press GSE can still point to us as a big part of their portfolio, so they may not want the ownders to sell either.

Just for once it'd be nice for DCFC to have a bog standard season of mid table mediocrtity!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2011, 11:58 AM   #3317
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Following Derby since the mid 80s I think I can literally remember one season in all that time where we weren't involved in either a promotion race or a relegation dogfight!

I think, regarding Gadsby and his spending, the only time he borrowed heavily was in the summer prior to the Premier League campaign, but that was leveraged against the guaranteed TV monies, hence not really that problematic, or risky at least.

I think it's definitely a case of better the devil you know, and at the moment, I don't think anyone's quite sure what the score is with our current owners. They have more money than some small countries but they won't invest on the pitch? I'm at a loss as to just how they expect to get us into the Premier League on that footing.
Old February 15 2011, 12:22 PM   #3318
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah it's odd when you think that they could probably placate a lot of fans with quite modest investment?

I know he wasn't perfect, but I don't think any of us realised how lucky we were when Lionel was in charge.

Old February 15 2011, 01:37 PM   #3319
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Indeed. Sensible, modest investment, that's all that's needed.

The last time PG bid, he pledged £5m instantly for transfers. That would be enough to make a decent start IMO. I'm not sure that GSE have spent £5m in total on the pitch since that initial January splurge in the Premier League.
Old February 15 2011, 01:52 PM   #3320
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah but that £5 million figure was very vague. Was it purly for transfers (in which case where was the money for wages coming from?) or was it for transfers and wages (in which case it likely wouldn't go as far as it looked, even 5K a week for a two year contract is still over half a million quid). As for GSE spending 5 mill post the Prem, well Hulse was 1.7, Varney a million, Ellington a million (loan fee) Barker was 900K, Steve Davis was 200K (if I recall) so that's almost five million there, not even factoring in how much all those free transfers of Jewell like Green, Commons, Connolly etc actually cost in wages/signing on fees.

Old February 15 2011, 05:03 PM   #3321
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yes, I remember it being a bit vague, but I can't imagine the £5m would have included wages/signing on fees etc. Unfortunately the bid never got far enough to be scrutinised further.

It's clear that GSE have spent more than £5m on fees, but a proportion of that at least came from the sales of Earnshaw, Miller, Jones etc.

I'd be interested to know what the wagebill was at the end of the promotion season. I think the LoG invested somewhere between £6m-£9m during that season. They also achieved that alongside reducing the debt by a fair amount.

You're right though, not the best option and the bid definitely needs to be scrutinised.
Old February 16 2011, 03:06 AM   #3322
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Am surprised Spurs won tonight and with Bale back for the return leg, they should easily finish off AC Milan. However seem AC went the route of becoming unruly thugs like a spoilt Kid whose losing on the park...

am sure UEFA will do NOTHING
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 09:13 PM   #3323
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Pretty amazing game Arsenal:Barca from both teams so far, it doesn't get mch better than that...
Old February 16 2011, 09:45 PM   #3324
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Arsenal started well, and have put together a few lovely moves, but Barcelona, still, are on a different planet to everyone else.

Two fantastic footballing sides, but Barcelona still have the edge.
Old February 17 2011, 05:51 AM   #3325
Jax
Admiral

Arsenal were good in the 2nd half though probably didn't deserve to win. I would love Arsenal to make it to the las8 cause I want a Spurs/Arsenal CL match...However I think Barcelona will win 3-1 or 4-1 in the return leg, I really do think Barca will step it up and crush Arsenal like last season.

How Capello can think Wilshire is a holding player after that is beyond me. Jack was superb, better than Cesc at going forward and linking up the play...he never looked udner pressure on the ball, calm and accurate. I agree with Sports writer Henry Winter who said Gerrard deep, Wilshire forward behind Rooney in the hole.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old February 17 2011, 08:40 AM   #3326
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yeah, good second half from Arsenal. Helped by Barcelona easing off, but still they had to take their opportunities and they did magnificently. Agree, I don't think 2-1 will be enough but at least they've kept the tie alive and given themselves a chance in the second leg.

Walcott played well in the first half, and Lennon had a good game for Spurs the night before.
Old February 17 2011, 09:30 AM   #3327
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Walcott played well in the first half, and Lennon had a good game for Spurs the night before.
Walcott and Lennon both should be in the ENG squad at the same time though in the next game I would put Theo on the left and Milner on the right to combat the threat of Bale. The problem with Lennon is Spurs play open attacking football and England DON'T, so he can't be as good for the Three Lions.

Redknapp for England in 2011 I say not 2012.
Old February 17 2011, 09:19 PM   #3328
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The real result of the night came at Glanford Park, of course, not the Emirates.

Although, Arshavin's goal was sublime.
Old February 18 2011, 02:01 AM   #3329
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Italian Perspective - Milan vs Spurs

And we thought Soccer Saturday was a little OTT.

Particular highlights are the reactions to the Spurs goal, and the Ibrahimovic disallowed goal.

Hilarious!
Old February 18 2011, 04:39 AM   #3330
Jax
Admiral

^ They all need help