Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 27 2011, 08:12 PM   #3271
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Wouldn't surprise me if Keys and Gray turn up on ESPN.

Commons to Celtic - Bah. I'd have respected him if he'd said at any point that he was looking to leave, but instead he's strung everyone along and d1cked the club about, even when we offered him exactly what he'd wanted. Shouldn't be surprised though I guess, it's exactly what he did to Stoke and it's exactly what he did to Forest. He's just a mercenary.

Glick's said that Clough will get the money to reinvest immediately. Whoopy doo, £300k Tom, thanks for that. Hardly enough to get a player from the lower leagues in, let alone a replacement for our most influential player.

So, likely another transfer window where we do fcuk all but get rid of our best players and replace them with loanees, bargain basement signings, or don't even bother.

The sooner this shower are far away from the club the better.
Old January 27 2011, 11:40 PM   #3272
Starkers
Admiral

Well I've decided not to rant till at least the window closes (at which point they'll obviously spin the "It's ok the emergency loan window opens soon!" line)

I guess if come next week we've signed Waghorn and Ayala(sp) on loan and bought that guy from Kilmarnock then it won't have been a terrible window. One out four in...

Somehow I doubt it'll be that good!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2011, 02:54 PM   #3273
Jax
Admiral

It seems Chelsea may have made a BIG bid for Torres who has told Liverpool he would like to talk with Chelsea according to The Mirror. Sell him Liverpool you could use money to rebuild squad not too mention I would cash in on Reina and Glen Johnson too + sell of some of the fringe players...

Liverpool could rebuild a good squad over the next 6 months if they are smart.
Old January 28 2011, 08:29 PM   #3274
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Bid agreed and made for Suarez. They should get him and sell Torres. Lot of change leftover there for some real full-backs.
Old January 28 2011, 10:43 PM   #3275
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Well I've decided not to rant till at least the window closes (at which point they'll obviously spin the "It's ok the emergency loan window opens soon!" line)

I guess if come next week we've signed Waghorn and Ayala(sp) on loan and bought that guy from Kilmarnock then it won't have been a terrible window. One out four in...

See another constant link, Charlie Austin's signed for Burnley. I'm beginning to see what our transfer approach is; make intimations and insinuations about players, wait until someone else signs them and then bemoan how unlucky we were to be pipped to the punch.

Besides Commons we've also let three of the youngsters go, including Mitch Hanson who can't have been that far off the squad at this point. Disappointing.

Ayala and Waghorn would be decent loan signings, but even if we did get them, which is by no means certain, then we're still replacing the influential players that we've lost with loanees. We're back to square one in the summer when the loanees go back. No doubt then we'l get more Glick-n-spiel in order to flog more season tickets.

Jax wrote: View Post
It seems Chelsea may have made a BIG bid for Torres who has told Liverpool he would like to talk with Chelsea according to The Mirror. Sell him Liverpool you could use money to rebuild squad not too mention I would cash in on Reina and Glen Johnson too + sell of some of the fringe players...

Liverpool could rebuild a good squad over the next 6 months if they are smart.
Definitely get rid of Johnson, and some of the other peripheral players, but I'd keep hold of Torres. The problem with Liverpool is that they only really have Reina, Gerrard and Torres who'd describe as AAA players. I'd let any of the others go and then build the team around those three. Suarez is a fantastic signing if it goes through, you can see a Torres/Suarez partnership getting a hell of a lot of goals. You just wonder though whether they're bringing Suarez in because they can then flog Torres to Chelsea.
Old January 30 2011, 08:47 PM   #3276
Jax
Admiral

Adam Johnson out for at least 3 months and really including getting match fitness he could miss the rest of ENG's games this season. Denmark, Wales (Q/F), Ghana and possibly Switzerland (Q/F).

I hope Milner plays on the right against Wales anyway to keep Bale in check but this once again shows up out lack of depth because Walcott cannot start ENG games and make an impact in my opinion, Lennon ENG form is hit/miss, Milner is only a part time winger despite what Man City may believe and Ashley Young is not international class.

I would like to see Agbonlahor on the left for a while, hes played there recently for Villa, doing well and started his career out on the left wing.
Old January 30 2011, 10:56 PM   #3277
Starkers
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post

See another constant link, Charlie Austin's signed for Burnley. I'm beginning to see what our transfer approach is; make intimations and insinuations about players, wait until someone else signs them and then bemoan how unlucky we were to be pipped to the punch.

Besides Commons we've also let three of the youngsters go, including Mitch Hanson who can't have been that far off the squad at this point. Disappointing.

Ayala and Waghorn would be decent loan signings, but even if we did get them, which is by no means certain, then we're still replacing the influential players that we've lost with loanees. We're back to square one in the summer when the loanees go back. No doubt then we'l get more Glick-n-spiel in order to flog more season tickets.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer, Savage will def need replacing, as will Porter and Davis likely (although I reckon Porter might get a new contract)

I notice Sammon scored again yesterday...wonder if his price has gone up now!

I do worry if we don't sign a striker, even on loan, before close of play tomorrow.

With regards to the youngsters you'd have to imagine they can't be up to this level of the game, I mean for a penny pinching club it would surely make more sense to hang onto them if there was a chance we could play them instead of someone we have to pay money for!

Old January 31 2011, 11:01 AM   #3278
Starkers
Admiral

Welcome to transfer deadline day! Will Torres go seeing as he's apparently put a transfer request in?

I have a very bad feeling about the day. We are interested in Sammon, but apparently Kilmarnock's asking price might be a stumbling block

Oh yeah, and looks like Palace want to sign Moxey! Now how on earth does it make sense to sell one of your left backs when defence has been shaky of late? I mean Moxey isn't brilliant, but frankly I think he's better than Roberts and more importantly a lot younger! Plus surely he's our third choice striker? Who are we going to play now when we don't sign Waghorn or Sammon and Porter and Davis clash heads in training and knock each other out until the end of the season?

Old January 31 2011, 03:07 PM   #3279
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Konchesky to Forest.

I look forward to our game there in a few weeks. Bellamy vs Konchesky. JET vs Konchesky. Chopra vs... you get the picture. Not so daunting a trip anymore.
Old January 31 2011, 03:17 PM   #3280
Starkers
Admiral

I've always rated Konchesky, I hate to say it, but good bit of business for Forest that!

Liverpool bid £30 million for Andy Carroll! The world has indeed gone crazy!

Old January 31 2011, 05:39 PM   #3281
Jax
Admiral

Would of prefered to keep Bertrand, he has no future at Chelsea so why hes not allowed to stay is beyond me. Andy Carroll being £35 million is stupid money but a good buy for Liverpool and will signal the end of Torres.

Liverpool still need at least 1 new CB, LB and Winger imo.
Old January 31 2011, 06:34 PM   #3282
Starkers
Admiral

It's ridiculous money for a player with only half a season in the prem, and smacks of desperation by Liverpool....amazing how mad the Liverpool fans were on SSN when they heard Charlie Adam was on his way too!

Torres 50 mil to Chelsea now?

Old January 31 2011, 09:00 PM   #3283
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I think it's one of the most desperate transfers of modern times, pure panic buy at a silly price. As you say, half a season in the Prem. Although, he's scored more, assisted more and has a goals-to-minutes ratio superior to Torres!

Also, the following superstars outscored him last season:
Peter Whittingham (renowned goal machine)
Michael Chopra
Nicky Maynard (had to look up who he even played for!)
Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe sensation)
Charlie 'Liverpool' Adam

There's no question though, as amusing and desperate as I find it, that Suarez, Carroll and Adam would be very impressive.
Old February 2 2011, 06:52 PM   #3284
Jax
Admiral

Another day of Fabio digging that grave a little deeper...

Despite being a friendly, hes left Micah Richards, Martin Kelly, Walker and Rodwell out of squad. The bit that really pisses me off means with 3 RB's in U21, Glen Johnson will remain at RB with no challenge despite the fact hes been shit most of season and playing at left back for Liverpool for last few games. Micah look good when he came on against France for his 1st cap in 3 years but no no no thats not good enough still.

Fabio refuses to even look at Rodwell in training BUT expect him to call up Gerrard for a pointless match with a player barely match fit due to a big injury last November followed by a 3 match suspension shortly after coming back. Lampard will probably come back too, ooo brave new changed England.

Fabio stop digging, give me the spade and let me just smack you over the head and get it over with.
Old February 2 2011, 09:04 PM   #3285
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I bet Fabio would play Chopra at home to Reading on a wet Tuesday night though.

Seriously, Dave Jones, what the hell were you thinking!? The man's on fire!

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas too, what a waste of time he is. We gave Andy Keogh a lot of stick but Christ at last he could control the ball. Back to Arsenal with him! Lee Naylor too, but he's a lost cause. Woeful, possibly the worst full-back we've ever had.

Derby day on Sunday, live on the BBC. Neither Cardiff nor Swansea has ever doubled the other, so let's hope that continues. Blowing it at home to Reading (though in fairness, we did hit the bar twice and hit at least 4 shots inches wide) in conjunction with the rest of the top 6 all winning was NOT good.