Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 10 2011, 11:32 AM   #3196
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The sad thing is that he might actually be our best option at RB at the moment. Micah Richards has seriously gone off the boil of late
To be fair Micah Richards in his 12 caps for England only ever had 1 bad game probably and his last and first cap under Capello against France shown promise I felt. He came on in the 2nd half and France stopped getting any success down that flank due to his power n pace. Micah Richards is a better defender than Glen Johnson fullstop and should be given an extended run as first choice.

However I do like what I saw from Kelly yesterday...potential indeed
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 11:45 AM   #3197
Starkers
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Not surprisingly they were making a similar observation about Johnson on 5Live before the match yesterday. Thing is though, I don't think he's currently good enough to play as a winger for Liverpool or England either. The sad thing is that he might actually be our best option at RB at the moment. Micah Richards has seriously gone off the boil of late, and that's about it, unless we start looking to the youngsters, which we probably should do. Given how well Adam Johnson's settled into the team, could be worth at least having a look at David Wheater in the role.

Crawley and (hopefully) Torquay, will be interesting. We've a fairly poor record against lower league sides in the cups in recent years, however, that's due in part to our woeful confidence at the time of those games (usually amidst a relegation battle). This time around, the confidence should be ok. Crawley have aspirations for climbing the league, hopefully that'll translate into them trying to play football tonight. If they do then I fancy our chances.

Dalglish, I can't see being anything other than a short-term interim fix. I suspect that they'll bring in someone on a more permanent basis during the summer, the interesting thing will be who that might be.
Really looking forward to the game tonight as I actually have ESPN...I usually forget its there however but useful today! Let's hope we win, the Crawley manager seems a real charmer given what I've read about him online.

The trouble with Dalglish is, the fans now have it in their heads that the owners will do what they tell em, Kenny clearly wants more than an interim job, so assuming he doesn't get them relegated I think it will be very hard for the owners to get him out now without a fan backlash!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 11:52 AM   #3198
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
To be fair Micah Richards in his 12 caps for England only ever had 1 bad game probably and his last and first cap under Capello against France shown promise I felt. He came on in the 2nd half and France stopped getting any success down that flank due to his power n pace. Micah Richards is a better defender than Glen Johnson fullstop and should be given an extended run as first choice.

However I do like what I saw from Kelly yesterday...potential indeed
Ricahrds' main problem for England was that he was more often than not played behind SWP, and consequently received very little support down that side. From memory, Richards also liked to get forward quite a bit as well, which I don't have a problem with, but as mentioned, SWP never covered when necessary.

I think it was more a drop in form for Man City rather than England which saw him dropped. Personally, I think he's a better option than Johnson.

Martin Kelly though, completely agree.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Really looking forward to the game tonight as I actually have ESPN...I usually forget its there however but useful today! Let's hope we win, the Crawley manager seems a real charmer given what I've read about him online.

The trouble with Dalglish is, the fans now have it in their heads that the owners will do what they tell em, Kenny clearly wants more than an interim job, so assuming he doesn't get them relegated I think it will be very hard for the owners to get him out now without a fan backlash!
From what I heard, Dalglish asked for a four year contract. He clearly wants the job fulltime. Whether he'll get it or not depend on a few factors though; Will they be able to attract someone 'better' in the summer? Will Kenny turn things around by the summer? Will Dalglish be a percieved big enough name to keep a hold of players like Torres?
Old January 10 2011, 12:37 PM   #3199
Starkers
Admiral

He might be big enough to keep Gerrard, but then Gerrard sees him as a legend. Torres might not have the same level of respect, although he might respond well to a fellow striker at least.

Old January 10 2011, 01:17 PM   #3200
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think, with Torres, that he will regret not moving in the summer, instead opting to 'give Hodgson a chance' - I'd imagine that he sees Dalglish as another gamble, thus requiring another leap of faith. I suspect that he'll probably move in the summer to be honest.
Old January 10 2011, 02:14 PM   #3201
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Arne't Crawley supposed to be the Man City of the Conference? I mean, bottomless pockets and arrogant, buying up all the good players just by outbidding? If so, I will go against my usual desire for upsets and demand a Derby win!
Old January 10 2011, 02:20 PM   #3202
Starkers
Admiral

Ha ha thanks for that!

The manager says that apparently when he got the job at Derby clough said "At least I won't have to go to Crawley anymore." which he said was disrespectful...of course in the saem interview he said "Crawley aren't just some Cambridge or Forest Green Rovers you know"...which seems to be just as disrespectful!

Old January 10 2011, 02:53 PM   #3203
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I miss the good old days of non-league sides being absolute gash. Ten years ago even we'd have been looking forward to our inevitable 10-0 win, and now we're praying to god that we don't slip on the banana skin!

Their manager sounds like a c**t, so I'd happily take any win tonight and then perhaps Nigel to knee him in the head at the final whistle.
Old January 10 2011, 03:12 PM   #3204
Starkers
Admiral

Sounds like a plan!

Old January 10 2011, 10:14 PM   #3205
Starkers
Admiral

40 minutes to salvage some pride! Bloody hell!

Old January 10 2011, 10:14 PM   #3206
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Right on cue, turned on BBC to see Crawley a goal up
Old January 10 2011, 10:27 PM   #3207
Starkers
Admiral

Ah Khan once said...

The game's not over yet...

Old January 10 2011, 11:01 PM   #3208
Starkers
Admiral

Pile of shit. Well done Crawley, you wanted it a damn sight more than we did.

Old January 11 2011, 10:12 AM   #3209
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Magic of the Cup eh? The guy who scored the winner works part-time in Boots!

It's only magical when it happens to someone else
Old January 11 2011, 10:31 AM   #3210
Starkers
Admiral

Magic? Hell Crawley have probably spent more money on players than we have! That's not an excuse, but they're clearly not your average non-league side...of course being beaten by a league 2 or even a league 1 side is still quite embaressment! Not an excuse though, like I say they wanted it a lot more than us.

Ah well we can concentrate on the league now